Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
5.8 Earthquake Aug 23, 2011

Kmlwx

Q: Is there earthquake weather?

There is no such thing as "earthquake weather". Statistically, there is approximately an equal distribution of earthquakes in cold weather, hot weather, rainy weather, etc. Very large low-pressure changes associated with major storm systems (typhoons, hurricanes, etc) are known to trigger episodes of fault slip (slow earthquakes) in the Earth’s crust and may also play a role in triggering some damaging earthquakes. However, the numbers are small and are not statistically significant.

FAQ's USGS Earthquake myths

:unsure:

Just out of curiosity, can someone explain how it felt? Was it more of a roll, and then more violent shaking? Just wondering.

Horizontal shaking back and forth at least most of it. Initially it was a bit like a rattle then shaking. Almost as if you were standing on a book that was being moved back and forth on a table.

5.8 is probably pushing some of the limits for building integrity. The newer ones are ok, but I would think anything larger than a 6.0 would be a real problem.

Wife and I went out for a walk with the dog earlier and saw quite a few chimneys that lost some bricks and/or mortar, and a few that will need a pretty good overhaul. I'd agree that it was pretty close to big enough to cause some real problems this close to the epicenter.

5.8 is probably pushing some of the limits for building integrity. The newer ones are ok, but I would think anything larger than a 6.0 would be a real problem.

It's been a long while but I've been through 6.7, 7.1, 7.3 on the upper limits.. none super close epicenter but not any further than this one. This was a solid quake.. taking it inside a building and seeing some of the aftermath I would not want to go higher. My condo is well built but I'm pretty sure it's unreinforced brick like many. You can only push that so far.

I felt pretty much all the waves I think. Started as a wobbly jellow like feeling followed by monitor swaying type of stuff and then finally a few seconds of surface wave activity which was more jolty. It's also pretty dependent on what floor of a building you're on (higher floors should feel more general swaying etc), soil type, etc.

Just out of curiosity, can someone explain how it felt? Was it more of a roll, and then more violent shaking? Just wondering.

I would describe it as a pitch and roll feeling. I was seated on a bench. I felt like it came from behind me and pushed me forward then a sensation of moving back, like I had my back to a wave in the ocean I guess. This happened several times in quick succession that got harder toward the end of the 25 seconds of quaking.