Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we don't get rain soon, this will go down as one the most spectacular rainfall busts I have seen in quite a while.  As of Wednesday, both the WPC and TSA had us receiving over 1.5" of rain over through Sunday with lots of clouds.  So far only .05", and both yesterday and Thursday were partly sunny and mild.

Speaking of spectacular busts, what in the world happened to Kansas at the end of the game last night?

If we don't get rain soon, this will go down as one the most spectacular rainfall busts I have seen in quite a while.  As of Wednesday, both the WPC and TSA had us receiving over 1.5" of rain over through Sunday with lots of clouds.  So far only .05", and both yesterday and Thursday were partly sunny and mild.

Speaking of spectacular busts, what in the world happened to Kansas at the end of the game last night?

LOL!!! I love it!!!

You should get some rain from this complex coming through this morning. Good luck and let us know how much you receive after all is said and done.

Well, that was exciting. The storm decided it wanted to spin up a bit near Galena so I got to see a Wall Cloud from my front porch. It didn't last long before it started crapping out, but that was crazy. 2 spotters/storm chasers reported seeing it and one said it was an anti-cyclonic rotation. I couldn't see any rotation where I was but I did see the lowering. 

"RADAR AND SPOTTERS ARE INDICATING ROTATION WITH THIS STORM. WHILE 

THE ROTATION HAS WEAKENED OVER THE PAST FEW MINUTES SPOTTERS AND 
EMERGENCY MANAGERS SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR STORM TRENDS AND 
POSSIBLE FUTURE STATEMENTS AND WARNINGS."

I live in iron Gates and this thing decided it wanted to rotate a bit (image is at 7:23) as it approached from Galena, it would have passed west of here, but it was kind of weird that it waited until it got close to Joplin to do this, lol. We had an earlier storm that passed to our east and it sent an outflow boundary back to the west, so maybe that momentarily helped ramp this one up. It did produce larger hail when it intensified a bit, but it rapidly fell apart and the hail size shrank back to pea to marble size. Underneath the hail icon on the right is the two reports of a wall cloud near Galena.

The next NWS statement had: "RADAR AND SPOTTERS ARE INDICATING ROTATION WITH THIS STORM. WHILE THE ROTATION HAS WEAKENED OVER THE PAST FEW MINUTES SPOTTERS AND EMERGENCY MANAGERS SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR STORM TRENDS AND  POSSIBLE FUTURE STATEMENTS AND WARNINGS."

2013-03-30_204409.jpg

SRV:

2013-03-30_204533.jpg

LOL!!! I love it!!!

You should get some rain from this complex coming through this morning. Good luck and let us know how much you receive after all is said and done.

After watching storm complexes go north, go south, die out as they approach, and ramp up after passing overhead, we got about .25 for the entire 4 day rainy spell. That may not be totally accurate because birds perch on the rim of the collector, crapping and dropping shells into the where the rain goes into the tipping bucket.  Who knows how much is soaked up by the gunk. So gross cleaning it out.  Of course we almost encourage it by having a nearby bird feeder, lol  :axe:

Both the GFS/Euro are coming into agreement that it may be stormy around the 8th/9th as a big system drops into the west, this time there's no northern stream system to squash it. The 18z GFS says primarily a heavy rain event with 8" of rain being put out over SW MO. Still a long way out though. 

Both the GFS/Euro are coming into agreement that it may be stormy around the 8th/9th as a big system drops into the west, this time there's no northern stream system to squash it. The 18z GFS says primarily a heavy rain event with 8" of rain being put out over SW MO. Still a long way out though. 

Oh man 8" of rain would probly make the stream behind the house flood over the high banks causing serious problems, we kinda sit downhill and lower here and just lately from all the rain and snowmelt my backyard and the woods back there is under water.....is like a lil mini marsh right now. Oh and it was sleet/snow mix here about 10 minutes ago lol, didnt last but 5 minutes though haha

Awesome photos and videos guys! That cloud reminds me of that scud cloud kinda that I asked you about last year jomo, I think it was last summer lol.

Yeah, Doug thinks it was scud and not a wall cloud despite multiple spotter reports and the NWS saying radar indicated rotation. I still think it was a wall cloud due to it's location on the SW part of the storm, radar indicated rotation and multiple spotters all seeing the same thing. It didn't last very long though before the hail core overtook it. 

Archived