joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM still showing best ML frontogenesis across NNE ... I'm still interested to see whether some banding of better echoes forms across S VT into C NH

frontb54.png

Most of the time it would be, but I think the forcing is defintely more in the lower levels. Look how compact the gradient is at 850. Maybe it does throw some more snow further north.

Most of the time it would be, but I think the forcing is defintely more in the lower levels. Look how compact the gradient is at 850. Maybe it does throw some more snow further north.

Which will be a problem for southern areas. This morning a lot of the BUFKIT soundings showed some serious snow growth issues south of the Pike. ORH was borderline but OK. BDL was atrocious.

MEkster last night was saying even 2" of paste can bring down lots of limbs...

Power issues ahead?

Yes...although most of the higher spots have less leaves than lower down so that will help, but even so, there will still be issues because the snow will be wet and even 2-4 paste in winter can cause some minor issues...throw in some leaves and it could be a bit ugly.

Happens just about every year now it seems. Once you get down into the BOX and OKX CWAs, the criteria is three inches, and with criteria that low, I think they should stick to it first snowfall or not.

Yeah I've always thought the same, but then again even during the middle of the winter they'll use Advisories or Warnings for snow during commutes even if it doesn't necessarily reach criteria. There seems to be some decent leeway in those statements. The worst are the Winter Storm Warnings when snowfall only averages 5" or so but all falls in 3 hours during the evening commute or something.

MEkster last night was saying even 2" of paste can bring down lots of limbs...

Power issues ahead?

Maybe the tree that I did not take down will come down after all.

Saving money, ftw.

Losing my power (the line to the house would come down with it) ftl

Generator, ftw

Cable/internet also under the tree, ftl.

48.5/34

Yes...although most of the higher spots have less leaves than lower down so that will help, but even so, there will still be issues because the snow will be wet and even 2-4 paste in winter can cause some minor issues...throw in some leaves and it could be a bit ugly.

Judging by MRG Pete, I thought the higher elevations have been bare for a month?

Haha, but it is nice to see even the Red Taggers getting excited about this.

Yeah I've always thought the same, but then again even during the middle of the winter they'll use Advisories or Warnings for snow during commutes even if it doesn't necessarily reach criteria. There seems to be some decent leeway in those statements. The worst are the Winter Storm Warnings when snowfall only averages 5" or so but all falls in 3 hours during the evening commute or something.

To be honest the winter advisory/warning program doesn't mean much of anything to the general public. In fact most of the time I don't even mention what the NWS has issued here in CT because it's a nightmare sometimes with 3 offices covering 8 counties.

Most mets can't even tell you what the criteria is. Sometimes I wish the NWS would just stick to severe wx alerts and just get rid of the headlines the rest of the time... they're more confusing than not half the time.

Judging by MRG Pete, I thought the higher elevations have been bare for a month?

Haha, but it is nice to see even the Red Taggers getting excited about this.

Lol...there are groves of trees that are all bare when driving around 1000-1400 feet, but it just depends on what type and where they are. You can get one view of a grove where its all bare and right down the road with some different tree type and exposure will still have a lot of foliage on them.

But if 4" of paste falls, that will def cause some issues.

To be honest the winter advisory/warning program doesn't mean much of anything to the general public. In fact most of the time I don't even mention what the NWS has issued here in CT because it's a nightmare sometimes with 3 offices covering 8 counties.

Most mets can't even tell you what the criteria is. Sometimes I wish the NWS would just stick to severe wx alerts and just get rid of the headlines the rest of the time... they're more confusing than not half the time.

That's probably very true. My parents wouldn't know the difference between a Winter Storm Warning and an Advisory. I'm sure they don't even know the difference between a Watch and a Warning either, lol. It just means they expect to be inconvenienced which I guess is sort of the point of the statements anyway.

Lol...there are groves of trees that are all bare when driving around 1000-1400 feet, but it just depends on what type and where they are. You can get one view of a grove where its all bare and right down the road with some different tree type and exposure will still have a lot of foliage on them.

But if 4" of paste falls, that will def cause some issues.

Yeah 4" would be very bad I would think.... there's a big difference between 2" and 4" in terms of weight factors on trees. And this will likely be a 6-8:1 ratio snowfall where you can squeeze the water out by making a snowball.

The other thing that can impact trees is that even if the surface thermometers are reading 34-35F with no real ground accumulation, trees are going to be the most susceptible to accumulating snow being elevated and away from the warm ground. In marginal situations the top of a pine tree in your yard is going to have by far the most accumulation of anywhere else, lol. You know, one of those 2" snowfalls where the wet grass is sort of patchy in accumulations (especially if half inch of rain falls first), and there's very little ground accumulation, but every little twig and branch has 2" on it just like your deck railing.

Which will be a problem for southern areas. This morning a lot of the BUFKIT soundings showed some serious snow growth issues south of the Pike. ORH was borderline but OK. BDL was atrocious.

Anyone know how to run the skew-t's from Twister? I keep moving the "pin" and hit the "plot a new sounding", but it always goes back to 42.5/72.5.

(I'm trying to get 42.599, -72.632).

Thanks!

They should reintroduce the "traveler's advisories".

Archived