joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we can kick this stubborn pattern and bring in some cooler weather for the Southeast.  After the brutality of the heat from this summer I'm ready for Autumn to settle in.  Gets you into the mood for the later holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving), plus it would give me more to do outside with yardwork besides the occasional bike ride.  It hasn't been all that bad for the second part of this month (excluding Irene's peskiness for our friends out east) and I'm still impressed with the amount of rain that I've received here, especially during the first week of this month where I had 5 straight days of rain events.  A good month overall and here's to hoping Septemeber will bring more relief.

<b></b>There is the potential for lots to talk about in September, I hope it ends up being active....<b></b>

At the rate things have been in the Atlantic, September could very well be active and light up several rounds of good discussions for the month.  We're already down to the letter K for the next named storm and we're just now approaching the peak period.  It will be interesting to see how this month plays out after what we just witnessed for August.   Some of the modeling are showing plenty of systems moving off the West African Coast and perhaps a couple developing in the Gulf of Mexico but this is going beyond a week so much can obviously change.

By the way, have you seen the 12z Euro at the 240hr.?  It's a scary sight as it has a 919mb low (aka potential Cat. 5) somewhere between Bermuda and the Bahamas.  I don't think anything else has shown this solution but thank goodness it's only 1 model and so far out on top of that.

its about time, is all i can say. i was very happy to see the new september thread! this heat can only last so long lol. no rain here in several weeks, even the weeds are wilting :lol:

i just hope at least one tropical system goes from the gulf into the se, we could use the rain (and cooler temps, at least for a few days)

Seems like the back of the summer-long heat wave has been broken in the SE. 90/48 (like KPDK is currently reporting) sounds a hell of a lot better than 90/75!

Up here it was a refreshing 50 degrees this morning, topping out around 72. I post it here because us southerners appreciate this kind of weather in August. Up here it's just another day.

By the way, have you seen the 12z Euro at the 240hr.? It's a scary sight as it has a 919mb low (aka potential Cat. 5) somewhere between Bermuda and the Bahamas. I don't think anything else has shown this solution but thank goodness it's only 1 model and so far out on top of that.

I saw that too, but you gotta figure that any storm that high in latitude and placement would most likely be heading north and then northeast, so probably no threat to the US, but hey, you never know.

its about time, is all i can say. i was very happy to see the new september thread! this heat can only last so long lol. no rain here in several weeks, even the weeds are wilting :lol:

i just hope at least one tropical system goes from the gulf into the se, we could use the rain (and cooler temps, at least for a few days)

Same over here. No sig rain in weeks, lakes are still a little low and the rivers where we frequent on the weekends are way down. Im so sick of 90+ degrees! Leaves are falling bc they are crusty dry.

Seems like the back of the summer-long heat wave has been broken in the SE. 90/48 (like KPDK is currently reporting) sounds a hell of a lot better than 90/75!

Up here it was a refreshing 50 degrees this morning, topping out around 72. I post it here because us southerners appreciate this kind of weather in August. Up here it's just another day.

The humidity has been very low for a few weeks now. Occasionally we get a day or two of sticky air but the last few weeks have been dominated by Low DP's. Much , much better at night, the dry air cools down quick and has been dropping below 70 frequently with some sub 60 nights not too far away from downtown Atlanta. I dislike the heat but I can handle the weather we have had for the last few weeks. That junk we had in June, July and early August was borderline unbearable.

The humidity has been very low for a few weeks now. Occasionally we get a day or two of sticky air but the last few weeks have been dominated by Low DP's. Much , much better at night, the dry air cools down quick and has been dropping below 70 frequently with some sub 60 nights not too far away from downtown Atlanta. I dislike the heat but I can handle the weather we have had for the last few weeks. That junk we had in June, July and early August was borderline unbearable.

It might "feel" better but dry air is causing more problems than the humidity. Dry air is characteristic of deserts and the arctic. We don't want anymore dry air. We are much better off with high humidity and a very unstable atmosphere. The past week has been torture for me. Give me humidity (and a chance of rain) or give me death!

Well I'm usually not disappointed with a month that ends up just 0.03" below normal rain wise, but considering that 3.81" fell during the first half of August and then only end up with 3.88" for the month is disappointing. It was a good chance to make up some ground on some of the longer term deficits.

I've had 82 days above 90, 14 95 and up.

