Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet I jinxed us.

Nah you didn't, its just how it is living where we all do lol. We have to be extremely lucky and have that perfect track around here. Don't get me wrong some snow on Christmas night would be awesome but hey at least its looking to be cold instead of warm! Im sure these models are gonna continue to flop around until sunday I'm betting

00z GFS delivers a good hit for the SW 3/4 of Oklahoma and the NW 3/4 of Arkansas minus extreme NW Arkansas.

Totally need that NW trend to kick in a bit.

Yep by what models I just looked at that sampled 00z all looked to far south still, but what do I know I cant understand these things like you guys can. Some sample at different times then others right JoMo? I feel like a noob here and outta place sometimes. And the nam only goes out to 84hrs right? And yea its funny cause these suckers all seem to trend NW lol, maybe later runs will who knows

Yep by what models I just looked at that sampled 00z all looked to far south still, but what do I know I cant understand these things like you guys can. Some sample at different times then others right JoMo? I feel like a noob here and outta place sometimes. And the nam only goes out to 84hrs right?

Yeah, NAM out to 84. The GFS is running now. It's out to about 153. All too far south of here at this time for the big snows.

Yeah, NAM out to 84. The GFS is running now. It's out to about 153. All too far south of here at this time for the big snows.

Ok guess that explains why the GFS maps I was looking at were still in orange for some time runs, guess it was sampling and still is. Don't want it to far NW but jeez its just way way to far south :(

I like MoWeather Guy's positive outlook! Let's not give up quite yet.

So, I got curious and wanted to look back at the last 3 days of GFS runs using Twisterdata.com. Here's a brief recap of where the heavier snows set up. A couple of runs showed no storm at all. Again, I'm not extremely knowledgable on the meteorology side of things so this isn't extremely in depth but gives us an idea that the GFS has been all over the place with almost zero consistency run to run.

Dec. 18 12z - 1-44 storm - 12+ inches for most of I-44.

Dec. 18 18z - Huge storm for everybody from N. Tx, OK, AR, KS, and MO

Dec. 19 00z - Shifted the storm way down to MS/TN

Dec. 19 12z - Back to 1-44 storm with less QPF than previous 12z run.

Dec. 19 18z - N. OK to Central KS primary area for heavier snow.

Dec. 20 00z - SE KS to Central MO bullseye - 1-44 and north again.

Dec. 20 06z - No storm. No snow. Nothing. Nada.

Dec. 20 12z - Central Ark 1-3 inches only

Dec. 20 18z - No storm. See 06z run from earlier.

Dec. 21 00z - NW Ark and Eastern OK 1-3 inches

Dec. 21 06z - Very little snow for anyone.

Dec. 21 12z - Eastern OK, Southern Mo/ NW Arkansas - This one is the jackpot if we all want decent snows.

Dec. 21 18z - Very little snow for anyone

Dec. 22 00z - Current run showing heaviest snow from Poteau, OK to Fort Smith to Little Rock

I can't really see a trend here other than the southward shift from the Dec. 18 1-44 runs to the latest, more southern routes.

Anyone else have any additional insight they want to throw out. I don't know if this is helpful info or not.

The prior runs all had to do with phasing and if a wave to the north was going to be in the wrong position to allow it to happen. The big runs were when things phased and it turned the storm negative tilt. The other runs were when a lead wave or northern stream wave obstructed the system from developing. The more recent runs have just shown a closed low passing by and it doesn't turn negative tilt or phase until it has passed most of us.

Fairly noticeable shift NW on the 12z models today (minus the GGEM). Looking at the last 3 runs of the Euro on Wunderground. It has increased snow amounts and taken the heaviest snow band from SE Arkansas into W TN on yesterdays 12z run to SW to NE Arkansas on todays run. Another jump NW like that and we'd all be looking pretty good, heh

Euro appears to be further NW on the 12z. Still prolly not enough for some of us on here but its a start. Oz took the low from New Orleans to Roanoke, 12z from San Antonio to Nashville.

NW trend has began, I hope. Tomorrow's 12z runs will all look just like the map okie posted. ;)

Except the GGEM which will still amplify the lead wave too much.

Does the northwest trend take accumulating snow into SC KS?

The Euro doesn't have any snow for your area on todays run for this storm. It would have to trend pretty far NW to get you in the deformation zone. Unless the Euro just doesn't have enough precip on the NW side of the system.

NW trend has began, I hope. Tomorrow's 12z runs will all look just like the map okie posted. ;)

Except the GGEM which will still amplify the lead wave too much.

I would take just a 75 mile shift at this point. Dont want to be shut out on this one. I got a lot of friends over in the bootheel that are licking their chops at this point and ready to rub this one in my face. Would be great to see some snow on the ground Christmas Day.

Archived