• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
5.8 Earthquake Aug 23, 2011

Kmlwx

That's what a couple school resource officers thought when they called it in to dispatch

I work in the city, is assumed that was the case. Until I looked outside and watched construction workers running away from the edge of a building roof they were working on, thats when the second shake occurred, much stronger than the first.

Yes.

Usually the first waves are more mild and they give you a chance to duck and cover before the heavier stuff comes. Now, if you're right at the epicenter, you just get slammed all at once, and there's no difference-- whereas the further you are from the center, the more time there is between the P and S waves.

It also depends on the depth. This one is pretty shallow, so you get less waves and more rumble, in terms of how it feels. The wavey ones are brutal.

It also depends on the depth. This one is pretty shallow, so you get less waves and more rumble, in terms of how it feels. The wavey ones are brutal.

We might be talking about different things. P and S waves cause two different types of motion and are used to locate the earthquake's center: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_wave

Re: shallow quakes... The shallow ones tend to have a sharper, edgier feel, I've found.

The shallow ones tend to have a sharper, edgier feel, I've found.

this was pretty standard to me though it's been a while now since i've felt one that big. often you get a slower/nicer roll then a big shock after a bit. same thing here.

i hit the doorway right away.. many here seemed to think it might be a bomb or something (DC!). not too bad, tho the walls started making noise and i briefly imagined the building going down...

Here at work in Frederick, some pictures are now hanging crooked on the walls. At home, wife grabbed up the two-year old and ran outside, as did all the neighbors. She said she thought the ceiling was going to fall in.

No cell communication for about 20 minutes, though we were texting each other successfully.

this was pretty standard to me though it's been a while now since i've felt one that big. often you get a slower/nicer roll then a big shock after a bit. same thing here.

i hit the doorway right away.. many here seemed to think it might be a bomb or something (DC!). not too bad, tho the walls started making noise and i briefly imagined the building going down...

I've been in a bunch of quakes, and like weather events, each one is really unique-- feels completely different. The Northridge quake was extremely violent and very vertical-- you really felt things going up and down, in a fast, jerky motion. We had one a year or two ago that was mellow and horizontal-- like slipping on ice-- it just felt like everything was sliding. Each one is its own thing.