Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What part of Huntington? I spent today in downtown Huntington and all was hunky-dory. That having been said, I didn't actually go down to the Harbor.

I think it was the lowest elevations in town. I was surprised to see it too-- I didn't think of Huntington as a town that gets surge flooding haha.

I'm looking it up now, on the newscast they just labeled it "Huntington" lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eardnV8Pl1k

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/weather/video/Hurricane_Irene_Flood_Huntington_New_York-128551438.html?rr=td

OK, OK... I got the picture. There was impact on Long Island. :D

Haha, sorry, I got carried away there :D

I'm disappointed like you are though, I wish it was an 85-90 mph hurricane, along the lines of 1821 and 1893. Now, THAT would have been historic! Gloria on that track and at astronomical high tide, as stated before, would have been devastating.

Hey Josh, where in Island Park were you? I tried driving down to Long Beach somewhere between 8 and 8:30am on Sunday morning, but couldn't make it because of the flooded roadways, so we stopped at the Peter's Clam Bar parking lot--right near the intersection of Long Beach Road and Austin Blvd.

Hey, how 's it going? Sorry I missed this post. It seems like we were in generally the same area-- so we probably just missed each other. :lol: We stopped by Pete's as well.

Texas Tech data is out. StickNet probes did a good job. Lowest pressure was measured at the 0109A probe just N of your location at Open Ground Farms - 951.6

http://www.atmo.ttu.edu/TTUHRT/Irene.htm

http://www.atmo.ttu.edu/TTUHRT/TTU_Irene_Deployment_Summary.pdf

I don't know how I missed this post-- thanks for this.

They really did a good deployment-- covered the landfall area pretty well. I'm a bit disappointed the highest sustained winds were 56 kt (near Beaufort) and 58 kt (on Hatteras Island)-- but two things about that: 1) the instruments were well below 10 m, so you have to correct for that, and 2) I think they would have sampled higher winds if they'd been close to my area (Marshallberg/Harker's Island) or a little NE of there (toward Atlantic and Cedar Island).

Here's the HRD wind swath-- which shows that winds of ~70 kt raked my location:

post-19-0-58762400-1315279707.png

thanks for all the effort in doing this Josh. Looking forward to seeing your post analysis.

Here is the NWS Raleigh preliminary wind gusts:

By the way-- thanks, Sean, for posting this awesome map earlier. I really appreciate it. :wub:

Folks, this is the peak-gust map, created by the NWS at Raleigh, using official surface obs.

• 1 month later...

Hey, folks--

I finally got around to cutting and editing the footage from my Irene chase. A few comments:

* Severe backside. The main thing you'll notice is that the cyclone's backside was much stronger than the front: the wind really shrieked after the lull-- in a way that it definitely didn't do on the front side. We were quite surprised by it.

* Large core. The cyclone's core and eye were quite large: the calm started around 7 am, and the wind didn't start picking up again until around 9 am-- and, amazingly, the peak backside winds occurred around 11 am-- a good two hours later! (You'll see all this in the footage.) This large, loose structure explains why this 952-mb 'cane was only sustaining winds of 75 kt.

* Two cameras. My camera died from water exposure just before the eye, so I shot the eye and backside using my friend's ancient still-shot camera-- and you'll notice the change in quality. But I figured lower-res video was better than none at all!

* Bonus NYC footage! At the end, I tacked on some footage from our second chase, in Brooklyn, NY, the following day. I caught some decent wave action on Belt Parkway.

Overall... It's not the most dramatic stuff I've ever shot-- but, hey, it captures the experience. (Hopefully I'll get somethin' spicier in Jova. :sun:) Enjoy!

Hey, folks--

I finally got around to cutting and editing the footage from my Irene chase. A few comments:

* Severe backside. The main thing you'll notice is that the cyclone's backside was much stronger than the front: the wind really shrieked after the lull-- in a way that it definitely didn't do on the front side. We were quite surprised by it.

* Large core. The cyclone's core and eye were quite large: the calm started around 7 am, and the wind didn't start picking up again until around 9 am-- and, amazingly, the peak backside winds occurred around 11 am-- a good two hours later! (You'll see all this in the footage.) This large, loose structure explains why this 952-mb 'cane was only sustaining winds of 75 kt.

* Two cameras. My camera died from water exposure just before the eye, so I shot the eye and backside using my friend's ancient still-shot camera-- and you'll notice the change in quality. But I figured lower-res video was better than none at all!

* Bonus NYC footage! At the end, I tacked on some footage from our second chase, in Brooklyn, NY, the following day. I caught some decent wave action on Belt Parkway.

Overall... It's not the most dramatic stuff I've ever shot-- but, hey, it captures the experience. (Hopefully I'll get somethin' spicier in Jova. :sun:) Enjoy!

Bendy Trees, Floody Things... wavy signs! Sweet!

Archived