• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Extratropical Depression Lee

Dan,

I'd be hesitant to give too much credence to the GFS ensembles when they are forecasting the movement of a tropical system. Their lack of resolution is a distinct problem and the last verification stats I saw about 2 years ago had them losing to the operational models. That may have changed and if so, hopefully someone will correct me. The euro ensembles with their higher resolution probably may be a different story.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To give the NAM credit, it was at-least partially right as it hung Lee off the coast for longer than expected yesterday...and even had the SW drift going on for a bit. In which I believe none of the hurricane models had.

I believe yesterday's 12Z hurricane models had Lee over NE Louisiana by now. (all wrong)

The NAM gave us all something to think about , rightfully so.

NEXT ADVISORY

-------------

THIS IS THE LAST PUBLIC ADVISORY ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE

CENTER ON LEE. FUTURE INFORMATION ON LEE CAN BE FOUND IN PUBLIC

ADVISORIES ISSUED BY THE HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER...

UNDER AWIPS HEADER TCPAT3 AND WMO HEADER WTNT33 KWNH...BEGINNING AT

400 AM CDT.

The amount of dry air and subsidence behind the departing Lee is amazing. Shreveport 0Z sounding had less than 0.29" of precipitable water.

That's actually approaching a record minimum for this time of year. Quite a contrast from just 36 hours ago when they had a PWAT of 2.43in which is more than 2 standard deviations above normal! Talk about an air mass change!

rh337p.gif

4.40 inches KCHO...just sayin, it's raining. Another thing: the press loves to talk and expound on the damages of tropical systems/ hurricanes; however, what is overlooked are the benefits of rain to the streams, soil and aquifers. Hard to put a $$ on it, but I would venture to guess that it all comes out even or better for humans in the end.

Archived