joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, ready for another winter? :)

While we wait for a good snowstorm to track, thought you may be interested in taking a trip down memory lane. Someone on YouTube posted videos of KDKA and WPXI news from Jan. 3, 1994:

KDKA-TV News (I think at Noon):

KDKA-TV Weather with Bob Kudzma:

WPXI-TV News (Evening):

Weather Channel:

These videos are new additions. Someone else posted WTAE's coverage of this storm on YouTube a while back.

Thanks for posting that. I lived on Mt. Washington at that time and got 21". I remember watching the old Radar Weather channel (KDKA radar and weather radio combined, remember that?) and hearing all the heavy snow reports to Pgh's south. I got in the shower and when I got out, I was floored by how hard it was snowing. I never got to work that morning.

That storm shut the Burgh down at rush hour. Classic.

Was that well forecasted? I can't remember.

I remember that storm, I got 30" of snow. Kinda like the Feb 5-6 2010 storm, but the snow was more powdery then the Sierra Cement we got in 2010.

It's one of my fav storms, along with the 1993 storm and then 2010 storm.

edit: The Weather Channel made a mistake, the video says Murrysville, but it's Monroeville, because of the Johnette Building in the background, and the BP station on the Corner of Stroschein Road and RT 22.

I was one of the fools that worked downtown. I left my home in Plum at 6:30 am and got into town around 8:30 am. I worked on the 7th floor of the Union National Building. All we did was look out the windows for 3 hours before our bosses told us to go home. I remember you couldn't see the buildings across the way and could barely see down at the street below. The snowflakes were the size of silver dollars. It took me 3 more hours to drive home and had to abandon my car on a side street off Rt. 286. Us snow lovers had a nice stretch of storms at this time with the superstorm of 93, this storm and the big snows in 1996. Lot's of record cold as well.

Thanks for posting that. I lived on Mt. Washington at that time and got 21". I remember watching the old Radar Weather channel (KDKA radar and weather radio combined, remember that?) and hearing all the heavy snow reports to Pgh's south. I got in the shower and when I got out, I was floored by how hard it was snowing. I never got to work that morning.

That storm shut the Burgh down at rush hour. Classic.

Was that well forecasted? I can't remember.

Hey all, ready for another winter? :)

While we wait for a good snowstorm to track, thought you may be interested in taking a trip down memory lane. Someone on YouTube posted videos of KDKA and WPXI news from Jan. 3, 1994:

KDKA-TV News (I think at Noon):

KDKA-TV Weather with Bob Kudzma:

WPXI-TV News (Evening):

Weather Channel:

These videos are new additions. Someone else posted WTAE's coverage of this storm on YouTube a while back.

Fond fond memories of my favorite snowstorm of all time! Thanks for posting this! I got 27" from that one in the rural Westmoreland County town I lived in at the time.

Models are still trending west, latest nam looks a lot like latest euro. Its getting close to game time so we can't count on the westward shift much more but another 15-20 miles would go a long way in seeing accumulating snowfall. Shocked at the amount of activity on here considering the limited amount of snow we've seen so far.

Models are still trending west, latest nam looks a lot like latest euro. Its getting close to game time so we can't count on the westward shift much more but another 15-20 miles would go a long way in seeing accumulating snowfall. Shocked at the amount of activity on here considering the limited amount of snow we've seen so far.

Actually, up until a couple of days ago, there wasn't a post on here for about a week and a half I think. This latest storm to track has brought some folks back on here with some interest.

Just Sunny and chilly.

Most of the Snow will be east and south of the area,, unless the models changes.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35. West wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I see that most of the snow is going to miss Pittsburgh :axe: I am driving up from NC on thursday morning to catch the game against the Browns. I finally got some tickets for my 6yr old son and me. Can someone give me an idea on the weather as I get near Pittsburgh. Looks like I may run into snow up through west va? thanks

Might not be a very fun drive through WV, to be honest.

Just Sunny and chilly.

Most of the Snow will be east and south of the area,, unless the models changes.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35. West wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I certainly understand that, but to not even mention a probability of snow?

Geez so much pessimism in here.. We've had two great winters the past two years, storms are going to miss us. If they didn't we probably would avg way more then 40 inches a year. Throwing the towel already? We've seen maybe 2 inches of snow so far, so I'm happy with an inch or two at this point. Considering the models have trended our way all day gives me hope this may be possible. The nam went about 100 miles or so in our favor and is knocking on our door with a 2-4 3-5 snowstorm. Another 20 mile nudge and we're there, another 50 miles and we're nearing WSW criteria.

Well, 00z GFS just printed out 3-4 inches of snow in Allegheny County, but here is my NWS forecast...

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 36. West wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind between 6 and 8 mph.

I mean really?? Come on. At the very least, MENTION that there is a 30% chance of snow.

Didn't they do this with the October storm as well? I believe they had a 20% chance of snow showers right up until some areas woke up to 2 inches of wet snow on Saturday morning.

Well, 00z GFS just printed out 3-4 inches of snow in Allegheny County, but here is my NWS forecast...

I mean really?? Come on. At the very least, MENTION that there is a 30% chance of snow.

Archived