• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

It's my annual summer pop in! Had to give my top five list of weather events the past twelve years!

1. Christmas Eve Snow of 2009 - A lot of you all witnessed my epic meltdown that day, and then the level exuberance that is one of the greatest moments in my life!

2. The rest of winter 2009/10 when I saw my first four plus inch snowfall!

3. Spring 2011 - Although I was fortunate enough to be hit by a tornado, I will never forget the sheer hyperactivity of the pattern.

4. Ice Storm 2000 - Still the worst ice storm I have ever experienced.

5. Christmas Eve flurries in 2002 and 2004.

As I say everytime I (rarely) post these days, I miss this community, I will try and do better and return to counterbalance Spot's pessism once we start to cool down!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's my annual summer pop in! Had to give my top five list of weather events the past twelve years!

1. Christmas Eve Snow of 2009 - A lot of you all witnessed my epic meltdown that day, and then the level exuberance that is one of the greatest moments in my life!

2. The rest of winter 2009/10 when I saw my first four plus inch snowfall!

3. Spring 2011 - Although I was fortunate enough to be hit by a tornado, I will never forget the sheer hyperactivity of the pattern.

4. Ice Storm 2000 - Still the worst ice storm I have ever experienced.

5. Christmas Eve flurries in 2002 and 2004.

As I say everytime I (rarely) post these days, I miss this community, I will try and do better and return to counterbalance Spot's pessism once we start to cool down!

I remember the Christmas Eve snowfall you got and 2009/2010 was a good year for you. Sad that flurries made your list though... lol

Another El Nino may be on the way for this winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty large fire near Diamond, MO now. I guess the one near Monett was accidentally started by a guy welding a fence.

I do have kind of a fire break thanks to the tornado :-|

EDIT: I just noticed Google Maps has new aerial maps of Joplin. They look about 1-2 months old but it shows the rebuilding in the tornado zone.

Looking like most of the action today will be south into AR and SC MO. Its amazing to me how drought begats drought in a region and its hard to break out of it. We have seen this pattern of rain systems behave like this the past 2-3 events it seems. Frontal forcing comes thru and produces rains to our north overnite, dissapates during the day, and then re-fires to our south later in the day. Today looks like a carbon copy of that. NAM had it mostly correct, GFS totally wrong as usual. So frustrating. 2" of rain here since 6/1/12.

Even though we got a near average 2" of rain well distributed through the month of July, the prior deficit and the tremendous evapotranspiration due to the excessive heat - we still seem to be getting drier (although the rate of deterioration has slowed some). Still not seeing any hope from the tropics and the NW flow just is not cutting it this year.

Even though we got a near average 2" of rain well distributed through the month of July, the prior deficit and the tremendous evapotranspiration due to the excessive heat - we still seem to be getting drier (although the rate of deterioration has slowed some). Still not seeing any hope from the tropics and the NW flow just is not cutting it this year.

Yup. It's been amazing to watch the slow and steady drought recovery we experienced from Oct-May get decimated in a matter of weeks. Now the landscape looks identical to this time last year, with surface temperatures/RH to match. Barring a tropical influence or highly-unlikely pattern change soon, it could be another hell of a fire season early this fall.

Yup. It's been amazing to watch the slow and steady drought recovery we experienced from Oct-May get decimated in a matter of weeks. Now the landscape looks identical to this time last year, with surface temperatures/RH to match. Barring a tropical influence or highly-unlikely pattern change soon, it could be another hell of a fire season early this fall.

The upcoming fire season could conceivably be worse. The drought recovery experienced in the Southern Plains before the heat dome became entrenched caused a lot of vegetative growth, more than was experienced during the Spring of 2011 before last year's heat wave. That extra growth is now just becoming extra fuel for any future fires.

The upcoming fire season could conceivably be worse. The drought recovery experienced in the Southern Plains before the heat dome became entrenched caused a lot of vegetative growth, more than was experienced during the Spring of 2011 before last year's heat wave. That extra growth is now just becoming extra fuel for any future fires.

Seems this was prophetic... large grass fires burning out of control now in Canadian and Payne Co. Current ob here is 107/49 for RH of 15%. I suspect this will become an almost-daily story over the next 1.5-2 months.

The first two days of August look poised to outdo the worst of last year's heat wave for much of central and north-central OK. This is probably the best chance we'll have for many years to flirt with the seemingly-untouchable 113 F at KOKC from August 1936, the heart of the Dust Bowl. The best we could muster last year was 110 F. In fact, 1936 is the only year in recorded history we've ever reached 111 F or higher.

Here's a climatology of H85 temperatures from every RAOB launched at KOUN since 1974: http://www.atmos.alb...t_72357_850.jpg

We've never recorded an H85 temperature above 30.5 C, including last year. The NAM forecast for tomorrow is 32.0 C, and for Thursday is 31.7 C.

The NAM and RAP both show a 115 F contour at 2 m encompassing much of central and northern OK at 21z tomorrow. They've been running a touch too warm the past few days, so I doubt we're actually going to see widespread obs that high. However, I imagine there will be one or two 115 F readings somewhere across the northern half of the state, and that even the OKC metro area will reach the 111-112 F range. If so, it will be the hottest day in 76 years.

