• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 23 - Storm Threat

powderfreak

Power outages aside, I think this storm will be more of a shock to most folks than the Halloween one ... just seems like there isn't much talk of it. Not sure if that changed this morning but last night I kept getting the "really?" "it's going to snow?" ...

I'm curious how busy the NNE airports are the day before T-Day. Travel delays no doubt in the air and on the highways. ME Turnpike will no doubt have reduced speed limits as you get up N of Westbrook/Portland

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curioisity...how far south does it start as snow?

It's possible MPM and up through the NRN ORH hills could start as snow, then maybe go to some ice before rain. SW NH still looks tricky. From AFN-EEN on north..could be a couple of inches of snow...then IP and ZR. Not a bad idea to put them in a WWA I would guess. Big morning travels too.

Do you get many E. Mass people up there to ski? I get the sense they mainly go to NH and ME resorts from reading these threads.

You guys are all talking NH/ME but I think some of the Vermont areas will get smoked just as much... spots like Killington and Sugarbush in the central Greens at elevations of 1,500-4,000ft. Those guys will upslope on a SE flow, too (well the Spine upslopes on most types of flows, just in different areas). Okemo/Ludlow area up towards the poster Allenson.

just found out I have extra vacation time, so I'll be taking tomorrow off and busting out the snowblower at some point. Don't know what we'll do with the in-laws all day :unsure:

Lol. Right there with the inlaws. Ali on vacation. In the use it or lose it mode. Spending time doing outdoor chores. And hanging here obviously.

Do you get many E. Mass people up there to ski? I get the sense they mainly go to NH and ME resorts from reading these threads.

Yeah, at least when I lived in E. MA I made it to the Greens quite often. 93/89 is a more convenient route vs 95 + 2 lanes to loaf and river

No school tomorrow? Should be a terrific dumper. Bad timing for some folks.

Nope. We have half days with the kids Mon and Tuesday then insane amounts of parent/teacher conferences.

Weds is Turkey Day prep, model/board watching...

Was wishing to ski at Wachusett but that is a phail for a while...

Glad CNE/NNE is getting some. This seems to have been modeled fairly well (depending on how it winds up)

That's been hinted at by a few models/runs hasn't it? That's why I was referencing longitudinal advantages of being east. Of course I have no idea about which I speak. Lol

It tries to cool the Pit too, but it may be something where the colder air oozes down the east slopes of the hills and Mtns...AKA the Monads and ORH hills.

Last night I made my bold prediction of a thump along the Rte 2 corridor from NY across Mass... But then the NWS came out and showed no accumulation even for the southern counties of NH, so I'm chastened for now. LOL

That's been hinted at by a few models/runs hasn't it? That's why I was referencing longitudinal advantages of being east. Of course I have no idea about which I speak. Lol

The NAM T1 temps are colder for PWM as well. 850 temps have been steady overnight but the boundry layer is colder now. Northerly flow keeps the coastal front offshore and more snow, less rain along the coastal counties. GYX has PWM with 6-10" and that is looking good.

Yeah Scott, H85 stays well south of us, Curious to see the GFS, It has not been very bullish and seems to be the outlier with the NAM and Euro on board

You could get some CF enhancement too, at your locale.

I haven't been able to dive into too much stuff for specific areas there, it's busy today, but man it's gonna rip in many areas. It's possible you may only briefly change over. Gonna be close.

Last night I made my bold prediction of a thump along the Rte 2 corridor from NY across Mass... But then the NWS came out and showed no accumulation even for the southern counties of NH, so I'm chastened for now. LOL

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I just think the models are more in the cold rain camp for Rte 2. Keene and Zucker (if he is at school) might do ok...

The NAM T1 temps are colder for PWM as well. 850 temps have been steady overnight but the boundry layer is colder now. Northerly flow keeps the coastal front offshore and more snow, less rain along the coastal counties. GYX has PWM with 6-10" and that is looking good.

Yeah i think they mix then flip for a time to RN before heights crash back SE as the low pulls ENE and they go back to SN on the backend

You guys are all talking NH/ME but I think some of the Vermont areas will get smoked just as much... spots like Killington and Sugarbush in the central Greens at elevations of 1,500-4,000ft. Those guys will upslope on a SE flow, too (well the Spine upslopes on most types of flows, just in different areas). Okemo/Ludlow area up towards the poster Allenson.

Of course. Us working class folks can't afford the hoighty-toighty VT resorts (kidding, kidding)

I have the Stowe and Okemo cams in my favorites at home...

Hope that sends people to VT!!!

You could get some CF enhancement too, at your locale.

I haven't been able to dive into too much stuff for specific areas there, it's busy today, but man it's gonna rip in many areas. It's possible you may only briefly change over. Gonna be close.

The CF can be my friend or it can be my foe, Sitting 20-25 miles inland from the coast, If we get a strong push in the upper levels it will end up just to my NW and we taint and switch over to RN, But if it stays to my SSE we can rock in some good banding, The best thing of all, Just being down from the foothills and with this storms track, we usually do quite well in these SWFE here at my location, We shall see

The CF can be my friend or it can be my foe, If we get a strong push in the upper levels it will end up just to my NW and we taint and switch over to RN, But if it stays to my SSE we can rock in some good banding, The best thing of all, Just being down from the foothills and with this storms track, we usually do quite well in these SWFE here at my location, We shall see

It may get close, but the fact that it moves east of the Cape will help. It does have a good appendage of low pressure into the GOM which will throw back warmer air so it will be close.

I wouldn't be shocked if you started as a mix of sn/ip, but maybe a better shot nne of you like in Ashburnham.

Yeah... JJASHB should be able to eek out a sloppy inch or 2. Washed away?

You should move your Thanksgiving festivities to your parent's house in NH.

How does CF enhance this kind of event?

Yeah... JJASHB should be able to eek out a sloppy inch or 2. Washed away?

You should move your Thanksgiving festivities to your parent's house in NH.

How does CF enhance this kind of event?

Well any low level convergence will enhance snow rates for sure. SSTs are near 50, so that will mean a good collision of airmasses. It's not like it will add 12" more, but could boost totals 10-20 miles west of it I suppose.

How do you think Bath will do? They are so tantalizingly close to snow vs. taint. When I lived there, I recall many times when PWM would fair better than us due to the land to the SW.

It's possible MPM and up through the NRN ORH hills could start as snow, then maybe go to some ice before rain. SW NH still looks tricky. From AFN-EEN on north..could be a couple of inches of snow...then IP and ZR. Not a bad idea to put them in a WAA I would guess. Big morning travels too.

NH is a maddening forecast. Like has been mentioned the NAM lower levels have come in colder, but it still shows that warm layer sneaking in above 800 mb. 12z NAM soundings looked really IP for KCON, with the edge of the warm layer reaching almost to KLEB. It doesn't really even get to KPWM, only the boundary layer is in question if you take it verbatim.

Archived