• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NCEP FTP site

CapturedNature

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope this works. Does any know the pathway to to download model maps from the NCEP via FTP? I have the pathways via HTTP but I'm looking to use FTP to download the files.

e.g. http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/GemPakTier/MagGemPakImages/gfs/12/gfs_namer_000_10m_wnd_precip.gif

TIA

AFAIK only the raw data can be downloaded via FTP. Why do you need FTP anyway?

AFAIK only the raw data can be downloaded via FTP. Why do you need FTP anyway?

Appreciate the reply. I want to download maps locally so I can create my own loops and I'd like to automate the process. I don't see why they would have the image files available through HTTP but not FTP. I suppose I could write script to to download them that way but I just hate the over head.

Appreciate the reply. I want to download maps locally so I can create my own loops and I'd like to automate the process. I don't see why they would have the image files available through HTTP but not FTP. I suppose I could write script to to download them that way but I just hate the over head.

There's always wget or axel (especially axel... much faster IMO)

There's always wget or axel (especially axel... much faster IMO)

Since I can't get the images via FTP, I wrote a scrip using cURL to grab the images that I want. I'm not too concerned about speed...just functionality. I'm tired of some of the limitations of the new NCEP site and am just going to create what I want using their images.

Since I can't get the images via FTP, I wrote a scrip using cURL to grab the images that I want. I'm not too concerned about speed...just functionality. I'm tired of some of the limitations of the new NCEP site and am just going to create what I want using their images.

CURL is good too... exactly why are you using the images though? If it's a website, you do know you can just hotlink right? Unlike a lot of other places, NCEP is OK with hotlinking. If it's for personal use, there are a couple of iPhone apps... either InstantWeatherMaps Pro or WeatherGeek Pro, both $4.99. IWXM Pro is definitely better right now, though WeatherGeek is coming out with version 2.0 sometime this winter.

CURL is good too... exactly why are you using the images though? If it's a website, you do know you can just hotlink right? Unlike a lot of other places, NCEP is OK with hotlinking. If it's for personal use, there are a couple of iPhone apps... either InstantWeatherMaps Pro or WeatherGeek Pro, both $4.99. IWXM Pro is definitely better right now, though WeatherGeek is coming out with version 2.0 sometime this winter.

The answer is animations & cost. I'm using flanis just like the NCEP but it requires that the images be local to my server. The new NCEP site does not allow hot linking directly to an animation so I'm replicating that on my site so I don't have to go through so many steps.

Also, why pay for something when I can create it for free? Most of the sites you mention use the same maps....I already have scripts using the hotlinked images such as:

http://www.stormmonitoring.com/namgfs_18Z.html

or

http://www.stormmonitoring.com/gfs_18Z.html

However, those are Javascript/mouseover animations and I just want to use what the NCEP is using. BTW, I'm already scripting the animations so I think I'm all set. I appreciate the input.

Archived