• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Can we finally define who a “Meteorologist” is?!

FreshAJ

The basics of the argument are more generated from the broadcast field where MSU certificate holders (online degree...and the course work is very watered down, along with more ample chances to cheat on tests) and on air talent are taking the liberty to call themselves meteorologists. Which in turn when they bomb forecasts or asked to speak about meteological/climate events typically they are grossly inaccurate and they continue to fuel the notion that meteorologists are jokes and are always wrong.

Generally I agree with the AMS and NOAA definitions. AMS puts all atmospheric scientists into the meteorologist category which works. Math/Met is a meteorologist for example. The issue in this thread is the more narrow question about TV. As I understand MSU now has calc-based degrees which I'd call meteologists. The others are weather casters etc. I'd save forecaster for a real meteorologist that does operational forecasting. Once upon a time education and hard work differentiated the individual. Please don't let meteorology fall victim to the entitlement mentality.

Basic weather forecasting is more of an art than a science to me. That's why you see folks here and on TV that can become pretty good at the craft who aren't technically meteorologists. I see it in the Air Force too. The enlisted forecasters don't have met degrees but they are forecasting on a level comparable to AWC.

Where it does help to have a science degree wrt wx forecasting, imo, is being able to look under the hood of the models and understanding how the math that fuels them works (knowing why the models do what they do), being able to develop theories and test them in a robust scientific way, being able to think critically and combine complex theories based on their mathematical and empirical relationships, being able to comprehend complex mathematical technical papers involving the latest atmospheric research...and things of this nature.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this discussion should also concern the online world as well - there are many people out there issuing various weather watches and warnings claiming to be meterogologists with no weather background, something that clearly seems to be a concern based of nws on a nationwide pns issued last year.

I never considered myself a Meteorologist until I was employed as one. My first job out of college I was a Support Scientist, so that's what I called myself. Just having a Meteorology degree doesn't make one a Meteorologist IMO, you have to be doing something related to the field in your daily life. If you get the degree and go on to sell cars for a living, do you call yourself a Meteorologist? Probably not.

You do have a point. But there are instances where this may not work. If I like to give out food and dietary advice to my friends and family...I shouldn't be able to call myself a Nutritionist. And legally, I can't. My point in the article was that the term "meteorologist" should just have a standard legal definition so nobody can just blindly use the term. I'd like to believe that meteorologists are as important as nutritionists, lawyers, etc too!

Thanks!

AJ

I never considered myself a Meteorologist until I was employed as one. My first job out of college I was a Support Scientist, so that's what I called myself. Just having a Meteorology degree doesn't make one a Meteorologist IMO, you have to be doing something related to the field in your daily life. If you get the degree and go on to sell cars for a living, do you call yourself a Meteorologist? Probably not.

Archived