Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mid Atlantic members snow totals thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa........it looks like Long Green now has 2.8" total for this whole system, with 1.5" in a spot near Paper Mill Rd.

Hunt Valley report 1.5, which at least for me, seems more reasonable, though I may have picked up more morning yesterday morning but it was impossible to tell.

yesterday:

overnight coastal: 1"

Squall: pixie dust trace

Inverted Trough: .5"

To date total: 5.3"

another .25". hopefully next winter we'll be living outside the center of town and have colder surface temps when events start.

6.15" for the year. :lol:

In this marginal temp winter, that degree or so of difference between your spot in town and my rural location has only netted me 2" more total than your location. Or, if put another way, 33% more. :P

Not much here to trap the heat:

post-116-0-86142000-1329074905.jpg

How do you have 22"? Isn't that way higher than anyone else around? I thought folks out that way were around 13" or so?

I have been adding them up, and I used the Manchester spotter report for 2 storms where I was not home.

8" back in October then all 1-3" events since except 3.9 last weekend according to LWX report, I was in Colorado for that. But yes, I have been extremely lucky and it was mostly very elevation dependent. Many of those storms I got 1 or 2 inches when only a few miles from me in every direction had nothing on the ground because they were 500 feet lower. Most of those were like 1-2" of 33 degree slush type events.

And yes you are right, my total is way high compared to just about everyone else south of Upstate NY or the very high elevations to the west. I suppose you could say I am winning but its sucked here also because all the snow has been gone within a day because its been so warm...even with 22" for the year I have had virtually no snowcover at all.

Holy sh*t.

Can you list them by event?

I can not list every storm by date no but I remember most of them

8" from the storm in late October

1.5" from a storm in mid December I think...it was heavy rain that ended as a few hours of snow

2 storms in a week in mid January that dropped 1" and 2"

I got 1.5" from that weak wave that put down a small area of snow in MD 2 weeks ago.

2" from that clipper last week

and 4" from the storm last weekend.

Thats 20 right there from my memory and there must be a 2" or a couple of 1" evengs I am missing somewhere in my mind.

I have measured 19.25 so far on the season. I went with 6.5 for the october event so 22 inches seems a bit high but not unrealistic

Thanks, my 22 is by no means accurate because I used reports from the NWS for a few events. I measured 8" in that October event on a wood board I have in the field behind my apartment complex. It was a bit lower on a lot of other surfaces but then I saw a NWS spotter report of 7.9 right near me so I figured go with it. Either way there have been a lot of really minor events in our area that melted the next day.

It is amazing how many times it has snowed this year considering how bad this winter has been. In reference to the October event it is possible that the higher hills in the area did receive up to 8 inches. My house sits at exactly 860 feet and when I drove around town as the storm was winding down some of the higher spots looked like they had an inch or so more. This storm may have been the only time I remember seeing that much of a difference between my house and those areas.

It is amazing how many times it has snowed this year considering how bad this winter has been. In reference to the October event it is possible that the higher hills in the area did receive up to 8 inches. My house sits at exactly 860 feet and when I drove around town as the storm was winding down some of the higher spots looked like they had an inch or so more. This storm may have been the only time I remember seeing that much of a difference between my house and those areas.

That makes sense then, according to topographic maps my apartment is right at 1000 feet and the field behind it where I measure gets a little higher then that.

That makes sense then, according to topographic maps my apartment is right at 1000 feet and the field behind it where I measure gets a little higher then that.

Your totals are in line with my observations. I guess we "Hillbillies" in the high country do well. I had a ton of penny events this year. 1 inch, 1.5, etc. I pulled off 8.5 in October, then an endless parade of pre-frontal/post-frontal .5-2 inch events. Non of them had any real impact and were gone when the sun came out. We did have the nice near 4 inch one a couple weeks age so they add up quick.

Archived