My average high temp for August is 92.8F, for July 91.9F

My average monthly temp for August is 78.9F and July 79.1F

My average low temp for August is 67.7F and July 69.9F

The last 11 days have been above 95!!! :arrowhead: Two of those days were above 100.... I'm ready for the heat to subside and for Autumn to get here.... I will admit though, the lack of humidity lately has been nice when I head to work at 3AM.

It might "feel" better but dry air is causing more problems than the humidity. Dry air is characteristic of deserts and the arctic. We don't want anymore dry air. We are much better off with high humidity and a very unstable atmosphere. The past week has been torture for me. Give me humidity (and a chance of rain) or give me death!

Dry air is actually pretty typical from Late August through Late October. That is normally our driest time of year. Obviously not THIS dry though...

The last good rain here was August 8th. Everything is getting brown, some plants dying.

Our only hope for rain is early next week when a front is supposed to come through, maybe it can pick up a bit of the moisture from the tropical system models are forming near LA/TX. Unfortunately that system will likely stay well west of here. This summer is one of the two or three worst since I moved here in 1982.

Here is my contrast to that about 70 miles due north.

Just 27 days above 90 and ZERO of 95+. Hard to believe that short distance makes that much difference.

while down in town and around the county it has been scorching over 95 on many occasions, imby the temp hasnt been above 95 either all summer, the highest temp was around 93 (actually it was just under at 92.6). looks like about 27-30 days here above 90 all summer as well. it is amazing what just a little elevation can do at times. although mby is dry as a bone.

we need a CAD event this year where it makes an even better difference :devilsmiley:

edited to add rain info: about 4.5 -5" in both june and july, less than 1.5" so far in august :(

The last good rain here was August 8th. Everything is getting brown, some plants dying.

Our only hope for rain is early next week when a front is supposed to come through, maybe it can pick up a bit of the moisture from the tropical system models are forming near LA/TX. Unfortunately that system will likely stay well west of here. This summer is one of the two or three worst since I moved here in 1982.

I think last summer was worse, or it seemed worse to me. The humidity seemed higher last summer and overnight lows seemed a bit warmer. Last year I had several mornings of lows 75+ but my warmest low this summer was 74. Having said that, this summer is still one of the worst summers I've ever experienced.

After yesterday's small rain event, I totaled up to 4.37" here for the month.  Much better than last year IIRC.Looking at the tropics, looks like the TD managed to wind up into TS Katia as of this morning.  Here are the current stats:

Wind: 45mph

Gust: 55mph

Direction: WNW 18mph

Pressure: 1003mb

Zack over at the OklahomaSkies site has been talking about a pattern change after Labor Day with a strong cold front bringing cooler weather (70's for highs) to the majority of the region east of the plain states and he mentions it could POSSIBLY break the back of the heat bubble over the S. Plains and make the extreme heat start to shrink a little faster. I know the LR has been showing some lower 70's for highs and sunny conditions...but I'm sure it will change some. HOPEFULLY we will indeed get a pattern changing front in here. It would be great!

Some other little sidenotes:

-Here in this area of SE Va, we saw 15" of rain from Irene..most of which surprisingly soaked in and didnt run off. The ground is extremely moist now.

-I've noticed a couple areas of foliage that seem to have started turning early. The most important thing about this is the change appears very natural and very healthy with no signs of drought stress. We will see how the situation evolves.

FIRST DAY OF MET FALL IS THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW! :thumbsup:

Zack over at the OklahomaSkies site has been talking about a pattern change after Labor Day with a strong cold front bringing cooler weather (70's for highs) to the majority of the region east of the plain states and he mentions it could POSSIBLY break the back of the heat bubble over the S. Plains and make the extreme heat start to shrink a little faster. I know the LR has been showing some lower 70's for highs and sunny conditions...but I'm sure it will change some. HOPEFULLY we will indeed get a pattern changing front in here. It would be great!

Some other little sidenotes:

-Here in this area of SE Va, we saw 15" of rain from Irene..most of which surprisingly soaked in and didnt run off. The ground is extremely moist now.

-I've noticed a couple areas of foliage that seem to have started turning early. The most important thing about this is the change appears very natural and very healthy with no signs of drought stress. We will see how the situation evolves.

FIRST DAY OF MET FALL IS THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW! :thumbsup:

Actually I saw in the tropical thread that there is a big trough forecast in the ~7 day time period for the EUS. Hopefully it will cool things off a decent bit.

Archived