joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pictures Thread: October HECS

powderfreak

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just took a jog down my street...my street does have power, lots of lights off b/c it's 1:00 AM :arrowhead: but I did see some. When I got to the end of the street...complete darkness. I drew up a little map

streetmap.jpg

after several hours of reviewing this map, ive finally decided that the crucial message here is that the package store has power.

I was a bit chocked that I didn't see more in the way of evergreens down, those guys have to be strong as hell. I can't even recall seeing any down.

Not stronger (their wood is for most species weaker than that of deciduous trees) but design/adaptation. Spruce, fir, and hemlock have loads of branches which extend horizontally or even downward, and as the snow/ice bends them, they are less and less exposed to further accretion, and more likely to have support from their lower-down neighbors. It's no accident that spruce and fir dominate the colder, snowier climates. As Will noted, pines are more vulnerable - fewer branches and some (on white pine) growing at an upward angle. In my region nearly all those upward branches parted company in the 1998 ice storm.

Not stronger (their wood is for most species weaker than that of deciduous trees) but design/adaptation. Spruce, fir, and hemlock have loads of branches which extend horizontally or even downward, and as the snow/ice bends them, they are less and less exposed to further accretion, and more likely to have support from their lower-down neighbors. It's no accident that spruce and fir dominate the colder, snowier climates. As Will noted, pines are more vulnerable - fewer branches and some (on white pine) growing at an upward angle. In my region nearly all those upward branches parted company in the 1998 ice storm.

Interesting. Thanks!

Boy every tree that is down had tons of green leaves on them. Not a shock as to see why they fell. However, I've never seen so many trees split at the base like that. Usually it's the limbs that fall or perhaps the top half of the tree snapped off, but look how those bases snapped. Must have been such a huge load on tree perhaps combined with a little swaying from the wind. I've never seen so many trees do that. Although, some of the tree look like they may have an insect problem.

Boy every tree that is down had tons of green leaves on them. Not a shock as to see why they fell. However, I've never seen so many trees split at the base like that. Usually it's the limbs that fall or perhaps the top half of the tree snapped off, but look how those bases snapped. Must have been such a huge load on tree perhaps combined with a little swaying from the wind. I've never seen so many trees do that. Although, some of the tree look like they may have an insect problem.

You lied. I still have a lot of snow.

Archived