Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By this time last year, we were starting to see signs of the OK Blizzard taking shape, this year...I'm starting to see some trees beginning to bloom:( No signs of a big change) .I'm not sure any mets saw this incredibly boring and mild winter coming. You would think ice would be a concern with as warm as we have been...but only .5in of snow here in Tulsa. That is just sad! Guess we are paying for that Blizzard by getting nothing this year :cry:

I'm not sure about this Spring and Summer, have to see what happens.

And yeah I'm watching the trees bud around here as well. There is no sign of the Alaskan vortex going away through the next 16 days on the 18z GFS. This year, things are just not working out. The AO has remained positive most of this winter which along with the Alaskan vortex has resulted in a raging Pacific jet which has made things suck for a lot of the US. It looks like the AO has now gone negative, but the Alaskan vortex is still crapping things up. This may be a La Nina thing.

We had a time back in mid-Jan when the Alaskan vortex disappeared, so it looked like we would get some colder air, but it got stuck to the north of us by zonal flow, which gave some snow and ice to areas north of us, then the Alaskan vortex came back and all the cold air disappeared.

The 2 years prior to this year have featured a mostly negative AO which resulted in us being colder and snowier, I guess it only makes sense that it's snapped back to being positive this year.

You can see the AO influence in Dec-Feb.

DJF.temp.ao.gif

We're all gonna be fine guys. Come January and into February this will just be a distant memory. I've seen the winter turn dramatically once the calendar rolls to January and this yr will be no exception.

OK lets try this again..

We're all gonna be fine guys. Come January February and into February March this will just be a distant memory. I've seen the winter turn dramatically once the calendar rolls to January February and this yr will be no exception.

Haven't looked into the details but there's a system coming in that looks a bit like the one we had when we had that quick burst of snow, only it's not as strong and temps are marginal or maybe above freezing at the surface.

usacsnowsfc042.gif

Rest of the forecast looks awful through mid-feb as the Alaskan vortex sits and spins.

I've pretty much came to the conclusion that winter is a no-show this year.

Anyone have an Android phone/tablet? I'm thinking about getting RadarScope or PYKL3 and want to know which is best.

I put PYKL3 on my Android Thunderbolt and it is quite stable and seems to work as promised. I bet it would be outstanding on a tablet where you could get a bigger display. I have not used Radarscope, nor do I feel much call to do so given the PYKL3's performance.

I put PYKL3 on my Android Thunderbolt and it is quite stable and seems to work as promised. I bet it would be outstanding on a tablet where you could get a bigger display. I have not used Radarscope, nor do I feel much call to do so given the PYKL3's performance.

Yeah I saw it's getting some new upgrades pretty soon which make it look pretty good even though RadarScope appears to be more polished.

I want something as close to GRLevel3 as possible.

There are some free apps but they either don't display the warnings on the screen or they don't allow you to switch between the different radars or they are too pixelated to actually tell what's going on.

Yeah I saw it's getting some new upgrades pretty soon which make it look pretty good even though RadarScope appears to be more polished.

I want something as close to GRLevel3 as possible.

There are some free apps but they either don't display the warnings on the screen or they don't allow you to switch between the different radars or they are too pixelated to actually tell what's going on.

JoMo my friend has an asus transformer tablet and man that thing is awesome! I think it uses android 3.2....thing is awesome man and really fast for a damn tablet. My only gripe is its not so good outdoors cause the screen is highly reflective. Its alot of money but worth every penny from the messing around I did on his.

Might get a few flakes of snow or freezing drizzle tonight. Most likely place would be central MO. It looks like a +PNA ridge sets up with a trough in the east in the medium range which would probably keep us in somewhat dry NW flow. The 12 GFS wants to bring in colder air in the really long extended but we'll see.

Might get a few flakes of snow or freezing drizzle tonight. Most likely place would be central MO. It looks like a +PNA ridge sets up with a trough in the east in the medium range which would probably keep us in somewhat dry NW flow. The 12 GFS wants to bring in colder air in the really long extended but we'll see.

Yea just noticed springfield mentioning light showers possibly turning to light snow up here in the late evening with a dusting possible lol. Looks to be a lil chilly the next few days then upper 50's next week lol

One of the weirdest 12z GFS runs in awhile today. I had to check other model websites to make sure this wasn't some type of data error. Looks like it wants to somewhat cut off a system and phase another N stream system with it.

EDIT: as expected, it doesn't have any ensemble support. The Canadian does show a similar storm but it doesn't wrap it up.

usaasnowi72sfc189a.gif

Holy cow at that GFS solution this morning. Appears to be a cut-off that just sits and spins over this region while generating cold enough air for snow. Could it be onto something here??!!??

In all fairness the cut-off low has not been a stranger on the weather maps this winter.

Yeah but it has no ensemble support and the GGEM out to 180 doesn't spin it up and it stays pretty flat. I'm waiting on the Euro to say "No" here in a bit, lol

Archived