• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Errant Tornado Warnings

Reports coming in of at least 3 EAS toned Tornado Warnings in the DC area. Email from the NWS:

All (media and emergency management): As we currently know, at least 3 tornado warnings have been issued outside of the office for the mid Atlantic region. We are working furiously at the highest levels of our agency to find the source of these invalid alerts and stop them immediately. Please disregard any tornado warnings today in the mid Atlantic region. We will let you know the resolution of this as soon as possible.

PNS: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/warnpns.php

Ouch! Would not want to be in that office today. Sounds like someone f-d up the weekly NWR tests. Ha, Sterling is the most visible office to NWS HQ and they always seem to be the one that messes up the most. Egads.

Ouch is right! Interesting though as the PNS says the warnings are not coming from the Sterling office. It should be interesting to find out where the warnings came from exactly.

Ouch is right! Interesting though as the PNS says the warnings are not coming from the Sterling office. It should be interesting to find out where the warnings came from exactly.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense in a way. I'll be real curious to see what happened. I'm almost tempted to log into chat.

Here's what came out for my county.

TEST...TORNADO...TEST

...THIS MESSAGE IS FOR TEST PURPOSES ONLY...

THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE.

VAC061-139-157-165-171-187-WVC031-261815-

/O.NEW.KLWX.TO.W.0116.111026T1747Z-111026T1815Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON

147 PM EDT WED OCT 26 2011

THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTH CENTRAL HARDY COUNTY IN EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA...

FAUQUIER COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

NORTHERN PAGE COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VIRGINIA...

NORTHERN RAPPAHANNOCK COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VIRGINIA...

SOUTHERN SHENANDOAH COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VIRGINIA...

WARREN COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VIRGINIA...

NORTH CENTRAL ROCKINGHAM COUNTY IN WESTERN VIRGINIA...

THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE.

* UNTIL 215 PM EDT

* AT 145 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 7 MILES WEST OF

MOUNT JACKSON...OR 23 MILES SOUTHEAST OF MOOREFIELD...MOVING EAST

AT 60 MPH.

THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...

MOUNT JACKSON BY 150 PM EDT...

7 MILES SOUTH OF WOODSTOCK BY 200 PM EDT...

THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. GET UNDER A

WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. IF NO BASEMENT IS

AVAILABLE...SEEK SHELTER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN AN

INTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO

COVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE.

IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES...EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE A

SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THE

NEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS.

THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE. DO NOT TAKE ACTION BASED ON THIS MESSAGE.

&&

LAT...LON 3891 7807 3867 7887 3885 7889

TIME...MOT...LOC 1745Z 266DEG 52KT 3876 7876

That is interesting. They did issue warnings but as a test. I thought the NWS was not supposed to issue these test convective warnings because of VTEC.

Yeah I thought the same. Weird it's using a VTEC number of 116 and for an actual TO.W. If you look up their real TORs, the last one had a VTEC number of 97. Where are the other 8? lol. Something is very odd here.

Yeah I thought the same. Weird it's using a VTEC number of 116 and for an actual TO.W. If you look up their real TORs, the last one had a VTEC number of 97. Where are the other 8? lol. Something is very odd here.

That is very odd. I also noticed the coding in the VTEC line as it was for an actual tornado warning. Not sure about the differences in the VTEC numbers, but perhaps someone sent out a test from a different/partial database?

You happen to check the chat? ;)

That is very odd. I also noticed the coding in the VTEC line as it was for an actual tornado warning. Not sure about the differences in the VTEC numbers, but perhaps someone sent out a test from a different/partial database?

You happen to check the chat? ;)

That could be...the numbering is just too different. I'd hate to be the WCM in that office today.

No I didn't log into chat, running out of time. I'll wait to hear the juicy gossip tonight on my mid. lol

That could be...the numbering is just too different. I'd hate to be the WCM in that office today.

No I didn't log into chat, running out of time. I'll wait to hear the juicy gossip tonight on my mid. lol

Yeah, quite the difference in the numbering. What actually happened should be interesting.

...test weather warnings that were labeled as tests, but improperly coded as active warnings, were inadvertently distributed to subscribers of the weather wire and emergency management news wire. Though the messages were clearly labeled as a test, they should not have been distributed outside the agency.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/national-weather-service-releases-false-tornado-warnings-for-dc-area/2011/10/26/gIQAwirhJM_blog.html

From Ch 9 Topper Shutt

http://www.wusa9.com/life/community/persona.aspx?U=32f6c1326ff54c35a763a1b958ee9ad9&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=32f6c1326ff54c35a763a1b958ee9ad9&plckPostId=Blog%3a32f6c1326ff54c35a763a1b958ee9ad9Post%3a77e49bb1-7cc7-46b5-8c56-4d21474d6030&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

False Warnings

10/26/2011 5:33 PM EDT Tags: False, #tornado, Warnings

False tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings were issued for most of the Metro Area Wednesday afternoon around 2:30 PM. The warnings were test messages as NOAA headquarters in Silver Spring tested software. The messages did say 'test' in many lines of the warnings but the messages were encoded incorrectly triggering the alert systems in the Metro Area. Susan Buchanan, of NOAA in Silver Spring, said that the warnings were supposed to remain internal.

