• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hike and a hangin

OKpowdah

The idea has been tossed around a few times. I'm back home for a very long winter break starting December 17th, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together to go hiking somewhere in New England?

I hike Mt Monadnock once a week with a couple friends, so that's an option, but I'd also like to do some winter hiking on some other mountains. Let's see if we can find a common date later this month or anytime in January!

The idea has been tossed around a few times. I'm back home for a very long winter break starting December 17th, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together to go hiking somewhere in New England?

I hike Mt Monadnock once a week with a couple friends, so that's an option, but I'd also like to do some winter hiking on some other mountains. Let's see if we can find a common date later this month or anytime in January!

we should hike and ski Greylock when the snow starts getting in there. Also, I think we should have an all ski GTG somewhere central...maybe Mount Snow or even Killington

There is already snow there. You'll need a couple feet though if you want to ski Thunderbolt.

well yeah, I know that. However, I think we should have a Tuckerman GTG this spring if everyone's up for it/in shape enough. My friend Matt actually picked up an interesting book about New England backcountry that I've been meaning to check out. I think we're going to try to ski Big Jay a couple of times this winter, that'd be fun. He goes to school at LSC so it's a little close for him :snowman:

well yeah, I know that. However, I think we should have a Tuckerman GTG this spring if everyone's up for it/in shape enough. My friend Matt actually picked up an interesting book about New England backcountry that I've been meaning to check out. I think we're going to try to ski Big Jay a couple of times this winter, that'd be fun. He goes to school at LSC so it's a little close for him :snowman:

Tuckerman is an awesome hike!

My goal is to hike all 4,000+ft peaks in N NH before I graduate.

Tuckerman is an awesome hike!

My goal is to hike all 4,000+ft peaks in N NH before I graduate.

that'd be awesome. I've hiked/skied it a few times, it's great. I've been lucky enough to get some VERY nice days up there...obviously rare for the location. Summer hikes in there are a pain in the ass though. 80* in the bowl in a HOT day, then you get out of it and summit and it's 40 and you're shaking. One of the allures of the place though I suppose...

that'd be awesome. I've hiked/skied it a few times, it's great. I've been lucky enough to get some VERY nice days up there...obviously rare for the location. Summer hikes in there are a pain in the ass though. 80* in the bowl in a HOT day, then you get out of it and summit and it's 40 and you're shaking. One of the allures of the place though I suppose...

Yeah, it's a weird temperature conflict hiking in the summer. Combining decreasing temperature with height, increasing body heat production with height, and increasing sun exposure with height.

I actually managed to hike Washington in October in short sleeves. It was a very cold morning, but my body warmed up fast, and there was NO wind at the summit -- very unique day.

Yeah, it's a weird temperature conflict hiking in the summer. Combining decreasing temperature with height, increasing body heat production with height, and increasing sun exposure with height.

I actually managed to hike Washington in October in short sleeves. It was a very cold morning, but my body warmed up fast, and there was NO wind at the summit -- very unique day.

Last time we did a ski in there was sometime in mid April about...usually a pretty volatile time up there. It was about 40 degrees up top with a calm wind and literally EMPTY skies. It was pretty amazing, especially given the location and month.

Archived