• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

00z GFS shifted back to keying in on the southern s/w a little more ... less strung and a distinct PV notch over OK and KS. It's quite possible that this s/w isn't being sampled very well at the moment and is thus being underplayed ... 18z and 00z tomorrow should solidify the forecast

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CPC still shows our region having a 40-50% chance of above normal temps through the rest of the month (6-10 day, 8-14, and one month each put us in that category, respectively).

Do you think this is a legitimate forecast for our neck of the woods? I'm hearing that the rest of December looks generally chilly to cold from my local mets. What do you guys think?

00z GFS shifted back to keying in on the southern s/w a little more ... less strung and a distinct PV notch over OK and KS. It's quite possible that this s/w isn't being sampled very well at the moment and is thus being underplayed ... 18z and 00z tomorrow should solidify the forecast

Trend continues today as the s/w in question gets sampled better.

Looks like some significant changes on today's 12Z ECMWF run. Last night the southern shortwave at 108h was centered over western Oklahoma and was still fairly strung out, while this morning's makes it even more discrete and hangs it back over El Paso at the same time frame. Big differences from the 12Z GFS as well, which had the shortwave in a similar location as last night's Euro. This change has resulted in a QPF of 0.1-0.2" (not much, but it's something...) from Abilene to Dallas, with what looks to be snow flurries over Oklahoma Monday afternoon. I haven't looked at this storm in too much detail (finals period FTL) but this morning's ECMWF definitely piqued my interest, if only slightly. It goes on to form a secondary low by 00Z Tuesday with around a half inch of QPF in the Arklatex region.

Looks like some significant changes on today's 12Z ECMWF run. Last night the southern shortwave at 108h was centered over western Oklahoma and was still fairly strung out, while this morning's makes it even more discrete and hangs it back over El Paso at the same time frame. Big differences from the 12Z GFS as well, which had the shortwave in a similar location as last night's Euro. This change has resulted in a QPF of 0.1-0.2" (not much, but it's something...) from Abilene to Dallas, with what looks to be snow flurries over Oklahoma Monday afternoon. I haven't looked at this storm in too much detail (finals period FTL) but this morning's ECMWF definitely piqued my interest, if only slightly. It goes on to form a secondary low by 00Z Tuesday with around a half inch of QPF in the Arklatex region.

There certainly has been some changes the past 12-18 hours via guidance. It may not be the BIGGEST Winter event we've seen, but it has been interesting to see the changes as we get closer to this event. Perhaps we can consolidate things into another thread for this event since it does appear folks in the Southern Rockies as well as the Southern Plains may well see a bit of snow in the cold sector while we further S in the warm sector may deal with a Western Gulf Low next week as well with the secondary short wave diving S into the Great Basin.

I sure hope it starts getting colder soon, this warmth in December like this has me bummed out. Don't think I have ever seen it this warm not to mention xmas a few weeks away, need some cold air at least to stick around to get me in that holiday spirit! Looks like it gets colder for a few days then BAM right back to the 50's again bleh

18z looks a bit better long range. A bit more amplification.

The 00z GFS is bleh. A couple of storms miss us to the west, a couple to the east, lol

Still looks like we may have to deal with severe weather in about a week.

Brett Anderson is going to put the Euro monthlies up on his blog on Monday. He said it has more of a -AO look to it with the vortex in northern/central Canada.

The 00z GFS is bleh. A couple of storms miss us to the west, a couple to the east, lol

Still looks like we may have to deal with severe weather in about a week.

Brett Anderson is going to put the Euro monthlies up on his blog on Monday. He said it has more of a -AO look to it with the vortex in northern/central Canada.

GGEM/Ukie appear to be trending in that direction as well. GGEM appears to also like that second trough that the Euro has had for a few runs in the longer term.

Yeah so the 216 hour 12z Euro would be pretty great I'm thinking. 988 MB low in NE Arkansas. Negative tilted look. 850 MB temps cold enough for snow. This storm goes farther south because the storm before that misses us to the northwest.

I don't think any of the GFS ensembles even have a system. A lot of energy to sort out.

Brett Anderson posted the new Euro seasonal maps for the rest of winter. Meh, hopefully the polar vortex will be in a good spot to give us more cold air and maybe we can get a storm to spin up

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/updated-winter-forecast-model-is-stormier-in-the-east/2558096

I take his interpretation to be somewhat positive. Negative AO, coldest of air pushing farther south, troughiness central and eastern US. As long as we dont become too NW flow dominant. Would be nice to see the southern jet get going. Last nite's Euro looked favorable after day 7 once again. But it appears to be miles apart from the 12z GFS look this morning. Interesting battle but I dont trust either in that time range.

I take his interpretation to be somewhat positive. Negative AO, coldest of air pushing farther south, troughiness central and eastern US. As long as we dont become too NW flow dominant. Would be nice to see the southern jet get going. Last nite's Euro looked favorable after day 7 once again. But it appears to be miles apart from the 12z GFS look this morning. Interesting battle but I dont trust either in that time range.

Yeah and the issue with the Euro was that it wasn't exactly cold with that system. Appears the cold is leaving our side of the pole for a bit. Asia over to Alaska looks cold.

The maps he posted didn't look that bad. I'd like the trough to be a bit farther west so we can be in that 'wetter' pattern instead of being between the dry and wetter with the really warm air lurking just to our southwest.

The 192 12z Euro did have a storm crossing Arkansas still. Looked cold enough for snow at 850 MB. It's been pretty consistent on the track of this storm while the GFS has pretty much nothing. Wunderground's Euro isn't working again so I couldn't see the 180 hour map to see what was going on.

I saw that "storm" around the 18-20, but it apparently is starved for moisture. It is a very favorable track for us, but then again, do we really want it to look great 8-10 days out?

Curious to see what some of the ensembles show. It made a pretty big change from the 12z run when it was located across southern Canada above Minnesota. That makes it look more like the Euro now which has been screaming for a low to move across Arkansas for the last 2 days or so of runs. Unfortunately the Euro precip and temp maps, which are available to 180 on Wunderground, chose not to work today.

Curious to see what some of the ensembles show. It made a pretty big change from the 12z run when it was located across southern Canada above Minnesota. That makes it look more like the Euro now which has been screaming for a low to move across Arkansas for the last 2 days or so of runs. Unfortunately the Euro precip and temp maps, which are available to 180 on Wunderground, chose not to work today.

Yeah I couldnt get them to work, either. And yes to me it is coming around to more semblance of the Euro look in that range.

Archived