NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

905 PM MDT TUE OCT 25 2011

.UPDATE...WE ISSUED A WINTER WEATHERADVISORY FOR SNOW FOR ZONES

48 AND 49 IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHTTONIGHT UNTIL NOON MDT

WEDNESDAY. HRRR INDICATED SOMEENHANCED SNOWFALL...MAINLY FROM

AKRON NORTHWARD. LOOKS LIKE SOMEENHANCED BANDED SNOWFALL

ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPPER JET. INADDITION...THE RAIN AND CHANGED

OVER TO SNOW ALONG THE INTERSTATE 25CORRIDOR ALREADY SO WL MAKE

MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO THE WEATHER GRIDSTHIS EVENING.

&&

.AVIATION...RAIN HAD HAS CHANGED OVERTO SNOW A COUPLE OF HOURS

SOONER THAN EXPECTED...WL AMEND THETAFS TO REFLECT THIS. OVERALL

TREND STILL ON TRACK WITH IFRCONDITIONS...PREVAILING CIGS BLO 1K

FT AND VSBYS RESTRICTED TO LESS THANONE MILE. SHOULD SEE SOME

IMPROVEMENT 15-18Z IN THE TIME FRAME.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

345 AM MDT WED OCT 26 2011.

SHORT TERM...ALWAYS A FEW WRINKLES THAT DEVELOP IN WHAT SEEMED LIKEA CASE THAT COULDN`T MISS. GRANT IT IS SNOWING EVERYWHERE JUST NOT AS HARD AS MAYBE ANTICIPATED IN SOME LOCATIONS. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL SO FAR HAS BEEN ACROSS NORTHERN BOULDER...LARIMER AND WELD COUNTIES WHERE PERSISTENT BANDED JET INDUCED PRECIP REMAINED FROM LONGMONT TO GREELEY FOR SOME TIME DURING THE NIGHT. SPOTTER REPORTS UPWARDS OF 6 INCHES HAD FALLEN AT GREELEY AND FORT COLLINS ALONGWITH POWER OUTAGES IN SOME RURAL AREAS AS OF 2 AM.

FURTHER SOUTH ACROSS DENVER ESTIMATES OF 1-3 INCHES APPEAR THE NORMAL.THE MAIN STORM SYSTEM HAS BEEN DIGGING MORE THAN THE MODELS HAD ADVERTISED AS RUC QG HEIGHT TENDENCY FIELDS SHOWING THE BEST FALL SSTILL WAY BACK ACROSS SOUTHERN NEVADA. THIS HAS PULLED THE STRONGER LIFT WITH THE TROF FURTHER WEST AND LEFT MUCH OF OUR AREA IN ONLY WEAK UPWARD VERTICAL VELOCITIES. WITH THIS TRAJECTORY SOME DRYSLOTTING HAS ALSO OCCURRED AS INTEGRATED PRECIPITABLE WATER TRENDS FROM GPS HAVE SHOWN A SMALL DECREASE IN PW VALUES IN THE PAST 6HOURS.

SOME OF THIS IS CHANGING WITH SEVERAL BATCHES OF GOOD PRECIP COMING IN FROM WESTERN COLORADO WHILE LOCAL PROFILERS AND VAD WINDS SHOWING THE SHALLOW UPSLOPE FLOW DEEPENING. LATEST RUC SHOWING THE HEAVIEST STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL ALONG THE DIVIDE AND EAST SLOPES THROUGH BOULDER AND LARIMER COUNTIES...WITH A DECREASING SNOW GRADIENT EAST AND SOUTHEAST OF DENVER. STILL EXPECT SOME HEAVIER SNOW DURING THE MORNING HOURS WITH THE DEEPEST UPSLOPE AND STRONGEST ASCENT.OVERALL WILL NEED TO LOWER SNOW AMOUNTS A BIT...ESPECIALLY FROM DENVER EASTWARD. HOWEVER WILL NUDGE AMOUNTS UPWARDS ACROSS LARIMER AND WELD COUNTIES GIVEN THE SNOW WHICH HAS ALREADY FALLEN.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trees and branches down all over the place in Boulder. The power is out up at my place in Boulder Canyon and in several places throughout town.

From Xcel Energy:

The snowstorm that moved through Colorado Oct. 25 has knocked out power to more than 60,000 customers in metro Denver, Greeley, Ft. Collins and Boulder. We currently have 80 line crews, including 12 from Texas, working to restore power as quickly and safely as possible. There's also another 33 crews clearing trees and branches away from our electric lines. Most of the outages are caused by tree limbs on our lines. We’ve had only one report of a broken utility pole so far. We’ll add more crews as they’re available throughout the day. Please remember to not go near or touch any downed or sagging power lines.

Large branch down in town

treedown.jpg

From my place in Boulder Canyon

octsnow.jpg

One thing I wanted to add was that I got no more than a 5 inch snow depth, particuarly on cold surfaces and on my back deck. More has fallen than what I see and I don't have a snowboard or anything to measure properly. But, a lot of the snow melted as it landed, melting from below (warm ground) and compacted with new snow falling on top of it. Amazing how well the roads did through the storm given the near 80 degree temps in the days leading up to this event.

I've lived here off and on for the last two years......too bad I didn't have a camera driving home from work yesterday b/c this was the first time I've seen trees with an abundance of foliage at the same time as snow on the ground. It makes the scenery THAT much better!

I've lived here off and on for the last two years......too bad I didn't have a camera driving home from work yesterday b/c this was the first time I've seen trees with an abundance of foliage at the same time as snow on the ground. It makes the scenery THAT much better!

October 2009 saw about 8" on grassy surfaces up in Denver, but IIRC there were a lot less leaves on the trees. I went looking for the post I made, but it took awhile before I remembered it was on Eastern.....

October 2009 saw about 8" on grassy surfaces up in Denver, but IIRC there were a lot less leaves on the trees. I went looking for the post I made, but it took awhile before I remembered it was on Eastern.....

There was a lot more than 8" in most places. I got 20" with that storm, and DEN officially got 15". You are definitely correct that there was a lot less foliage then. Fall 2009 had been a lot colder up to that point than this fall has been.

28 and mostly cloudy now here. Once it clears up this evening, temps should really fall off...the record tomorrow for DEN is a very weak 21 from 1954, and they should shatter that. Wouldn't be surprised to see them get near 10.

DEN had a low of 14, obviously setting a new record. Fort Collins also set a new record low with 12. The coldest location around the metro area was Erie with a low of 7. At my house, bottomed out at 11.

Also, DEN recorded 8.5" from this last storm. Surprised they got that much, they don't usually beat me, but I think they scored on some bands that formed further east yesterday.

There was a lot more than 8" in most places. I got 20" with that storm, and DEN officially got 15". You are definitely correct that there was a lot less foliage then. Fall 2009 had been a lot colder up to that point than this fall has been.

Yeah, we got a lot more snow but the trees were more bare. I think we had more winds by that point that year as well. Here's a pic I took on CU's campus.

My link

We had a few branches down in my neighborhood, but nothing like that.

Branches were down all over the place in Boulder. Too many trees that don't belong... drooping power lines everywhere you look. Saw numerous vehicles with large branches on top of them. 30th between Colorado and Arapahoe looked like a tree war zone yesterday.

Archived