Here's the official statement from the National Weather Service in Sterling:

All,

Earlier today, test weather warnings that were labeled as tests, but improperly coded as active warnings, were inadvertently distributed to subscribers of the weather wire and emergency management news wire.Though the messages were clearly labeled as a test, they should not have been distributed outside the agency. We regret any confusion this has caused and assure our customers that we will do all we can to prevent this from happening in the future.

From Ch 9 Topper Shutt

http://www.wusa9.com...tId=personaDest

False Warnings

10/26/2011 5:33 PM EDT Tags: False, #tornado, Warnings

False tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings were issued for most of the Metro Area Wednesday afternoon around 2:30 PM. The warnings were test messages as NOAA headquarters in Silver Spring tested software. The messages did say 'test' in many lines of the warnings but the messages were encoded incorrectly triggering the alert systems in the Metro Area. Susan Buchanan, of NOAA in Silver Spring, said that the warnings were supposed to remain internal.

Here's the official statement from the National Weather Service in Sterling:

All,

Earlier today, test weather warnings that were labeled as tests, but improperly coded as active warnings, were inadvertently distributed to subscribers of the weather wire and emergency management news wire.Though the messages were clearly labeled as a test, they should not have been distributed outside the agency. We regret any confusion this has caused and assure our customers that we will do all we can to prevent this from happening in the future.

Whoa...was this from HQ or the WFO?

http://www.srh.noaa....data/LWX/PNSLWX

000 NOUS41 KLWX 262127 PNSLWX DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-501-502-VAZ025>031- 036>040-042-050>057-501>504-WVZ050>053-055-501>506-270930- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL- NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE- PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT- EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-AUGUSTA- ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON- ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER- PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX- ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA- KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-WESTERN HIGHLAND- EASTERN HIGHLAND-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY- WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL- WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

527 PM EDT WED OCT 26 2011

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

EARLIER TODAY...TEST WEATHER WARNINGS THAT WERE LABELED AS TESTS...BUT IMPROPERLY CODED AS ACTIVE WARNINGS...WERE INADVERTENTLY DISTRIBUTED TO SUBSCRIBERS OF THE NOAA WEATHER WIRE AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT NEWS WIRE FROM A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HEADQUARTERS TESTING FACILITY. THOUGH THE MESSAGES WERE CLEARLY LABELED AS A TEST...THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DISTRIBUTED OUTSIDE THE AGENCY.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE REGRETS ANY CONFUSION THAT THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED. THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HEADQUARTERS TESTING FACILITY WANTS TO ASSURE OUR CUSTOMERS THAT THEY WILL IMMEDIATELY TAKE ACTION TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING IN THE FUTURE.

$

http://www.srh.noaa....data/LWX/PNSLWX

000 NOUS41 KLWX 262127 PNSLWX DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-501-502-VAZ025>031- 036>040-042-050>057-501>504-WVZ050>053-055-501>506-270930- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL- NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE- PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT- EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-AUGUSTA- ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON- ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER- PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX- ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA- KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-WESTERN HIGHLAND- EASTERN HIGHLAND-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY- WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL- WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

527 PM EDT WED OCT 26 2011

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

EARLIER TODAY...TEST WEATHER WARNINGS THAT WERE LABELED AS TESTS...BUT IMPROPERLY CODED AS ACTIVE WARNINGS...WERE INADVERTENTLY DISTRIBUTED TO SUBSCRIBERS OF THE NOAA WEATHER WIRE AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT NEWS WIRE FROM A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HEADQUARTERS TESTING FACILITY. THOUGH THE MESSAGES WERE CLEARLY LABELED AS A TEST...THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DISTRIBUTED OUTSIDE THE AGENCY.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE REGRETS ANY CONFUSION THAT THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED. THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HEADQUARTERS TESTING FACILITY WANTS TO ASSURE OUR CUSTOMERS THAT THEY WILL IMMEDIATELY TAKE ACTION TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING IN THE FUTURE.

$

This is too good to be true. lol

Lol. Right. This happens so often. At least it was explained well and the responsibility conveyed.

A true test of what kind of guy you are here Scott. You blamed LWX only to discover you were wrong. That is an excellent group of folks over there. I dont know, if it were me, I would probably apologize. But thats probably just me.

A true test of what kind of guy you are here Scott. You blamed LWX only to discover you were wrong. That is an excellent group of folks over there. I dont know, if it were me, I would probably apologize. But thats probably just me.

Okay, I'm sorry LWX. These types of statements by me (isohume) were rash and I will do everything in my power to learn from my faulted assumptions and to never let this happen again.

Archived