SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any model solution that gets anything other then maybe 1-2" of a Cumby Chill Zone up this way

Euro and gfs graze nne over the event...1-2" is probably the upper end...lol more like 1-2 flakes hahah but there are some solutions grazing my area in NE VT maybe not so much over in maine out your way.

Eh, what do they know ;)

I don't think we should really expect any accumulations here in Boston with round 1. We may end as some flakes but I highly doubt any of it sticks unless something closer to the 18z NAM happens with stronger and more developed mid level lows and even with that type of solution I still think the BL is too warm close to the coast.

Storm 2 on the other hand is much more interesting for accumulating snows getting all the way to the coast with the tipeostrophic flow sucking the cold air down from the north.

I'm hoping being out in the Burbs this year nets me a little more snow.

I don't think we should really expect any accumulations here in Boston with round 1. We may end as some flakes but I highly doubt any of it sticks unless something closer to the 18z NAM happens with stronger and more developed mid level lows and even with that type of solution I still think the BL is too warm close to the coast.

Storm 2 on the other hand is much more interesting for accumulating snows getting all the way to the coast with the tipeographic flow sucking the cold air down from the north.

Thank god

Exactly! I'm a lover of DST...and really like the decision to extend it 6 weeks each year. But at the time I never really considered the ramifications in model wait time. The switch in the spring is especially frustrating after getting used to the 'earlier' run times for the whole winter...makes you feel like a jonesing addict having to wait an extra hour for your crack .

Love that 10 inch line over my house. LOL The 18Z NAM certainly shared the love....

This 18z NAM is the absolute best scenario for our neck of the woods for the first threat. Good accumulations right down to us poor suckers in the valley. Unfortunately...its on its own right now. I think you still look good for some light accumulations even if the NAM doesn't pan out.

BOX says congrats all of us hill folks..and even lowlanders too

PRELIM THINKING ON SNOW ACCUM IS 2-6" OVER

HIGH ELEVATIONS OF NORTHERN MA AND S NH...BUT ONLY AROUND AN INCH IN

THE LOW ELEVATIONS OUTSIDE OF I495 BELT. NO ACCUM BOS-PVD

CORRIDOR.

Unfortunately, they make no reference to their CT zones wrt accumulations yet.

Assuming there are no drastic changes in the next 36 hours (I'm sure there will be some wrenches), it will be fun to get reports of the changeover as the line progresses. The AFD has higher NW zones beginning mid-late afternoon.

I'm curious--both from a mby and a general curiousity standpoint--what the knowledgeable folks take is on the NAM shift of qpf south. Cause? Likelihood of that playing out?

49.1/34

Unfortunately, they make no reference to their CT zones wrt accumulations yet.

Assuming there are no drastic changes in the next 36 hours (I'm sure there will be some wrenches), it will be fun to get reports of the changeover as the line progresses. The AFD has higher NW zones beginning mid-late afternoon.

I'm curious--both from a mby and a general curiousity standpoint--what the knowledgeable folks take is on the NAM shift of qpf south. Cause? Likelihood of that playing out?

49.1/34

Reformed?lol

NAM still showing best ML frontogenesis across NNE ... I'm still interested to see whether some banding of better echoes forms across S VT into C NH

Everything seems to be compressed in these anafrontal waves...there is little moisture above about 550-600mb after 18z and the bulk of the lift is below 700mb during the evening.

This is from GYX and i think this may be the 1st time i have heard of this..

ALTHOUGH SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN BELOW THE 4

INCH CRITERIA FOR A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY... IT IS POSSIBLE THAT

AN ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THIS EARLY SEASON

SNOWFALL WHICH MAY BE IMPACTING THE EVENING COMMUTE. A CLOSER LOOK

AT THE AVAILABLE COLD/DRY AIR WILL HELP SHED MORE LIGHT ON WHETHER

SURFACE TEMPERATURES WILL GET COLD ENOUGH FOR BETTER ACCUMULATIONS

that's right , Scooter does work there if i recall correctly

guess i should clarify that's its one of their products based off of another model ...maybe the HRW or something similar

It's a local in-house thing, but like any meso model..it does weird things. I don't look at it beyond 24 hrs.

This is from GYX and i think this may be the 1st time i have heard of this..

ALTHOUGH SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN BELOW THE 4

INCH CRITERIA FOR A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY... IT IS POSSIBLE THAT

AN ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THIS EARLY SEASON

SNOWFALL WHICH MAY BE IMPACTING THE EVENING COMMUTE. A CLOSER LOOK

AT THE AVAILABLE COLD/DRY AIR WILL HELP SHED MORE LIGHT ON WHETHER

SURFACE TEMPERATURES WILL GET COLD ENOUGH FOR BETTER ACCUMULATIONS

Happens just about every year now it seems. Once you get down into the BOX and OKX CWAs, the criteria is three inches, and with criteria that low, I think they should stick to it first snowfall or not.

Archived