• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

Looks like most of the 0z models came in a bit colder for the Sun nite/Monday system, which could spell a longer period of snow and less wintry mix if it were to verify.

Yep the NAM is still more juiced than the GFS/GGEM though. Euro came in a bit colder as well with a bit more precip.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And 12z GFS is coming in a bit warmer. I'll take the NAM once it gets within 24 hours since it will have a better thermal resolution and be able to handle the colder air better when compared to the global models with the coarser resolution.

Been seeing the signal for convective precip farther south which may cause some issues with the amount of moisture available farther north.

As much as the NAM is dissed with great gusto at times, I believe it was the one that nailed one of our blizzards last year. I think it was the

of Feb. 9 last year. I know Waterboy will remember that one. :snowing:

I was just looking at pictures of that storm the other day. I had 17 inches IMBY. Now I'd be happy with 1.7 inches! LOL! My how things change in a year.

Could be some upright convection embedded in this broad WAA precip shield. A rather pronounced warm nose with decent CAA aloft could set the stage for some surprises. Probing through Bufkit analyses reveals a prolonged duration of practically vertical theta-e surfaces. As it stands, if the models are even slightly off (too cool) on the strength of the warm nose, we'll be seeing considerably more convective elements.

Could be some upright convection embedded in this broad WAA precip shield. A rather pronounced warm nose with decent CAA aloft could set the stage for some surprises. Probing through Bufkit analyses reveals a prolonged duration of practically vertical theta-e surfaces. As it stands, if the models are even slightly off (too cool) on the strength of the warm nose, we'll be seeing considerably more convective elements.

The Euro does have a convective looking nature to the precip that I've been seeing off and on for days now.

Csnnaywx (or someone) I think I need a translation on this, but it sounds interesting. Does this indicate the potential for an axis of heavier precipitation similar to 2011 blizzard referenced in post 784? What time would this potential be likely to occur?

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK

933 PM CST SAT FEB 11 2012

.DISCUSSION...

ALL IS QUIET TONIGHT. THE ONLY CHANGES TO THE FORECAST ARE TO

RAISE DEWPOINTS OVERNIGHT AND SUNDAY AND RAISE OVERNIGHT LOWS

TONIGHT SLIGHTLY. THE 00Z NAM CONTINUES THE TREND OF ITS

PREVIOUS RUNS WITH HEAVIER QPF THAN ALL OTHER MODELS FOR THE

SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY EVENT. THE GFS HAS LESS QPF THAN ALL OTHER

MODELS. SINCE EVAPORATIONAL COOLING WILL BE THE BIGGEST FACTOR IN

DETERMINING PRECIPITATION TYPE...THE AMOUNT OF QPF WILL DETERMINE

WHAT THE PREDOMINANT PRECIPITATION TYPE WILL BE. THE CURRENT

FORECAST LOOKS VERY REASONABLE BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA AT THIS

POINT IN TIME.

This is about what I expected with the gradual warming of the temps.

Me too. :facepalm:

Honestly, I am more concerned about dry air than I am about the warm temps. Most of the snow will be done falling by the time the temps warm anyway. This snow obviously isn't going to stick around for a long time so whether it ends as drizzle or not won't make a huge difference in the scheme of things.

Everything is going as planned? This is what was going to happen all along. Best chance of snow tonight and early tomorrow morning before things mix and warm up.

:clap:

I wonder why SGF isn't updating their graphical snowfall map? It still shows 0 snowfall forecasted. I would assume emergency managers and such would want to see that graphical product.

Everything is going as planned? This is what was going to happen all along. Best chance of snow tonight and early tomorrow morning before things mix and warm up.

Yea man Im not expecting the world but jeesh this winter is just one let down after another....sighhhh lol. A few days ago and this morning it sounded so mouth watering but not so much anymore haha. Darn sun angle isnt gonna help either this time of year. Oh well hopefully we can pull off a lil snow before late morning ya know.

The 00z NAM has 2 areas of precip, the initial band will move through after midnight and weaken, then another heavier band develops over central and southern OK and moves NE into the area around midday tomorrow. Then it'll either be rain/freezing rain(drizzle)/snow through tomorrow evening. This is what the Euro has been showing for awhile now.

usaasnowipersfc027g.gif

Archived