• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1984-1985

BullCityWx

I was looking at monthly temperatures at KCLT and I noticed that 84-85 featured a very warm December(50.0 avg temp-5th warmest all time) only to be followed by a January that was very cold(35.6). In fact, that January is the coldest January we've had since 1977. Can anyone give me some information on that winter? la nina? el nino? what other factors were in play that made December so warm yet January so cold?

And I know about the arctic outbreak midmonth, I'm just trying to find out what caused the flip.

Arctic outbreak????? That is all you call it?

I was a freshman in college with no met courses that year...I wish it had been a year or two later. I think you might do well with this one on the main forum.

Arctic outbreak????? That is all you call it?

I was a freshman in college with no met courses that year...I wish it had been a year or two later. I think you might do well with this one on the main forum.

yeah, lookout can feel free to move it over if he likes.

I was looking at the daily obs and to be in the single digits in Charlotte in the afternoon is nothing short of amazing. Wow.

That was an amazing outbreak! Remember it well. We wound up with 7 inches of fluff from the arctic front and temps dropped unbelievably fast that night as they fell from a high of 34 that day to 11 below by midnight! The high the next day was 4 below zero with the low being -27.

I have been waiting for some time to see a thread on 84-85. I had even thought about starting the thread myself so thanks to Queencitywx for putting this out there.

It appears as if that year was the benchmark for some areas of the southeast as there were SEVERAL snows in the south/midsouth that year, not to mention a once every 30-40 years arctic outbreak. Memphis was hit especially hard that year as was most of the state of Tennessee.

Enjoy the following links to youtube videos, but be forewarned. It will set your inner weenie on fire! I'd like to think we are headed down a similar road late month and into our better months (January and February)

Some of the videos are grainy, and it would appear this wouldn't have been a banner year for the carolinas, but for areas around memphis - they'd take a redux of 1985 and not bat an eyelash. I bet that year Memphians thought they were the new Buffalo.

One more with old school Weather Channel graphics. Pretty cool stuff and it takes me back to my childhood too.

Ha ha our cable system didn't even carry TWC in 1985 so we had to wait on the 6 o'clock local news to catch the local weather or watch CNN. I didn't even know such a channel existed. Its also weird how people recorded TWC back in the 80s. There was no internet to share the video on YouTube back then.

Ronald Reagan's 2nd Inauguration took place on 1/21/85 and had to be moved indoors due to the sub-zero temps.

So, qcwx, are you thinking there might be some connection to this year or are you just remembering better times? I see the PDO/weak Nina correlation above. Past that, I am no expert on this time frame as far as data goes. I will say that I was under my house w/ my dad thawing out pipes - brutal work. Had to make sure the light was on in the well house. Spent several Saturdays in school to make-up for the cold/snow. It was -26F where I was in KTRI at the time. Probably my favorite winter of all time. Thing is, that is like the rubber band that broke climate speaking. After that, the winters became increasingly warmer until the 2000s.

Here are some scanned historic weather observations from Kingsport for that winter:

November 1984

December 1984

January 1985

February 1985

Notice the warmth mid-December and in November. The previous summer of that winter was not terribly bad.

Here is a good article from the NWS in Newport/Morehead City w/ accompanying weather maps.... Hit it.

Here is the AO value for 1984...See pg 7

Here are some scanned historic weather observations from Kingsport for that winter:

November 1984

December 1984

January 1985

February 1985

Notice the warmth mid-December and in November. The previous summer of that winter was not terribly bad.

Here is a good article from the NWS in Newport/Morehead City w/ accompanying weather maps.... Hit it.

You can see on the 500 charts the enormity of the polar vortex over the northeast and the disturbance in the flow that had no where to go but down the west coast, through the four corners and east into the southeast creating an "old school" snowstorm. I say old school because after the 80s, we really haven't seen very many like that.

Thanks for posting those reports. Looks like December was mild YET dry, which isn't the case so far this month as we are already over 2.5 inches for the month. Will be interesting to see if we can snap the rubber band as we head into winter.

Exactly. Going to be tough to find an La Nina analog due to that. Like last winter broke the mold, the wet December is doing that this year. It's almost like we are in a climatic period that is writing its own modern-era analogs. I have a strong suspicion this has to do w/ solar factors that are well beyond our understanding, i.e. we can observe but just don't have the depth of time to understand.

Thanks for posting those reports. Looks like December was mild YET dry, which isn't the case so far this month as we are already over 2.5 inches for the month. Will be interesting to see if we can snap the rubber band as we head into winter.

I almost feel that the warm winters in the late 90s were the rubber band that snapped us back to reasonable winter weather, though snowstorm speaking we have not returned. But, I think we are on our way on a macro scale to colder winters - even if this winter is mild. Evidence for this would be increased, regular snowfall events in the 2000s for KTRI. The fact that it is snowing again in December is reassuring.

• 2 weeks later...

Was a kid in Memphis during that winter. Pretty sure we were wearing shorts in Dec...... That was the year the Memphis city schools delayed releasing the kids until we had over 6+ inches of snow on the ground. Some kids didnt get home until well after midnight.

Archived