• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

New Poster here.  Not really in NW Arkansas but i'm in the neighborhood.   Getting quite a bit of sleet right now with just a touch of snow mixing in.  Working on an inch or so to go with that 10+ that I got on Christmas day.  BTW---- I am a huge fan of this site.  Long time lurker......

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Poster here.  Not really in NW Arkansas but i'm in the neighborhood.   Getting quite a bit of sleet right now with just a touch of snow mixing in.  Working on an inch or so to go with that 10+ that I got on Christmas day.  BTW---- I am a huge fan of this site.  Long time lurker......

Hey welcome to the board Stumpy. Bet that 10" was great last Christmas. I was so jealous of the state of Arkansas!

A co-worker of mine drove down to Jasper, AR i(25 miles south of Harrison n a 2WD work van late this morning and found it to be snowing and the roads snow covered and treacherous enough to pull over and wait for the sun to start melting the roads.  I did not know he was headed that way, and he was totally caught off guard.  

Apparently can't post a facebook pic here, but here is a cool photo from near Ozark today.  SNOW!

Well we are only in the third quarter of the season, and we are getting enough cold air this year, just lacking moisture.  I think we should have a few more chances and we may just connect on something yet.  On the other hand, now is probably not the time to go buy a snow blower.   :axe:

Doug updated his blog with a 2 month forecast.  He is not giving up.

Wow..this is a pretty depressing forum.  Sucks to see places in the deep south and southeast getting snow and we have yet to see really anything more than a few flakes! Depressing! That NW flow has really killed our snow chances, not to mention we are already in a drought! We really need the moisture, but I am just not sure Mother Nature can give us any!

Haven't looked at the models for a few days, but I did today. GFS insists there will probably be a big storm system over the nations midsection at the end of Jan or first of Feb. 

I am pretty sure it will go north or south of us. KOLR 10 had a graphic last night showing snowfall for the season. Very heavy amounts north and south of us... heck, even Birmingham, AL has had more snow than we have!

Haven't looked at the models for a few days, but I did today. GFS insists there will probably be a big storm system over the nations midsection at the end of Jan or first of Feb. 

I saw this on Facebook last night too.  There's a met in Houston named Larry Cosgrove who posts quite a bit and seems pretty thorough and knowledgeable.  He thinks there's traction on the cold/stormy on the Southern Plains somewhere between Jan. 28th and Feb. 5.  I'm not getting excited yet.  At least it might be something to watch.  

I'm about to have ankle surgery and be on crutches for the next month so now snow isn't really ideal, but I guess I'll take it when I can get it.  

Good luck on the surgery Waterboy. Just read Cosgrove and he sounds fired up about a cold and stormy end of Jan and a lot of Feb. Maybe this will be a back-loaded winter. He references the winters of the late 50's to early 60's and the similarity to the upcoming Pacific pattern. Those winters apparently had some extreme events.

i had surgery on my right shoulder (torn rotator cuff) back on the 10.  Last few days of physical therapy have sucked 

As much as that sucks, it is supposed to suck (to a point anyway) in order to get back to full strength.  One of my good friends is a PT and I had rather painful rotator cuff injury (non-surgical), but even then she inflicted still more pain, almost mocking in the process :lmao:   (But I got better faster with the painful approach)

Waterboy good luck with your surgery. Maybe you will have time to keep an extra close watch on the end of the month threat for us.  Early February is definitely a sweet spot for those systems coming out of the 4 Corners region to lay down a swath of snow somewhere in the southern plains.  

It would be really cool if we started getting a stream of tropical Pacific moisture slamming into the SW, and we start hearing the phrase "Pineapple Express" again.   :pimp:

To everyone who has had or will be having surgeries: hope that you recover well! I know some weather to track would help how you feel immensely! :) The glancing shots of arctic air are annoying in my opinion. If it is going to be dry and sunny... it might as well be at least 65 degrees or so! :)

To everyone who has had or will be having surgeries: hope that you recover well! I know some weather to track would help how you feel immensely! :) The glancing shots of arctic air are annoying in my opinion. If it is going to be dry and sunny... it might as well be at least 65 degrees or so! :)

I made the mistake of saying that before last winter and all we got was warm dry air. I jinxed it and the atmosphere is just starting to forgive me... Next year should be a good winter! (unless you just jinxed us again)

Springfield hinting at many uncertainties for early morning thursday into the evening hours once again, mentioning freezing rain/drizzle and maybe light snow or flurries during the evening....once again they sound totally confused and lost at the current time. I guess time will tell, though it doesnt seem or look like a major event by what I see either

Just to show how unreasonable and ridiculous our stretch of non-winter these past couple of years has been here is a chart from NWS SGF on their top 10 least snowy winters. They are currently sitting at 1.4 inches this winter which would be least snowiest ever if they don't get any more this winter. Even if they measure another 1" this year it will still be #3 all-time, and the top 3 would have all occurred in the past 8 yrs. Very sad..

Least Snowiest Seasons Report - Springfield, MO

2005-2006 1.7

2011-2012 1.8

1931-1932 2.8

1889-1890 3.5

1922-1923 4.4

1935-1936 4.6

1991-1992 4.7

1949-1950 4.8

1982-1983 5.6

1971-1972 6.1

Hey all, thank you for the well wishes.  Surgery went well and I'm at home resting.  Oxycodone is heavenly!  Too bad the weather is so boring with nothing to really watch for.  Hopefully something will change here pretty soon.   I hate it when I check on here and nobody's posted anything since yesterday.  

Glad it all went well! Hope you feel better soon also

Glad it went well Waterboy! What is everyone's thinking on the freezing drizzle tomorrow night. Is it really going to amount to anything?

Looks like it would stay south and east of missouri, maybe more of a chance for you guys down that way but will be spotty light off and on type of stuff. Saturday night into sunday morning looks like we have a much more higher threat, looks like we could get a nasty round of freezing rain if the temps drop low enough saturday evening. Then it turns to rain and gets balmy out again, the highs for early next week look nice!!! Im ready for spring again as this winter is crap like the last one.

I read on TWC web site that there was a station in Oklahoma that went from -31 to 79 in one week in 2011. They said that set the record for coldest temperature in Oklahoma history, too.

Yep. It was Nowata, OK on February 10, 2011. Here is the press release from the State Climatologist:

http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/news/article/oklahoma_shatters_all_time_low_temperature_record

Monthly records (available here: http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/station_monthly_summaries) show Nowata reaching -31F the morning of the 10th, having a high temperature of 42F the next day, and reaching 79F on the 17th. 

Archived