joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z GFS was a very frigid run tonight. The storm dropping down from the north at 156 looks a bit strange. It goes on to form a low in the southeast. After 276 the Arctic gates open up and towards the end of the run, even colder air is spilling southward. No Christmas storm this run though :(

The 00z GFS was a very frigid run tonight. The storm dropping down from the north at 156 looks a bit strange. It goes on to form a low in the southeast. After 276 the Arctic gates open up and towards the end of the run, even colder air is spilling southward. No Christmas storm this run though :(

As long as its cold Christmas day thats all I care about at this point. Models will flop ya know man, they always do this far out

The 00z Euro remains persistent on a track across Arkansas with the storm next week. I do wish the track was farther south though as the 850 MB low looks like it wants to cross over SW MO.

12z GFS has our low crossing AR in the 168 timeframe but then drops it S into the SE states much like last nite's run did. Looks a little odd with that path but does produce what appears to be a swath of snow across S MO. Appears to be colder than the Euro but the 0z Euro did come in colder last nite as well. So both models are onto a potential winter weather producer 7 days out.

12z GFS has our low crossing AR in the 168 timeframe but then drops it S into the SE states much like last nite's run did. Looks a little odd with that path but does produce what appears to be a swath of snow across S MO. Appears to be colder than the Euro but the 0z Euro did come in colder last nite as well. So both models are onto a potential winter weather producer 7 days out.

Yeah, I think the GFS will get colder as we get closer (assuming the storm is still there, lol)

gfs_namer_168_10m_wnd_precip_s.gif

Also goes really cold in the long range again as well.

Thanks for the update, JoMo. Some really cold air Christmas week would be fantastic. I'll be driving to southeastern Iowa on the 22nd to spend Christmas with my wife's folks. It should be quite cold there, but I'm not getting my hopes up for any snow... yet, anyway!

Yeah it looks colder as of now, but you can never be too sure since the models are performing pretty bleh right now.

The 00z GFS tonight long range is still showing colder air moving in by the 22nd or 23rd. The southern stream delivers a disturbance by the 27th or so that is forced to move west to east due to a blocking high... The storm tracks south of most of the area which gives a lot of us snow.

Have you guys stepped outside to spend 15 minutes looking at the meteor shower? Very very impressive. I am pretty far away from metropolitan Eureka Springs, so the light pollution is minimal.

I spent most of the evening outside watching it, was very cool indeed and one of the more impressive meteor showers I have ever seen! Some of those suckers looked pretty big and trailed across the sky for awhile.

The Euro has had a pretty big storm in about 5-7 days for a few runs. Today's 12z run continues that theme with a storm at Day 4-5 or so. The storm as of right now looks to track from the TX/OK Panhandle up to north of St. Louis. This puts most of us in the warm sector until the low passes. I haven't seen the QPF maps but it's a pretty strong storm so there is probably a possibility for some wraparound snow showers at least for some of us.

Oh and this run of the 12z GFS is great. Pretty impressive long duration winter event starting on Christmas day for much of the NW 1/2 of Oklahoma eventually moving into SE KS and SW MO. Best chance for frozen would be along and NW of I-44.

Of course at the same time, the 00z Euro would have a storm that passes well to our NW and we'd probably get storms or something.

Oh and this run of the 12z GFS is great. Pretty impressive long duration winter event starting on Christmas day for much of the NW 1/2 of Oklahoma eventually moving into SE KS and SW MO. Best chance for frozen would be along and NW of I-44.

Of course at the same time, the 00z Euro would have a storm that passes well to our NW and we'd probably get storms or something.

Maybe the EURO is just a bit behind on things.;) (Or maybe we will have a tornado watch on Christmas.)

I don't need a lot of snow yet... just a bit to get me in the Christmas mood.

12z euro gives us rain JoMo, but also a little back side snow (maybe half inch)

For which system? The one near Christmas or the one in about 4 days? The Christmas one is subject change a few dozen times. I like the look of the cold air ready to charge south though.

Maybe the EURO is just a bit behind on things. ;) (Or maybe we will have a tornado watch on Christmas.)

I don't need a lot of snow yet... just a bit to get me in the Christmas mood.

That's what I'm saying. Just need a little Christmas mood snow.

Archived