Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Weather References and Newbie Information

burgertime

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Good post Burger....Do you still have the member's location map that we had a few winters back?

Edit: Never mind....I see the link in your sig.

It hasn't been updated in awhile. I found a better map service so I might use it as it has a heat map function and you can just input from a spreadsheet which makes things a lot easier.

This may be a little nit-picky, but instead of calling it the 850mb line, I would call it the 850mb zero degree isotherm/line. For someone that is truly new to weather map reading that may make a bit more sense since there is more than one isotherm on an 850mb temperature map.Snowman.gif

Plus newbies need to know that the 850 temp is at around 5000 ft so the surface temps can often be above freezing when the 850 temps would indicate snow. Also, a warm layer during sleet events often develops above 850mb.

Plus newbies need to know that the 850 temp is at around 5000 ft so the surface temps can often be above freezing when the 850 temps would indicate snow. Also, a warm layer during sleet events often develops above 850mb.

Wes, that's really interesting. When I think of a sleet layer, it's a warm layer lower than 850. Is that not normally the case?

Wes, that's really interesting. When I think of a sleet layer, it's a warm layer lower than 850. Is that not normally the case?

SleetSounding.gif

I think it can be below 850mb though, but really the overall concept is there has to be enough time for it to refreeze, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to see some Mets add to this thread some "good examples of..." For instance when they come across a good example of a model that shows cross polar flow....or a -EPO signature, or a west based -NAO, if they could post it here and call it out, that would do a world of good helping me understand what I'm looking at when the models are discussed.

I'm still not sure what constitutes cross polar flow or split flow, etc. :violin:

I would love to see some Mets add to this thread some "good examples of..." For instance when they come across a good example of a model that shows cross polar flow....or a -EPO signature, or a west based -NAO, if they could post it here and call it out, that would do a world of good helping me understand what I'm looking at when the models are discussed.

I'm still not sure what constitutes cross polar flow or split flow, etc. :violin:

Here is cross polar flow with the ridge going above Alaska forcing cold air south

2l16t.gif

Here is the basic look of a split flow

split.jpg

• 1 month later...

By my post count, you can tell I mostly lurk from time-to-time, but thank you for the work you put in on this reference. What a great resource! I may have missed it in there, and if so, I am sorry, but one good reference to consider adding for Newbies is "the wedge" or CAD. I know that CAD conditions can impact many around the S.E.

Again, THANKS!