• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
5.8 Earthquake Aug 23, 2011

Kmlwx

I see folks using the word "violent" a lot.

That's actually a semi-technical term with a specific meaning-- i.e., that the quake produced MM IX shaking or higher. Usually in violent shaking, you have kitchen cupboards and refrigerators flying open and emptying and buildings collapsing and things like that. I don't think this quake produced violent shaking.

Here's an entry about the MM scale: http://en.wikipedia....intensity_scale

Thanks for that link-- that's my favorite scale :) We need a scale like that for canes, too lol. It was a IV here based on that scale.

You're welcome.

Who was mocking anyone? Seriously, dude-- relax.

You guys had a significant event and I thought I'd share the stuff that we talk about in CA after quakes. No insult intended. Yikes.

it's predictable, is all. none of us were talking about the actual scale when saying violent.. you probably knew that.

Pictures fell over and slid off shelf on third level of townhouse, and tube TV was hanging off the edge of the tall dresser.

So much for pets sensing these things... Mine bolted for cover at the same time I did, lol.

And engineers heading to bridges :whistle: to check their integrity.

Pictures fell over and slid off shelf on third level of townhouse, and tube TV was hanging off the edge of the tall dresser.

So much for pets sensing these things... Mine bolted for cover at the same time I did, lol.

And engineers heading to bridges :whistle: to check their integrity.

My dog didn't even notice the earthquake. I have a smart dog, lol

Everyone else was interested to see the MM scale and put the event in perspective. For some reason, it's bothering you. Sorry. Don't look at it.

i just dont think you need to tell us how it felt is all... but im done, stupid argument.

I never want to feel that again. Seriously. Moderate, violent, I don't are what you want to call it, I'm not hung up on that. All I know is it scared the shot out of me as our entire office on the 10th floor shook. We hauled ass out of that building. Downtown us a mess (traffic wise). For this area, this was pretty big.

I never want to feel that again. Seriously. Moderate, violent, I don't are what you want to call it, I'm not hung up on that. All I know is it scared the shot out of me as our entire office on the 10th floor shook. We hauled ass out of that building. Downtown us a mess (traffic wise). For this area, this was pretty big.

earthquakes suck... i've never understood those who are like "they're fun". maybe afterwards but this one was a reminder how you never seem to know if they're going to go to that next level or not.

To be clear... It was a significant event for anywhere. When something that size happens in L.A. metro, it's a big deal and it causes a commotion.

I was in DCUSA at the time. It was incredible.

it's got a huge roof etc, but it's also really new. ppl were focusing on which buildings were new and old on my street at work but i dont think it matters that much with the codes here.

I have a geological newbie question–what would cause an earthquake to be felt in a residential building on one street (and not just "felt", but seriously shaken up), but not even a noticeable tremor on the next street? The obvious answer is that it has something to do with the underlying rock formations, but I'd like to know specifically if elevation, etc. has anything to do with it. FWIW I'm about 75 miles north of NYC.

w00t

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:39 PM

To: All Foreign Policy

Subject: Message regarding Earthquake

Dear Colleagues,

Because of the earthquake that hit this area two hours ago, the executive office has suggested that all staff be given the flexibility to go home as early as they choose. This is an option. Nobody is required to leave. You should be aware that traffic on the roads and metro is reported to be intense at the moment.

As a reminder, if the ground starts shaking again in an aftershock, the appropriate earthquake response protocol is to brace under a desk, in a corner, or in an interior doorway/space (i.e. away from glass), then evacuate immediately when the tremor ends. That means that if an aftershock hits, everyone is required to evacuate all Brookings properties as soon as it is over. When you leave the building please move promptly onto the sidewalk, away from the building.

Safe travels home,

it's got a huge roof etc, but it's also really new. ppl were focusing on which buildings were new and old on my street at work but i dont think it matters that much with the codes here.

Yah we were in the Target. Things were falling off the shelves. People immediately started running down the escalators.

No. nothing to that degree again for sure. I can't say I was as much scared as I was concerned. Not knowing how long it was going to last was my biggest fear.