SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems when there is a severe weather system, another thread gets going. Makes this place not quite so busy as winter, but still for regional events of interest this is the place.

Speaking of which, it appears as though our last frost for 2011 is going to end up being about March 3, and a few days after that the stupid peach trees bloomed. I thought they were idiots, ditto for the pears which quickly followed and eventually the apples. Looks they were right after all, we have an excellent crop of all three this year. Knock on wood.

Also, seems like the grass grew about an inch and a half overnight after yesterdays rain. :axe:

And one more thing, here is a shot of the rainbow last evening as the system pulled out.

post-742-0-34204200-1334599483.jpg

Having fun playing with GREarth. This is from about noonish or so today.

2012-04-19_120449.jpg

Transparent Radar color table makes pinpointing what an area is getting pretty cool. No storms going so I just found an area of chilly rain over Iowa today. GRLevel 3, 2.0 should have the ability to do this as well since it uses the same NAIP maps:

2012-04-19_124735.jpg

Looking at the recent runs of the GFS and Euro, the Ozarks and Mid South may have to deal with something severe wise on 4/27, judging by the strong LLJ and sufficient directional turning with height. There are a couple of factors that could possibly throw a wrench in this though, one being moisture mixing in the low levels.

JoMo, how has coverage for this potential severe weather event been from the Joplin market? I haven't had a chance to catch Doug's forecasts the last few days. It wasn't really until this morning that the Springfield stations really brought up the risk. KY3 has been hitting it pretty hard.

JoMo, how has coverage for this potential severe weather event been from the Joplin market? I haven't had a chance to catch Doug's forecasts the last few days. It wasn't really until this morning that the Springfield stations really brought up the risk. KY3 has been hitting it pretty hard.

Pretty lame until last night/this morning.

Maybe a severe threat down this way tomorrow? SPC thinks so as does the NWS in SGF.

yep, along the front mainly due to a massive amount of CAPE. Overall the main threat is wind and hail but you can never rule a tornado or two out if you have a high level of CAPE.

This is, if the front doesn't undercut the storms, it may temper the severe threat somewhat.

Looks like TSA also believes there is a decent threat for severe weather tomorrow across NE OK and NW AR.

A HIGH LEVEL OF INSTABILITY WILL DEVELOP SUNDAY AFTERNOON

AHEAD OF COLD FRONT WHICH WILL PUSH INTO NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA

LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON. THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO

DEVELOP ALONG THE FRONT...AND ONCE THEY REALIZED THE AMOUNT

OF INSTABILITY...THEY WILL QUICKLY BECOME SEVERE WITH

VERY LARGE HAIL BEING POSSIBLE. AS THE STORMS MATURE

AND MERGE TOGETHER THE POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING WINDS

WILL INCREASE. THE SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL LOOKS HIGHEST

ACROSS NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA INITIALLY AND SPREADING INTO

NORTHWEST ARKANSAS SUNDAY EVENING. SEVERE WEATHER

WATCHES AND WARNINGS SHOULD BE ANTICIPATED.

Jomo,

I went to Branson this past weekend, and there is still a lot of damage they have yet to clean up. We had a hard time finding a hotel that was open on the strip and that wasn't booked already. It appeared to be a very "jumpy" tornado.

On the way back home, we decided to check out Joplin. MY OH MY WAS THAT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN I REMEMBER IT JUST LAST APRIL WHEN I WENT TO BRANSON!! They seem to have almost completely cleared away the debris. I was amazed at the blocks and blocks of just nothing accept an occasional newly rebuilt home and a completely stripped tree of bark with just a few branches. I couldn't remember if you had said if the St. John's Hospital had been torn down yet, but I never found it. We pretty much stayed on Rangeline Road. It was VERY apparent where the tornado went through, but Joplin is truly special. We stopped and ate and talked to some locals. They seemed to chuckle at me for asking "Where is all the damage?" They said the volunteers and town itself really picked up and helped, and trust me, it showed! Jomo, your city is pretty special with how resilient it is. After eating, my fiance and I drove around some more. That was the most somber drive I think I ever been on, even more so than visiting Moore after both tornadoes. While I was driving, I looked over to what was a row of houses, is now just slabs of concrete, some just dirt where a house was. I began to cry thinking about what this poor town has been through. I can't imagine what everything must have been like, as I have only seen the horrible pictures, nor do I ever want to. I've followed weather my whole life, family was even in a tornado where our house was the only one standing in the town and 11 people died, so when you see the images on tv or pictures--it really doesn't do it justice. Thanks for sharing your ex-girlfriends story along with numerous photos. I'm sure May 22 will be a bittersweet day for many in Joplin as you remember friends who have passed and stories of survival, but I will always remember Joplin for the HOPE it continues to bring for so many and lessons learned about tornado survival.

--Amber

Jomo,

I went to Branson this past weekend, and there is still a lot of damage they have yet to clean up. We had a hard time finding a hotel that was open on the strip and that wasn't booked already. It appeared to be a very "jumpy" tornado.

On the way back home, we decided to check out Joplin. MY OH MY WAS THAT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN I REMEMBER IT JUST LAST APRIL WHEN I WENT TO BRANSON!! They seem to have almost completely cleared away the debris. I was amazed at the blocks and blocks of just nothing accept an occasional newly rebuilt home and a completely stripped tree of bark with just a few branches. I couldn't remember if you had said if the St. John's Hospital had been torn down yet, but I never found it. We pretty much stayed on Rangeline Road. It was VERY apparent where the tornado went through, but Joplin is truly special. We stopped and ate and talked to some locals. They seemed to chuckle at me for asking "Where is all the damage?" They said the volunteers and town itself really picked up and helped, and trust me, it showed! Jomo, your city is pretty special with how resilient it is. After eating, my fiance and I drove around some more. That was the most somber drive I think I ever been on, even more so than visiting Moore after both tornadoes. While I was driving, I looked over to what was a row of houses, is now just slabs of concrete, some just dirt where a house was. I began to cry thinking about what this poor town has been through. I can't imagine what everything must have been like, as I have only seen the horrible pictures, nor do I ever want to. I've followed weather my whole life, family was even in a tornado where our house was the only one standing in the town and 11 people died, so when you see the images on tv or pictures--it really doesn't do it justice. Thanks for sharing your ex-girlfriends story along with numerous photos. I'm sure May 22 will be a bittersweet day for many in Joplin as you remember friends who have passed and stories of survival, but I will always remember Joplin for the HOPE it continues to bring for so many and lessons learned about tornado survival.

--Amber

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Rangeline has mostly rebuilt back as the commercial district rebounded extremely well.

St. Johns is still standing, they are pushing out the debris inside the hospital out the windows, then they are going to take down the structure, the entire process will be complete by June/July.

A lot of the debris was picked up within the first 3 months, what's left is from people who are dealing with insurance companies or people that fled. If the property isn't in an insurance dispute the city is pursuing action to take down those structures or debris and put a lien on the property for the cost of doing so.

There continues to be volunteers, they are being utilized in numerous ways, from cleaning up peoples lots of small debris, cleaning up parks, or cleaning up forested areas from trees to rebuilding houses.

I posted some updated aerial shots of Joplin in 2009, right after the tornado, and as of a few months ago in the Joplin thread.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/18858-devastating-tornado-strikes-joplin-missouri/page__st__1330__p__1532905#entry1532905

Archived