• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5.8 Earthquake Aug 23, 2011

Kmlwx

that's weird b/c the central tower is the bell tower and it's got something like 3 or 4 tons of bells in it. when all 12 are being rung, the whole tower sways (it's designed to do so and it's unnerving the first time you experience it (I used to be a change ringer)) so it's amazing if the quake's shaking has made it lean.

assuming that they're talking about the bell tower as "the central tower".

so many early reports are iffy in situations like this so hard to say. arent s waves more unnatural than a general swaying motion that might be normal there?

what do y'all think are the chances of the federal government being closed tomorrow since they closed today?

Same as us getting Cat 5 Irene to hit us. I dont see the need for it as early reports aren't indicating much if any structural damage to area buildings. No bridges seem affected either.

Same as us getting Cat 5 Irene to hit us. I dont see the need for it as early reports aren't indicating much if any structural damage to area buildings. No bridges seem affected either.

You say that now but we'll see what you say when the main earthquake hits and it's 99.5 magnitude. :devilsmiley:

good luck - it's carmageddon 2 out there. took me 1.5 hr. to get to upper NW from Georgetown.

definitely a different kind of shaking for sure, but when the bells are being taken up and down you have something more like a s wave than rhythmic rocking as they're all being done individually and not to a specific timing.

this has been a pretty scary event I have to say. I am looking forward to getting out of here. I had suggested that we have dinner in town after he gets here but oceanwx said he would prefer to get out of DC and farther away from the epicenter. he's been feeling the aftershocks out there on the rock ledge at home...

what do y'all think are the chances of the federal government being closed tomorrow since they closed today?

definitely a different kind of shaking for sure, but when the bells are being taken up and down you have something more like a s wave than rhythmic rocking as they're all being done individually and not to a specific timing.

this has been a pretty scary event I have to say. I am looking forward to getting out of here. I had suggested that we have dinner in town after he gets here but oceanwx said he would prefer to get out of DC and farther away from the epicenter. he's been feeling the aftershocks out there on the rock ledge at home...

i would imagine it would be open but who knows. maybe leave (forget the term) for those who need.

i didnt even think we could get a quake that large around here -- i mean i know pretty much anyone can in theory but still.

i do wonder if we'll get any sizeable aftershocks/etc. but since these are midplate events is there less of a risk? i must admit my e/q knowledge is much more rusty than when i was younger..

i would imagine it would be open but who knows. maybe leave (forget the term) for those who need.

i didnt even think we could get a quake that large around here -- i mean i know pretty much anyone can in theory but still.

i do wonder if we'll get any sizeable aftershocks/etc. but since these are midplate events is there less of a risk? i must admit my e/q knowledge is much more rusty than when i was younger..

There have been two aftershocks of 2.8 and 2.2 respectively. I would think that might be what it amounts to. Don't think we'll be seeing anything close to the initial like we see after large earthquakes in CA or other major parts of the world. You do have to wonder though if this built pressure up anywhere else. :P