Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that it's cleared down here in Englewood (South Denver), the mountains are all white and looking pretty. Went up to 8k feet this morning and there was already about 3 inches and it snowed more this afternoon, so I bet they wound up with at least 4".

Denver NWS has finally added some more stations to their climate page. Before they only had the airport, now Centennial (just south of Denver), Akron (eastern plains NE of Denver), and Limon (eastern plains SE of Denver) are also on there. Fort Collins/Loveland, Greeley, and Copper Mountain were on there briefly but have now been taken off for some reason.

Denver NWS has finally added some more stations to their climate page. Before they only had the airport, now Centennial (just south of Denver), Akron (eastern plains NE of Denver), and Limon (eastern plains SE of Denver) are also on there. Fort Collins/Loveland, Greeley, and Copper Mountain were on there briefly but have now been taken off for some reason.

I noticed this also. Why did they just become available? And is there any reason why snowfall data is not included in CLIDEN?

I'm guessing that it's because it takes a person to put snowfall data in (as well as measure it- hence why APA and others don't have any snowfall data), but the rest can be completely automated.

If true, that is ridiculous. Most PLCDs have contracted FAA observers recording snowfall and sent to NWS before CLIs are sent. Where is the snowfall measured "for" DEN? Of course it's no longer Stapleton, but if it's there on current DIA property, no reason why it can't be included in the reports. I may just pose the question on their facebook page.

With winter coming and inspired by the International Falls thread, here are some notable cold records for Boulder (I'm using them instead of Denver because Boulder has continuous records in the same general location back to 1893).

Earliest sub-freezing temperature: 9/9/1941

Earliest sub-freezing high: 10/11/2009

Earliest sub-20 temperature: 9/29/1985

Earliest sub-10 temperature: 10/13/1969

Earliest sub-zero temperature: 10/29/1917

Coldest November temperature: -12 11/27/1919

Coldest December temperature: -24 12/22/1990

Coldest January temperature: -33 1/17/1930

Coldest February temperature: -28 2/9/1936

Coldest high temperature: -12 on 2/4/1989

Coldest March temperature: -13 3/9/1932

Still watching those models flip back and forth. At least today's 12 and 18z models all moved toward a colder solution. I am hopeful that both Colorado and Utah can do reasonably well.

As of right now I would be looking at T-2 inches of snow and highs in the upper 30s or low 40s, lows in the mid 20s.

Still watching those models flip back and forth. At least today's 12 and 18z models all moved toward a colder solution. I am hopeful that both Colorado and Utah can do reasonably well.

As of right now I would be looking at T-2 inches of snow and highs in the upper 30s or low 40s, lows in the mid 20s.

Little surprised the CO guys aren't discussing this a bit more. This is shaping up to be a good early season Front Range snow event.

Little surprised the CO guys aren't discussing this a bit more. This is shaping up to be a good early season Front Range snow event.

Yeah I started paying attention today. It certainly looks promising. The consistency that something will happen is a big plus. Whatever happens, this sure beats last year when we didn't even get a storm to track until the end of the year.

I looked at some of the models yesterday. I didn't particularly notice the breakaway Utah/Colorado shortwave trough. (Although I wasn't looking too closely.) It's possible the models have changed in the last 24 hours. Today the GFS and ECMWF show a robust storm. Actually the GFS shows 41.6mm of precipitation for Fort Collins, which is insane. I got that from the forecast meteograms at http://ready.arl.noa...v/READYcmet.php If that were true, and we got all snow with a 12:1 snow ratio, it would be 19.6 inches of snow. The GFS and ECMWF seem to have some agreement on the Utah/Colorado shortwave, so I think we can certainly expect snow above 6000ft.

Winter Storm Watch issued from eastern Wyoming down to the Palmer Divide. Interestingly enough, there is a Red Flag Warning near Colorado Springs, which, I suppose, means they should be watching out for fires. Fires and Snow. Of course. How could we not have fires and snow on the same day?

Archived