• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday Wintry Threat - Obs

Baroclinic Zone

Out of curiousity, how much liquid has fallen before snow begins accumulating? I'd be curious for a QPF analysis.

I just saw this one as I’m catching up on the thread. Since all the recent precipitation of the past couple of days has been associated with this front, I’m probably going to roll it all into the event. We had 0.20” of liquid as of yesterday morning at 6:00 A.M., and then another 0.10” as of 6:00 A.M. this morning. I looked at the gauge when I got home around 6:15 P.M. or so, and there was only 0.02” additional in it from today. Since it seemed like it might be changing over to snow, I put a fresh snowboard on the table soon after that to try to get the liquid from the start of the snow, so I should have a pretty good estimate from that point on when I do a core, but I bet it was only a few additional hundredths of liquid before the snow came in. I just checked the gauge (switched it over to snow mode) but it’s already a semi-solid pile of slush in there so I can’t get a number on the liquid in there for you at this point. Big flakes are still coming down though, I’ll check back in at 10:00 P.M.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting observation here as of 930pm:

Temp at 800' in St. J is 33.0

Temp at 1,100' here s now 32.6

Temp at 1,400' in Glover, VT is 31.8

Temp at 2,230' in Walden, VT is down to 30.4

Newport, VT at 745' is still 34.0

Precip looks kind of light up there...it's probably pulling down cooler air down by you through the column.

BTW, I'm surprised that LSC isn't a mesonet station or at least one that sends data to MADIS. I didn't see their data there...is it online somewhere? I know they have good equipment. I used to be one of the guys that worked in the Met Lab back in the 80s!

Precip looks kind of light up there...it's probably pulling down cooler air down by you through the column.

BTW, I'm surprised that LSC isn't a mesonet station or at least one that sends data to MADIS. I didn't see their data there...is it online somewhere? I know they have good equipment. I used to be one of the guys that worked in the Met Lab back in the 80s!

No kidding!! Yeah it should be a MADIS, but the Caledonia County Airport also in Lyndonville takes that spot, unfortunately. But their data can be found here, updated every ten minutes. You can live vicariously through me if you choose to...feels good to be the one getting snow, as I've been screwed over by being up here for Snowtober and back in CT for the 9'' they got here three weeks ago :P

http://meteorology.lyndonstate.edu/content/weather/data_localweather.php

Heard Carrabassett Valley ME at around 1700' went over to snow around 6:30.

Mid-level warm air at 4000' has finally been pushed out of the Mount Washington region. Summit stayed all snow, so now lower elevations should not be far behind.

http://www.mountwash...er/mesonet/?z=3

good stuff. love the obs that come from the Mt. Washington Valley.

It probably is still pretty light, but remember that northeast area of VT is a radar dead zone. GYX and BTV are both blocked by mountains and that area is a good distance from either radar site. Here along the Green Mountain spine the composite radar works good (base level never makes it far from BTV before hitting terrain), but the further you get towards LSC the less reliable the radar images are. They'll get like 8" overnight and never have more than 20dbz, lol.

Hehe, yep, just posted on that in my 9:00 P.M. observations - I didn't check what had been posted first, but I figured you would be right on top of that one!

Starting to see a nice band take shape from your area and just SE... hopefully both of us can get this to nudge northward just a bit as the surface low approaches. Those moderate returns were doing wonders for accumulations and the trees are starting to get white, grass is white, cars, white... everything but pavement.

I'm sure you are seeing the same thing, but accumulations to this point are very "lumpy" due to the aggregates. One little spot has like 1/2" and right next to that there's a hole... but that's what'll happen with aggregates up to 1" in diameter.

We are back to just light snow now though. I want that burst of yellow back, haha.

It probably is still pretty light, but remember that northeast area of VT is a radar dead zone. GYX and BTV are both blocked by mountains and that area is a good distance from either radar site. Here along the Green Mountain spine the composite radar works good (base level never makes it far from BTV before hitting terrain), but the further you get towards LSC the less reliable the radar images are. They'll get like 8" overnight and never have more than 20dbz, lol.

Yeah...I was talking up by Newport. It looked lighter than down by Lyndon or St J. I think you'll both do great!

BTW, there is some better coverage from Canada of that zone:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=QUE

This is a regional view but you can look at the individual sites as well.

Temperature is starting to fall at a faster rate now. 38.1F down .5F in past 20 minutes. Northern NH must be changing over now as snow line is getting close to NW Grafton County i would guess if Peacham VT has gone over.

We switched over a little before 9 and are sitting at 33f now. The cars are getting white now and flakes the size of potato chips are falling (Okay that is a slight exaggeration)

Yeah...I was talking up by Newport. It looked lighter than down by Lyndon or St J. I think you'll both do great!

BTW, there is some better coverage from Canada of that zone:

http://www.weatherof...x_e.html?id=QUE

This is a regional view but you can look at the individual sites as well.

Yeah, I use the radar out of Montreal here as well actually for big storms...BTV and GYX's radar suck here beyond belief, lol. Even though 70,000 people live here, you'd think they'd do something to fix it (aka put a radar somewhere in the CT river valley).

RASN at ALB now. Still 40.6F and pouring here. It's going to take awhile to erode this BL warmth on this side of the mtns. I'm actually a relatively warm spot in NH right now. Some of the low level cold is draining down the low elevations along the coastal plain from ME into E NH/NE MA. I have the same temp as PSM/ASH/MHT right now.

9:00 P.M. Waterbury update: Not too much changed for the bulk of the past hour – snowfall was fairly light in intensity and flakes were similar in size to my previous report with some up above that 5 mm diameter range. Temperature is down at touch as of 9:00 P.M. to 33.8 F. It looks like some sort of switch flipped just a bit ago though, because the snowfall intensity has really ramped up to a consistent moderate level, and some of the flakes are really big at up to an inch in diameter.

Switched over to snow in the last 15-30 minutes, giant cotton balls would be the best way to describe it. Cars and grass are just beginning to get coated.

Just getting a report that it has changed to snow in Randolph. Very distinct change in character to radar echoes in that region, extending from the Randolph area between Rangeley and Rumford, Maine on up to Greenville. Beam is pretty far aloft at that range, but it does match up nicely with the report we just received.

Archived