• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

I live in Utah and there does not appear to be a Utah discussion thread so maybe I can join the Colorado thread with your guys permission?

I am not going to speak for the CO guys, but I would love to see an "Intermountain W" sub thread. It would help growth and would bring together more mountain weather folks into one region.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not going to speak for the CO guys, but I would love to see an "Intermountain W" sub thread. It would help growth and would bring together more mountain weather folks into one region.

I would love to see that as I don't really know of any other posters in my area and this would help me to feel more included.

I am in Provo Utah at BYU, next fall I am transfering to the University of utah for their meteorology program. I can enter as a junior they tell me so hopefully in 3 years I can enter the meteorology work force!

Awesome! I know a number of folks from U of U when I worked in SLC. A good program. I also know one of the profs, he is a great guy. Are you from Provo? I like UT Valley...Timpanogos is quite a sight.

Awesome! I know a number of folks from U of U when I worked in SLC. A good program. I also know one of the profs, he is a great guy. Are you from Provo? I like UT Valley...Timpanogos is quite a sight.

Nope, born and raised in Portland Oregon. I lived in LA for two years also from 2008 to 2010. I have a lot of extended family here though so I have spent plenty of time and really like the area. I have actually been thinking about hiking Timpanogos too.

Also-- Looks like Hurricane Hillary is going to get wrapped up into a cold front next weekend for some kind of fun.

Nope, born and raised in Portland Oregon. I lived in LA for two years also from 2008 to 2010. I have a lot of extended family here though so I have spent plenty of time and really like the area. I have actually been thinking about hiking Timpanogos too.

Also-- Looks like Hurricane Hillary is going to get wrapped up into a cold front next weekend for some kind of fun.

Possibly :) The Euro and CMC have quite a strong interaction with the cutoff low meandering west of Baja. The GFS is definitely the most bullish taking Hilary into the intermountain W. Given the poor handling of the strength of the intermountain ridge by the GFS the last week, I am not confident at all of the its current solution and the moderate wave passing over the Sierra and into the intermountain W.

Possibly :) The Euro and CMC have quite a strong interaction with the cutoff low meandering west of Baja. The GFS is definitely the most bullish taking Hilary into the intermountain W. Given the poor handling of the strength of the intermountain ridge by the GFS the last week, I am not confident at all of the its current solution and the moderate wave passing over the Sierra and into the intermountain W.

True, its been hot for quite a while now with temps running about 10 degrees above normal every day so I am hoping for a break. :P I see the ECMWF is just like you said, very persistent with that ridge. It gets nudged a little but doesn't go away. Although at day 10 it almost looks like it might. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see it!

Thanks! I am really excited to get out there. Weather looks superb as well. I chose this time especially for the fall colors!

Was in Vail the past 3 days. Amazing the change on the same hills in 48 hrs. This weekend should be as perfect as it gets around here! (though I admit I am still strongly biased toward the Northeast and the southern Appalachians) Cool Wed-Thurs then warming back up. The new snow is about gone from the highest peaks.

Even with the very warm weather the past few days, leaves are turning rapidly now here in Denver metro. Probably will peak in 1-2 weeks.

In other news, doesn't look like an active pattern until maybe second week of October.

GFS has been consistent on swinging some action in here late next week and the ECMWF has caught on to that idea too. Maybe some of it will swing in your way.

I would go somewhere in the Oct 14 - Oct 21 time frame. Basically climo and it would fit with the pattern progression we are likely to see going forward.

Thanks. Sadly I am a little late to the game and those dates are full. I'll try to get close to that though.

Do any of you have favorite leaf-peeping spots? I'm a newbie to Colorado, but it seems that to see large stands of Aspen, you almost have to drive all the way to Aspen (or Telluride). I went last week to Summit County and then to a place 20 miles NNW of Silverthorne and while it wasn't peak color yet, there really weren't that many Aspen in relation to evergreens. No doubt it was beautiful, but are there any places with larger stands of aspen within a reasonable driving distance of Denver? I'd love to go somewhere this weekend, but I am at a loss for where to go... Any help is appreciated.

I'm still somewhat of a newbie too, but my impression doing a lot of driving around for a year suggests that moisture is the #1 factor, plus elevations 8-10K are best. That would suggest west of the Divide is best. Look at the blue places on this map:

http://bcn.boulder.c...g/colorado.html

We found that SW Colorado, west of the San Luis Valley, had the best aspens we've seen. Summit Co is not bad but it is more green than blue.

We have several aspens in our south metro Denver yard, and talked to an arborist about why they all seem to die before they get very big (15-20 years max)... he said moisture and temperature were the two biggest stressors. So that would go along.

Natives, feel free to shoot my sorry flatlander a** down. :rolleyes:

Just spent the last two days in Rocky Mountain. Weather was glorious both days, but today was a bit too widespread with afternoon mtn convection. Unfortunately it looks like afternoon DMC will increase a bit each day.

Fall colors were beautiful in Rocky Mtn. It was great seeing quite a bit of snow left in the Never Summer Range too.

Just spent the last two days in Rocky Mountain. Weather was glorious both days, but today was a bit too widespread with afternoon mtn convection. Unfortunately it looks like afternoon DMC will increase a bit each day.

Fall colors were beautiful in Rocky Mtn. It was great seeing quite a bit of snow left in the Never Summer Range too.

was wondering about your adventure when i saw the high temp for Denver was 88-89, hoping you were in the mtns to get away from the crap heat...you should post some pics...

what a crazy, blocked up weather pattern we are all stuck in...

waiting for snow...

Went for a 28 mile bike ride in Summit County today. Drove through some rain/snow mix on the way home (at ~ 11,500ft), and arrived home to 85 and sunny less than an hour later. Elevation sure can make a difference! In keeping with fall color reports, this was probably peak color for Frisco-Breckenridge, but it could feasibly hang on one more weekend... and it looks like there could be some snow then also :)

I can see a forest fire on Horsetooth Mountain. It's a prescribed burn. Thankfully, it isn't an out-of-control fire. This is the first time I've directly seen a forest fire.

It's the first time this year that central Utah and western Wyoming will get heavy snows. The HPC shows the Wasatch mountains at Salt Lake getting 2" of precipitation (20" of snowfall)

southwest Wyoming forecast

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: ABOVE 8000 FT STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS
 IN EXCESS OF A FOOT ARE POSSIBLE. BELOW 8000 FT
 ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY LESS.

47F at my place and raining moderately. Front is still several hours away with steady precip continuing until then and after. 700mb temps look to hit -7 or even -8C per some models tomorrow morning along with thickness lowering to 543(maybe lower) which supports wet snow. The ground is much to warm for any sticking snow right now but I would not be surprised to see a changeover to snow tomorrow AM and off and on snow again tomorrow evening. However go up 1000 feet and I bet travel gets tricky. Anyway I will probably take a picture or two after all is said and done.

Archived