SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Pre Turkey Snow Trouncing Obs

dryslot

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More snow than I was expecting at the 12:30 snow board check... I figured it was around 8.5" but we picked up a bit more.

6am... 6.0"

Board Cleared

12:30pm... 3.1"

Snowfall: 9.1"

Snow Depth on the ground: 8.8"

One last batch moving through... snow globe snow with huge fluffy dendrites. Classic deform type snow.

Event totals: 10.7” Snow/1.16” L.E.

Snow has gradually been slowing down through the morning, and the air temperature has also been warming. There’s been another tenth of an inch on the board since noon, but it’s getting pretty slushy and I may be getting the next round of liquid equivalent from the rain gauge because the snow melts as it falls. Even at the noontime reading the accumulation of snow on the snowboard had settled back a few tenths from the 11:00 A.M. reading.

Hourly observations from this morning:

Time | Total snow on snowboard

06:00 A.M. | 0.0”

07:00 A.M. | 0.9”

08:00 A.M. | 1.8”

09:00 A.M. | 2.6”

10:00 A.M. | 3.2”

11:00 A.M. | 3.6”

12:00 P.M. | 3.3”

Some details from the 12:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 3.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.40 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.0

Snow Density: 11.1% H2O

Temperature: 35.8 F

Sky: Light Snow/Flurries

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

Sick....and maybe a little more to go.

Yeah that's a nice total.... we ended up with significantly more than BTV was forecasting (as of this morning our Advisory said 2-5" total expected) with 9.1" in Stowe and J.Spin's 10.7" the next town south of here.

Given the liquid totals here the NAM was definitely right with the higher QPF values up this way. GFS was consistently showing between .5-.75" for this whole area of north/central VT when in reality it was more like widespread 0.8-1.2" liquid.

NAM definitely took this one as far as QPF goes in this area. But in reality I think I think the EURO nailed this with the heaviest snowfall being like SLK-MPV-IZG right across the north country where there's an axis of 10-15"... bunch of 12-14" reports coming out of the Adirondacks, too, so this wasn't all just New England.

Last band moving through here now...looks so nice out there with snowbanks and 9" clinging to all the trees.

8.5" visual estimate and its tapered to flurries for the time being. Nice thump dump. The 8.0" report at 10am out of Moscow is in Stowe. Moscow is a part of the town of Stowe so that report matches the 8.2" I had at the resort around that time. My 6.0" report at 6am made the list, too.

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

1 S MOSCOW 8.0 1004 AM 11/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 S WOLCOTT 7.0 754 AM 11/23 BROADCAST MEDIA

5 N JEFFERSONVILLE 6.9 817 AM 11/23 CO-OP OBSERVER

2 S EDEN 6.6 747 AM 11/23 CO-OP OBSERVER

3 NE HYDE PARK 6.4 745 AM 11/23 COCORAHS

SMUGGLERS NOTCH 6.0 621 AM 11/23 STOWE MOUNTAIN RESORT

Also, this is TEXTBOOK easterly flow orographic distribution of snowfall... Spine eastward is golden, general uplift area, then you have massive downsloping on the western slope communities into the Champlain Valley, and then general upslope again into the Adirondacks. I had a friend drive through Richmond this morning and confirm the 1" report... he said he had 4" in BTV then there was nothing a few miles away in Richmond, followed by a massive increase back up to 6-8" within a mile of the Waterbury line. He said in about 2 miles on the interstate the snowfall quadrupled with no change in elevation, lol. Ahhh what it is like living with high terrain around.

Interesting. We'll see this in the Berkshires sometimes too, but usually not quite as extreme. The worst shadowing in E flows usually occurs just to me west along NY 22 down toward the Hudson River. Were these low totals a result of rain on the west slope or simply just lower QPF? I am assuming the later.

Archived