• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MDA's dynaCAST climate analog tool

QVectorman

Does anyone have access to MDA's dynaCAST climate analog tool and do you if it would it be able to provide top analog years for a given year based on say the DJF mean 500 mb anomolies? Just read about it online. Does anyone know what a subscription cost to have access to dynaCAST?

Does anyone have access to MDA's dynaCAST climate analog tool and do you if it would it be able to provide top analog years for a given year based on say the DJF mean 500 mb anomolies? Just read about it online. Does anyone know what a subscription cost to have access to dynaCAST?

We do not do 500mb anomaly correlations specifically, but we do have tools to look at the 2m temp anomalies.

DynaCast is more of a user-input tool that you can use to look at temp, precip and degree day anomalies and volatility. You can also adjust the normals to 10 yr, 30 yr, the old 30 yr and 50 yr.

There are some analog tools in DynaCast that can be found in the image below. The ENSO analogs have some met. input concerning possible future trends. Otherwise, analogs are based off of current and past values (most/all use values going back 6 months, including ENSO). You can also choose a date range and look at the different MJO and GWO phases during the chosen times to see what their typical influences are (based off of historical anomalies for each phase when it occurred during that time period).

post-96-0-44619000-1318954374.png

post-96-0-61070500-1318954383.png

There is another MDA tool, the Similar Year Calculator, can look at a period of temp/precip anomalies in U.S. and Canada and find analog years based on these anomalies (while also assigning different weights). You can choose anywhere from 1 to 15 analogs.

post-96-0-84008600-1318954417.png

We also have a tool called Ag On Demand where you can look at historical temp/precip/DD information in different regions in the U.S. and throughout the world.

DynaCast and the Similar Year Calculator use data back to 1950. Ag On Demand only goes to 2006 and the queried time periods cannot exceed 6 months.

-----

The products are geared towards commercial use rather than individual use, so pricing is set accordingly. Usually the pricing is too high for most individuals, but we are always willing to work with people to try to find an agreeable rate.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I can assist you further to the best of my knowledge or direct you to someone else in the company who could give you the answers you're looking for.

Thanks so much. Good info.

Do you mind me asking then, what analog years it comes up with for the 2 m temp anomolies for DJF of 2010-2011?

Forgot to do this yesterday :(

I suppose I could give you a freebie :P ...some of the analogs for DJF 2010-11 include 2009-10, 1995-96, 1965-66, 1955-56 and 1970-71. 2009-10 was the closest match.

NOTE: These analogs include the southern half of Canada (up to 57N and bounded by 130W and 65W) and is not tied to JUST the CONUS temperature anomalies.

Forgot to do this yesterday :(

I suppose I could give you a freebie :P ...some of the analogs for DJF 2010-11 include 2009-10, 1995-96, 1965-66, 1955-56 and 1970-71. 2009-10 was the closest match.

NOTE: These analogs include the southern half of Canada (up to 57N and bounded by 130W and 65W) and is not tied to JUST the CONUS temperature anomalies.

Awesome, thanks so much :thumbsup: I really appreciate that!! I was also wondering what your graphics look like for the MJO phase temp/precip anomolies. I always look at the CPC's graphics. Would you willing to post a screen shot of your choice of the MJO product?

Awesome, thanks so much :thumbsup: I really appreciate that!! I was also wondering what your graphics look like for the MJO phase temp/precip anomolies. I always look at the CPC's graphics. Would you willing to post a screen shot of your choice of the MJO product?

I'll be glad to help you further... check your PMs.

Archived