• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

Quick peek at the 00z NAM reveals the continued southward trend, colder surface temps.

Yea man this was something kc was mentioning as well in their late afternoon disco. Radar is really filling in along the immediate border it looks like, it just looks like everything is going due east(was watching the local radar pop up on tv during a show)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the OKC metro is 0 for 2 this month on significant threats that have materialized on the short-term models ~6-12 hours out, so I'm not sure why I even bothered looking again tonight. But the RAP and HRRR are yet again putting forecasters on edge, this time for icing prospects. Forecast soundings between 9z-15z look convincingly in the ZR category, especially from about I-44 NW to El Reno and Guthrie, and there are persistent convective QPF signals coinciding with that spatial and temporal window.

With surface temperatures and dew points hovering just above freezing almost statewide, I'll take a skeptical wait-and-see approach on whether low-level backing overnight can really sneak subfreezing air south of the sleet profiles in N OK and beneath the stronger/deeper warm nose down here. If so, it could get nasty for someone, though I imagine it will take some "luck" to end up in a spot that racks up >0.5" LE during any window of subfreezing sfc temps. Still, some of these HRRR/RAP soundings are almost dead ringers for the December 2007 event I'm sure we all remember well.

The soundings for you SW MO folk look like nailbiters between PL vs. ZR to me, but there should be a band somewhere in NW AR, possibly into MO, that gets nailed.

Well, the OKC metro is 0 for 2 this month on significant threats that have materialized on the short-term models ~6-12 hours out, so I'm not sure why I even bothered looking again tonight. But the RAP and HRRR are yet again putting forecasters on edge, this time for icing prospects. Forecast soundings between 9z-15z look convincingly in the ZR category, especially from about I-44 NW to El Reno and Guthrie, and there are persistent convective QPF signals coinciding with that spatial and temporal window.

With surface temperatures and dew points hovering just above freezing almost statewide, I'll take a skeptical wait-and-see approach on whether low-level backing overnight can really sneak subfreezing air south of the sleet profiles in N OK and beneath the stronger/deeper warm nose down here. If so, it could get nasty for someone, though I imagine it will take some "luck" to end up in a spot that racks up >0.5" LE during any window of subfreezing sfc temps. Still, some of these HRRR/RAP soundings are almost dead ringers for the December 2007 event I'm sure we all remember well.

The soundings for you SW MO folk look like nailbiters between PL vs. ZR to me, but there should be a band somewhere in NW AR, possibly into MO, that gets nailed.

You think you'll get something down there?

I'm more concerned with freezing rain. These systems always tend to have a much stronger warm nose than progged. 

The biggest warm nose will be at 800 MB from the looks of the extracted data off the NAM for Joplin. It reaches 3.5 C by 12z, (around the time of heaviest precip) and even climbs up to 4.3 C by 15z before crashing down. It's 1.7 C at 850 MB, and 1.5 at 750 MB at 12z as well. 

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK

1000 PM CST WED FEB 20 2013

...UPDATE...

.DISCUSSION...

QUICK UPDATE TO ADD A FEW COUNTIES TO THE WINTER STORM WARNING.

REPORTS OF FREEZING RAIN AND LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATION ACROSS PARTS

OF EAST CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA HAVE ALREADY BEEN

RECEIVED...AND AREAS ALREADY BELOW FREEZING ARE UNLIKELY TO RISE

OVERNIGHT...MAKING ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION PLAUSIBLE. SOME CONCERN

THAT ADDITIONAL COUNTIES ALONG THE I-40 CORRIDOR MAY NEED TO BE

ADDED AT SOME POINT...BUT WITH THIS WAVE OF PRECIP ENDING...WILL

LET THE ONCOMING SHIFT EVALUATE TEMPS PRIOR TO THE NEXT WAVE

COMING.

Yea, we are getting absolutely slammed here in Ft. Smith. We've got anywhere from 5-7 inches of snow around town and everything is solidified in ice already from the freezing rain that has been hitting for hours. The wind is howling incredibly crazy out there as well. 

Stay safe, and hope your power stays intact. And send some snow up our way haha

Doug just updated. Calling for 1/2" -1" of freezing rain south of I-44. That's what I suspected as the warm nose is stronger than the models indicate.

I just saw that. Plus, the radar is really getting intense across Oklahoma. I wonder about surface temps toward noon. Could they warm above freezing during this time? I think that is the big question. The one major thing that was a saving grace during the ice storm of 2007 was that the roads never got bad.

I've seen more lightning and heard more thunder from this event than some of the severe thunderstorm warnings SGF has put us under. :popcorn:

I know its thundering like crazy up this way, no lightning yet. The snow was short lived and is all freezing rain/sleet mix here now. Go 5 miles to my north and its all snow with some sleet haha....the town of collins is always the cutoff line(so weird) at highway 54

Archived