• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Anyone else quit using the NCEP model site?

cyclone77

I don't think the criticism is overblown. A major world weather entity put out a website that looks like it was designed by a nine year old. Regardless of whether you get used to its functionality or find something better, it's embarrassing that it's out there.

The old site's design wasn't any better (and it was certainly more outdated). Yes, the criticism is overblown. The only real criticisms I've seen (and agree with) are related to the fact that the "links" aren't real links.

The 3-hr increments are an improvement, and I highly prefer the flash loops to java loops (since java memory issues would often hamper my ability to load large loops).

Overall, I'd say the new site is about equal to or ever-so-slightly worse than the old.

My aggravation is with the design of the site itself, not any advantages of output times or Java loops. If I ran a weather business and my web team put that amateurish design out online, I'd honestly fire them all immediately.

Again, though, I'd argue that the design of the old site wasn't any better (and possibly worse).

My aggravation is with the design of the site itself, not any advantages of output times or Java loops. If I ran a weather business and my web team put that amateurish design out online, I'd honestly fire them all immediately.

They got to get the guys who designed the new SPC Outlook pages to work on it...now that's a nice design.

it's like they went out of their way to make the same information more of a pain to access. Personally i don't like the 3 hr intervals either.

That's about the only good thing they added... the ability to see the location of the 540 in the middle of the period is invaluable... now if only they'd add the full hourly NAM and HRW models...

Disagree, 3hr increments proved very helpful for me when determining timing/placement of sleet mixing during GHD storm. The ability to see temps in between 6hr increments is never a negative.

it's like they went out of their way to make the same information more of a pain to access. Personally i don't like the 3 hr intervals either.

Archived