SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended up with about 4 inches here in Canonsburg....and with our topography here it makes an adventure getting home.

Especially when you get done at 3 to 4am like I always do.

This was one of the more impressive Lake Effect events for the Pittsburgh Metro since I've been forecasting fior the area since Nov 02'

I've worked 42 hours in the last 3 days...ready for some sleep...and those warmer temps on Fri.

I ended up with about 4 inches here in Canonsburg....and with our topography here it makes an adventure getting home.

Especially when you get done at 3 to 4am like I always do.

This was one of the more impressive Lake Effect events for the Pittsburgh Metro since I've been forecasting fior the area since Nov 02'

I've worked 42 hours in the last 3 days...ready for some sleep...and those warmer temps on Fri.

Rants?

Wow I really got in the screw zone with this event. From about Delmont NW through Natrona Heights only got about .25 - .5 of snow. At work in Greensburg there was a solid 2-3 inches I'd say. Further North at my Parents house they have a good 3 maybe 4 inches. I was shocked to see some people even plowed their driveways, while at my house next to nothing. Nothing unusual for a LES event though.

I'm really looking forward to a nice synoptic snow event to track.. even if its only a small one.

Just looked at the 12z GFS and next week's potential storm is still in play, and the track that it has for the low would normally be perfect for us, at least once it's to the east of us. The problem is, even though we eventually end up on the cold side of the low, there just doesn't seem to be enough cold air to work with according to the model, even when the low is sitting over eastern PA.

Yea I was watching Henry M's most recent video update today and he's finally into cold and wintery now....not sure if I was buying his Jan 12th event or not....I'll keep my fingers crossed tho...any pattern is better than what we've had!....Black n' Gold, we should get together sometime-as would it with any of you guys around PITT....we just both happen to be in Bethel Park...If anyone is up for it, maybe we could all meet on a friday night sometime?....I see the guys in the other threads organized something like that.... :popcorn:

Yea I was watching Henry M's most recent video update today and he's finally into cold and wintery now....not sure if I was buying his Jan 12th event or not....I'll keep my fingers crossed tho...any pattern is better than what we've had!....Black n' Gold, we should get together sometime-as would it with any of you guys around PITT....we just both happen to be in Bethel Park...If anyone is up for it, maybe we could all meet on a friday night sometime?....I see the guys in the other threads organized something like that.... :popcorn:

Not that I could make it myself but speaking of the South Hills I used to really enjoy Duke's Station when I lived out there (think it was called that)....they had a fish fry every Friday. One of the dining rooms was an old Amtrak car.

Back to weather....I think you guys may get rain to snow on the 12th. The models seem to indicate it.

I'm moving closer and closer to more normal hours....I'd love to get together w/the Pittsburgh wx peeps....I might need a few more weeks....selfishly I'll nominate.... Jay's Sports Bar at the Iceoplex in Southpointe...but I'm cool w/anything in the South Hills....as opposed to my posts I'd be happy to talk about the weather...just as long as I don't have to. :axe:

Looking at potentially several inches on Thursday night and possibly a clipper on Sunday with several more. Thursday night looking more likely. Sunday still a ways out but we were supposed to get some clippers in Jan and Feb. The way this winter is going I would be happy with a nice 1-3 or 2-4 inch clipper.

The new NAM has the low in the same place but it is a little drier. It's still looking like a possible 1-3 inch snowfall tomorrow night with some pretty strong winds behind it for Friday.

12z GFS shows a healthy swatch of about .25 all snow. A general 1-3 looks good right now. If the models continue to show a solid .25 I would even say a 2-4 range might be better as there should be some LES after the storm moves out.

18z GFS is still showing .25 and 18z Nam a little a little less but I still think we are looking at a solid 1-3 and like you said Ritual, maybe 2-4 in spots. It definitely is holding course on the models. Would be nice with the strong dynamics when the front goes through if we could have a clap of Thunder.

12z GFS shows a healthy swatch of about .25 all snow. A general 1-3 looks good right now. If the models continue to show a solid .25 I would even say a 2-4 range might be better as there should be some LES after the storm moves out.

I saw Cleveland has Youngstown for 1-2 inches tomorrow night and Pit has us for 1 inch. All models I have seen so far have the major precip through Western Pa.

This is what Cleveland has to say.

LOW WILL BE EJECTED NORTHEAST TOMORROW AFTERNOON AS STRONG COLD

FRONT NOW INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST MOVES ACROSS THE AREA. EXPECT HIGHS

IN THE MORNING WITH FALLING TEMPS DURING THE AFTERNOON. JUDGING FROM

THE THICKNESSES RAIN WILL TURN TO SNOW ACROSS NW OHIO BY THURSDAY

EVENING...AND ALL PRECIP SHOULD BE SNOW EVERYWHERE BY MIDNIGHT LOCAL.

SYNOPTIC SNOW SITUATION SETTING UP THURSDAY NIGHT AS A VIGOROUS

SHORT WAVE SWINGS ACROSS THE AREA. EXACT TRACK OF THE SHORT WAVE

WILL DETERMINE WHERE HEAVIEST SNOW FALLS.

Surprise, surprise...kpit not paying attention to this...only mentioned les in the discussion....

I saw Cleveland has Youngstown for 1-2 inches tomorrow night and Pit has us for 1 inch. All models I have seen so far have the major precip through Western Pa.

This is what Cleveland has to say.

LOW WILL BE EJECTED NORTHEAST TOMORROW AFTERNOON AS STRONG COLD

FRONT NOW INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST MOVES ACROSS THE AREA. EXPECT HIGHS

IN THE MORNING WITH FALLING TEMPS DURING THE AFTERNOON. JUDGING FROM

THE THICKNESSES RAIN WILL TURN TO SNOW ACROSS NW OHIO BY THURSDAY

EVENING...AND ALL PRECIP SHOULD BE SNOW EVERYWHERE BY MIDNIGHT LOCAL.

SYNOPTIC SNOW SITUATION SETTING UP THURSDAY NIGHT AS A VIGOROUS

SHORT WAVE SWINGS ACROSS THE AREA. EXACT TRACK OF THE SHORT WAVE

WILL DETERMINE WHERE HEAVIEST SNOW FALLS.

Once again, I just don't get it, and get what they are looking at. Am I missing something here, because this looks to me like almost a line of severe storms moving through, just in winter...

How do they not even mention it?

WOW!!!

Someone check me on it, but I think that is snow, for the most part...going to get blitzed pretty hard.

Pretty darn close to all snow at that point. The cold wind and snow look like they're gonna come through with a vengeance. Could get fairly nasty out there factoring in winds and plummeting temps, even if there isn't massive amounts of snow.

Pretty darn close to all snow at that point. The cold wind and snow look like they're gonna come through with a vengeance. Could get fairly nasty out there factoring in winds and plummeting temps, even if there isn't massive amounts of snow.

GFS gets us close to .5 QPF total precip...and usually lake effect can be underdone.

Looking at a quick 2-4 thump I think, then another 2-4 with lake effect? I mean, the snow ratios, I imagine, are going to be pretty high once we get into the lake effect portion of the event.

Time for a WSW I think, and if you have to downgrade to an advisory if they have to, but given the fact that you could be looking at a blizzard like conditions for a period, you need to get the word out.

Archived