• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
5.8 Earthquake Aug 23, 2011

Kmlwx

Meh.....many federal agencies let folks leave early, some schools closed already closed for tomorrow, people are sending pics of over turned trash cans to local news stations, local news stations are cutting in with special coverage of the big quake, etc. etc. I wasn't trying to say that DC is not functional...it was more directed towards the response of the pansies that live in this area.

A once in 120 year event and your referring to people as pansies. Your a real tough guy.

I'm guessing Trafficageddon back in February (?) was a much bigger deal overall in terms of impact.

Yeah, most likely at least as far as traffic etc. Of course DC is kinda dead this time of year to begin with. That event was more us being pansies... ;)

I dont know, feeling a building shake under you and listeneing to the rattling and noise is a significant event , at least to me, Especially lasting as long as it did, and not knowing what the hell is going on. If you want to call me a pansy fine. It felt like the whole building was being moved. It was surreal, to say the least. We were lucky this time. Hope it doesn't happen again.

I dont know, feeling a building shake under you and listeneing to the rattling and noise is a significant event , at least to me, Especially lasting as long as it did, and not knowing what the hell is going on. If you want to call me a pansy fine. It felt like the whole building was being moved. It was surreal, to say the least. We were lucky this time. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Oh boy....I upset the masses. Sorry folks, didn't mean to upset ya'll. I'll go back to building my super ark now, which will be better than mapgirls ark.

Meh.....many federal agencies let folks leave early, some schools closed already closed for tomorrow, people are sending pics of over turned trash cans to local news stations, local news stations are cutting in with special coverage of the big quake, etc. etc. I wasn't trying to say that DC is not functional...it was more directed towards the response of the pansies that live in this area.

Agreed. There is zero need to take any precautions like checking structural integrity. This is America's capital, damnit. I'm sure the buildings and subway system were built strong enough. And I am appalled that the news is covering this event. Sure, we don't get quakes this size around here but one a millennium or so, but other places get them pretty regularly. They are such pansies for focusing on it. And anyone taking pictures of their trash cans to show the impact of a weather event is definitely a pansy. Glad there's no one like that around here.

I don't know if "lucky" is the right word. Seems about right damage wise for a 5.8 on this side of the country where there aren't earthquake building codes etc.

It just simply wasn't a super strong quake - just a strong one for this part of the country. Still unnerving yes but pretty cool as well.

Biggest facepalm moment so far...a met on WTOP radio saying that a 2.8 magnitude aftershock was "half as strong" as the 5.8 primary quake. :facepalm:

The Richter scale is LOGARITHMIC. A 2.8 is 1000 times weaker than a 5.8. :rolleyes:

Oh good lord. People who don't know what they are talking about should not be allowed to be broadcast scientists. Who was it? Somebody from WJLA I presume? Doesn't WTOP use WJLA mets?

Probably true....I'll be stuck with BB, MoD and zwyts. Fun group, huh?
I'll take zwyts off your hands for you. You can have the other two... At least you will have excellent weather obs and should an emergency come up... MoD will save you.

Still can't grasp where the potential that this was just a foreshock, but hey if the director of the USGS says it, then I guess I should think about. Could take up to one week if it was.

Every seismic event is possibly a foreshock. Did you read the part where she said it was a very low probability?

Still can't grasp where the potential that this was just a foreshock, but hey if the director of the USGS says it, then I guess I should think about. Could take up to one week if it was.

I suggest sheltering in place away from the computer