• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
When was the last time we had a Snowless winter in the NE?

doug1991

I would have to say snow cover that doesn't last more then a few days. Basically the

pattern we are in now where we can get snow but its gone within a day or so because

of the extreem Temp departures.

That happens all the time in the I-95 corridor or anywhere near the water. For example, average number of days with snow cover ranges from 29.1 at BDR to 27.3 at PVD to 31.6 at BOS. That means even in an average winter the ground is bare 2/3rds of the time anyway. Living along the coast I've seen winters with less than ten days of snow cover. It's much easier to retain snow pack if you live in the sticks, even in the face of above freezing temperatures because there is protection from trees and every surface isn't paved over.

Probably 2006-07 but even that allowed snow ice to stay on the ground for long periods february and beyond. Probably 2001-02 is fitting the description in your head. Low snow totals and wire to wire torch..,and mainly dry (different from this year in that regard).

I remember 06-07 being bad but once the cold came in it stay for about 2 months i believe. I remember my area hitting close to 70* in late december for some reason. Not sure how accurate that is though. IMHO 06-07 was not a total loss by any means but it was pretty poor. This season feels different to me.

That happens all the time in the I-95 corridor or anywhere near the water. For example, average number of days with snow cover ranges from 29.1 at BDR to 27.3 at PVD to 31.6 at BOS. That means even in an average winter the ground is bare 2/3rds of the time anyway. Living along the coast I've seen winters with less than ten days of snow cover. It's much easier to retain snow pack if you live in the sticks, even in the face of above freezing temperatures because there is protection from trees and every surface isn't paved over.

True. I'm in western mass. I'm very close to members Happy valley and money pit mike so we usually have snow for a large portion of the winter. The mild temps have been relentless to say the least. I had a low or 50 last night. Just awful awful pattern.

True. I'm in western mass. I'm very close to members Happy valley and money pit mike so we usually have snow for a large portion of the winter. The mild temps have been relentless to say the least. I had a low or 50 last night. Just awful awful pattern.

Western Mass., at least at elevations above 1000 feet, average about 100-105 days of snow cover per year. Even in a crappy year you probably do better than us coastal dwellers in a good year.

Probably 2006-07 but even that allowed snow ice to stay on the ground for long periods february and beyond. Probably 2001-02 is fitting the description in your head. Low snow totals and wire to wire torch..,and mainly dry (different from this year in that regard).

If it weren't for the VD Sleetstorm in 07, it probably would've fit the bill. That sleet was bulletproof and I believe it was cold for a couple weeks after allowing it to hang on for awhile...but I don't recall any snow that had staying power that year outside of that. This year has got me thinking a lot about that year...but that year was even worse. I don't think I saw flakes in central CT until January. Certainly no accumulations before January. I think our first accumulating snow that year came from a weak clipper sometime in mid January...I think I picked up an inch or so. Thanks to the Halloween storm...I think the valley in CT probably already has 50% of the snowfall we had that year.

Thanks to the Halloween storm...I think the valley in CT probably already has 50% of the snowfall we had that year.

It took until March 16, 2007 to pass this years snowfall so far. Also in 1998-99 it took until March 6th to pass this year.

2006-07 was a nightmare but 2001-02 was an even bigger nightmare despite the snowfall in the two years being equal here.

2001 - 2002 and before that 1997 - 1998...absolutely the worst in recent memory for the most people. Pretty much wire to wire torches as Jerry mentioned. Kind of irritating to have two such disasters so close together.

January 1998 is famous for the NNY/NNE/Quebec ice storm, but even up there ice predominated over snow for much of the winter.

06-07 in Western MA we received just under 1 inch of snow on Jan 31st. It was gone by 10AM on Feb 1st.

The sleet storm on Feb 14th was the first real winter weather we had, and it was ALL sleet. I had 7" inches of sleet at my house in Belchertown. It hung around for a little over a week on the ground.

After that, a couple of 1 to 2 inch storms in mid/late Feb and that was it for the winter.

06-07 in Western MA we received just under 1 inch of snow on Jan 31st. It was gone by 10AM on Feb 1st.

The sleet storm on Feb 14th was the first real winter weather we had, and it was ALL sleet. I had 7" inches of sleet at my house in Belchertown. It hung around for a little over a week on the ground.

After that, a couple of 1 to 2 inch storms in mid/late Feb and that was it for the winter.

There was a significant winter storm on March 16-17 that you left out, biggest of the year.

Even that year, I clearly remember,.. we had one hell of a snowmobile season in northern Vt,.. albeit a bit sketchy in places... I dont think there is a thing as a 'snowless winter' in new england... but I do hear stories of what the locals called the 'brown winter' .. im guessing they might be reffering to sometime in the 70's,.. but I have no clue.

Even that year, I clearly remember,.. we had one hell of a snowmobile season in northern Vt,.. albeit a bit sketchy in places... I dont think there is a thing as a 'snowless winter' in new england... but I do hear stories of what the locals called the 'brown winter' .. im guessing they might be reffering to sometime in the 70's,.. but I have no clue.

Maybe thats where the term "Snirt" came from? Kinda sounds like at 70's word doesnt it?? LOL

Archived