Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Weather References and Newbie Information

burgertime

31 minutes ago, Tigerchick224 said:

@wncsnow @buckeyefan1 thank you both for your kind words! I just emailed Mississippi State about what I would be required to do as a new/old student. emoji2957.pngWe shall see! emoji1694.png

Go for it!!!! I was forced to change careers in 2010 after being a regional sales mgr in the mid atlantic and new england for different beverage companies.  I was burned out when I was let go in 2009, we moved to DC and I entered the aviation industry and absolutely love it.   Im so glad Im not in the bev industry anymore but doing something I immensley enjoy every day. I turned 40 when I changed my career wholly. 

You can do this. Go for it:thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerchick224 said:

Hi! Not sure where to put this, so feel free to remove if necessary.

I am currently a second grade teacher and have been the past twelve years and I can say I am no longer happy. Weather has always been a passion of mine, and the older I get and the less time I have left, the more I want to go for it.

However, math was always a weak spot for me. I noticed with some of the programs I am looking at, a lot of Calculus is necessary. I haven’t taken that type of math in 13 years. emoji30.png

For meteorologists on the board, do your have any useful tips or suggestions on how to do well on the math that comes with a weather degree? Thank you in advance.

I am not a meteorologist, but I’ve got a pretty good background in mathematics.  Having taught the calculus sequence for many years, I can tell you that most students do not find the concepts of calculus that difficult.  However, the algebra required to manipulate expressions so that the calculus can be applied is where they get tripped up.  My suggestion:  really brush up on your algebra skills.  Practice, practice, practice with your ability to factor complex polynomial, rational, and transcendental expressions.  If you can do that well, you won’t have much difficulty with taking derivatives and integrals.

Best wishes with wherever you decide to pursue your degree in meteorology.  Don’t be afraid to talk to your professors and seek their help outside of class.  Most will actually appreciate that you are interested in learning and are willing to apply yourself.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the group.  The attached image is from the 0z NAM3K last night and it was showing snow in the circled area which is south of the 540 line on the map. The image was valid for hour 10 of the model run.  Is it possible to receive snow between the 540 and the 546 line like the image shows, or would it be strictly rain?

20220205_161259.thumb.jpg.7eaafdc7d7b098a72abe8026364f2351.jpg

• jburns unpinned this topic