SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Thursday Wintry Threat - Obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10:00 P.M. Waterbury update: The temperature dropped a bit more down to 33.1 F. Moderate snow continues with some flakes up to ~1” in diameter, 0.5” total snow accumulation on the snowboard. That band of 30 db echoes seems to have collapsed for now:

Haha, this was a few minutes after 10pm... I think we are probably neck and neck with this storm given the way bands are oriented and our locations. 0.4" down at 10pm.

Any recent reports from the loaf?

Been snowing at 3000' since early afternoon. No rain above 2000' or so.

It rained at 1200' in the valley from 4-6, then changed to snow at 6:30, but didn't stick.

Snow really started sticking at the base (1400') around 8pm.

I expect accumulations at the base will be modest, a heavy 10" or so, but up high, I would wager the loaf is getting pounded.

Just getting a report that it has changed to snow in Randolph. Very distinct change in character to radar echoes in that region, extending from the Randolph area between Rangeley and Rumford, Maine on up to Greenville. Beam is pretty far aloft at that range, but it does match up nicely with the report we just received.

Randolph? As in south of Augusta? Any other reports in?

Question. You work at Gray right? Based on trends, what are you thinking for total accumulations in the St. Johnsbury/ Littleton area?

I'm just spinning up my shift now, but it really looks like that area will thump between 06-09z or so. Could easily rip off 1"+ per hour rates there. I think there are going to be a lot of funky gradients because we're dealing with low level warmth, mid level warmth, and elevation issues. Right around 6" or so would be my best guess at this point.

11:00 P.M. Waterbury update: The temperature has held steady at 33.1 F. Snowfall rate has fallen off a bit, more to the light/moderate range with smaller flakes topping out around 0.5” in diameter. Not much additional accumulation this past hour, 0.6” total on the snowboard with a similar coating on grass etc. and a bit less on paved/rocky surfaces.

switched to snow in Barton/Glover at 7:15. wet, nothing sticking, was snowing steady over sheffield heights, grass accumulation only

by 10 the heights (1856') were covered with 2 inches of snow, heavy snow. expected. it but was pleasantly surprised to find temps on the N side still holding at 31F all the way back home, no pavement accums in town with the damn fog hangin on, but a mere 1.5 miles up the hill and all surfaces white at the house

be nice to see what the Newark and Westmore upper elevations get if it goes all night, adding up earlier than I imagined it would

Haha, this was a few minutes after 10pm... I think we are probably neck and neck with this storm given the way bands are oriented and our locations. 0.4" down at 10pm.

Beautiful clarity on the measurement shot PF. I think this last hour sort of packed down the lumpy flakes on the board here, thus not much gain in depth over the previous hour. We'll see what the next hour does. I'm still working, so I'll be up to take a core and get liquid at midnight.

switched to snow in Barton/Glover at 7:15. wet, nothing sticking, was snowing steady over sheffield heights, grass accumulation only

by 10 the heights (1856') were covered with 2 inches of snow, heavy snow. expected. it but was pleasantly surprised to find temps on the N side still holding at 31F all the way back home, no pavement accums in town with the damn fog hangin on, but a mere 1.5 miles up the hill and all surfaces white at the house

be nice to see what the Newark and Westmore upper elevations get if it goes all night, adding up earlier than I imagined it would

yeah. my room mate is on Newark FD, and he said they had 2" around 10pm. I bet Newark, Westmore, the heights, above 2000' pick up 10" while lower elevations of St. J, Lyndonville, East Burke, and Newport come up with 4-6"

Been snowing at 3000' since early afternoon. No rain above 2000' or so.

It rained at 1200' in the valley from 4-6, then changed to snow at 6:30, but didn't stick.

Snow really started sticking at the base (1400') around 8pm.

I expect accumulations at the base will be modest, a heavy 10" or so, but up high, I would wager the loaf is getting pounded.

Sweet observations! Please keep them coming... Sugarloaf is one of those mountains I've always wanted to visit.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.48” L.E.

Snowfall has been steady in the last hour in the light to moderate range, although we haven’t had those large flakes from before and additional accumulation has been slow with the wet snow on the board. A core sample revealed that the 0.7 inches of snow on the board contained 0.16 inches of liquid. I swapped boards and the snow began to accumulate quickly on the new, dry snowboard I set out. If the temperature continues to drop tonight and gets below freezing, I suspect accumulation will happen more easily.

Some details from the 12:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.16 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.4

Snow Density: 22.9% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Light/Moderate Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Archived