The only fly in the ointment is the possibility of cloud debris from any overnight MCS in CO/KS. This unexpectedly kept temperatures slightly in check today over a small corridor near I-35. With full sunshine through 4-5pm tomorrow, I wouldn't be shocked if we tied the record at 113 F.

I wonder if this is the largest 115 F contour ever plotted by the NAM since its inception? I had images saved from last August and verified the day with absurd records in E OK and W AR never had a modeled contour nearly this big.

NAM_221_2012080100_F45_TMPF_2_M_ABOVE_GROUND.png

Several Mesonet stations across N OK eclipsed the 110 F mark by 12:45pm. There's an outflow boundary from a decaying MCS surging southward that's playing havoc with the forecast, though. Some areas of far N OK into S OK will bust by 10-15 degrees as a result, but it could also enhance warming near and south of I-40 around peak heating.

post-972-0-02680200-1343843699_thumb.png

Looks like C. OK is going to really cook during the next couple hours! Seems like the main impact of the outflow boundary is sliding east, both in terms of temps and the clouds.

post-742-0-97872300-1343849676_thumb.jpg

post-742-0-63618100-1343849690_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile further east, looking a bit more promising for some action this afternoon.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

1154 AM CDT WED AUG 1 2012

...MESOSCALE CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION...

.UPDATE...

/ISSUED 1145 AM CDT WED AUG 1 2012/

MONITORING THE POTENTIAL FOR THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT THIS AFTERNOON.

THE REMNANTS OF A CONVECTIVE COMPLEX ASSOCIATED WITH A SUBTLE MID

LEVEL SHORTWAVE WAS SLIDING SOUTHEAST ACROSS EASTERN KANSAS AT

MIDDAY WHILE PATCHY CLOUDS LINGERED ACROSS SOUTHERN MISSOURI.

MEANWHILE A WEAK BOUNDARY STRETCHED FROM NORTH CENTRAL OKLAHOMA

NEAR PONCA CITY NORTHEAST INTO CENTRAL MISSOURI NEAR SEDALIA.

THIS BOUNDARY MAY BE ENHANCED BY THE OUTFLOW EMANATING FROM THE

DECAYING CONVECTION TO THE NORTH. CONVERGENCE ALONG THIS BOUNDARY

AND THE APPROACH OF THE MINOR SHORTWAVE WILL SUPPORT CONVECTIVE

DEVELOPMENT MAINLY ACROSS SOUTHERN MISSOURI THIS AFTERNOON.

EXPECT ISOLATED TO PERHAPS SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS TO DEVELOP THIS

AFTERNOON ESPECIALLY SOUTHEAST OF A PITTSBURG KANSAS TO OSAGE BEACH

LINE. PROGGED SOUNDINGS FOR THIS AFTERNOON ARE MORE FAVORABLE FOR

ROBUST UPDRAFTS AND THE POTENTIAL FOR DOWNBURST WINDS. SO A FEW

STRONG TO POSSIBLY SEVERE STORMS CANNOT BE RULED OUT THIS

AFTERNOON.

The first two days of August look poised to outdo the worst of last year's heat wave for much of central and north-central OK. This is probably the best chance we'll have for many years to flirt with the seemingly-untouchable 113 F at KOKC from August 1936, the heart of the Dust Bowl. The best we could muster last year was 110 F. In fact, 1936 is the only year in recorded history we've ever reached 111 F or higher.

Here's a climatology of H85 temperatures from every RAOB launched at KOUN since 1974: http://www.atmos.alb...t_72357_850.jpg

We've never recorded an H85 temperature above 30.5 C, including last year. The NAM forecast for tomorrow is 32.0 C, and for Thursday is 31.7 C.

The NAM and RAP both show a 115 F contour at 2 m encompassing much of central and northern OK at 21z tomorrow. They've been running a touch too warm the past few days, so I doubt we're actually going to see widespread obs that high. However, I imagine there will be one or two 115 F readings somewhere across the northern half of the state, and that even the OKC metro area will reach the 111-112 F range. If so, it will be the hottest day in 76 years.

The only fly in the ointment is the possibility of cloud debris from any overnight MCS in CO/KS. This unexpectedly kept temperatures slightly in check today over a small corridor near I-35. With full sunshine through 4-5pm tomorrow, I wouldn't be shocked if we tied the record at 113 F.

I wonder if this is the largest 115 F contour ever plotted by the NAM since its inception? I had images saved from last August and verified the day with absurd records in E OK and W AR never had a modeled contour nearly this big.

NAM_221_2012080100_F45_TMPF_2_M_ABOVE_GROUND.png

Great post, and great call! OKC reached 112F, and as you predicted, Kingfisher reached the fabled 115F. Just absurd.

Today's maximum temperatures:

today.TAIR.max.grad.png

Interestingly, the H85 verification on tonight's sounding was only 30.6 C, so the NAM and RUC were clearly too warm on that front. It is just barely enough to squeak out the honor of the warmest reading ever recorded at KOUN, though.

Current guidance remains consistent in suggesting tomorrow will be about 1 F warmer in the absence of clouds and pop-up storms (which are more likely across E OK, if anywhere). I imagine OKC will top out at either 112 or 113 F and fail to break the all-time record outright, while the warmest Mesonet reading will be 116-117 F, matching last year's max.

Archived