• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Good Weather Station to buy?

Davis VP2 model number 6152 is the base model without a FARS for ~$140 more the VP2 model number 6153 has FARS. Both are available at the place you linked. Just to explain what the FARS does. It is a fan installed within the radiation shield that houses the tempature and humidity sensor. This fan draws fresh air up thru the unit thus reducing the the chance of stall air inside the sensor from become warmer and thus giving elevated tempature readings. It is not a neccessity but it will lead to slightly more accurate and precise readings of tempature and dewpoint. I also believe that the FARS can be bought and added on as an option at a later date. But I would confirm that with Davis directly or with one of there dealers. As far as the VP2 vs the VP2 plus. I would go with the VP2 and the FARS if you can. Again some of the additional sensors included on the VP2 Plus can be added on as options to the VP2 at a later date.

Okay thank you so much! You were really helpful!

Does the VP2 come with software to graph things on a computer? Also, what kind of camera should I get to mount on it?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the VP2 come with software to graph things on a computer? Also, what kind of camera should I get to mount on it?

Davis sells a software / datalogger for the Vantage Pro and Vantage View stations. Here is a link to Davis's page showing the various software and add-ons they sell. Most places that sell the stations will also sell the software. There are also third party softwares such as VWS (Virtual Weather Station) which also comes in several versions. I currently do not have any of these but have the Davis WeatherLinkIP and VWS for internet on order. The softwares may seem a little pricey at 125 to 250 dollars depending on the versions but with regards to the Davis versions this includes the all important data logger which stores long term info from the station for later use in the software.

http://www.davisnet....ts/software.asp

You can also check out the demo of Weather Display software. 30 day trial. A little scary

at the beginning, but there are a lot of things you can have it do for you. I ran VWS for about 5 years

with my faithful Weather Wizard III from Davis. I believe WD is still $70.00

As far as a cam, myself I have a couple Quick Cam Pro Notebook webcams. They have

come down in price. Just got my deer cam going with one from Ebay. $29.00 NIB.

Also, Weather Display has a great webcam program built in that creates all day and hourly movies.

Click on my links for examples if you'd like.

Enjoy! smile.gif

I always suggest people to go with the FARS. It gives you more accurate readings and faster response to temperature changes...whether day or night.

If you go without a FARS and decide to add it on at a later date...I believe it's a daytime-only FARS (which is better than nothing). I think it's better to pony up the extra few dollars upfront and get the FARS with the specially made radiation shield for the 24hr FARS.

The UV/solar sensors are pricey, but can be added on at a later date. They're really not needed unless you really want that information (in addition to better evapotranspiration data). I've made a few programs using my solar radiation data along with clear sky solar radiation estimate equations to determine cloud cover during the day at my station too, but that is obviously something more advanced.

I always suggest people to go with the FARS. It gives you more accurate readings and faster response to temperature changes...whether day or night.

If you go without a FARS and decide to add it on at a later date...I believe it's a daytime-only FARS (which is better than nothing). I think it's better to pony up the extra few dollars upfront and get the FARS with the specially made radiation shield for the 24hr FARS.

The UV/solar sensors are pricey, but can be added on at a later date. They're really not needed unless you really want that information (in addition to better evapotranspiration data). I've made a few programs using my solar radiation data along with clear sky solar radiation estimate equations to determine cloud cover during the day at my station too, but that is obviously something more advanced.

Do you just measure snowfall with a yardstick?

Do you just measure snowfall with a yardstick?

Pretty much...though I have one that is in tenths of an inch resolution rather than 16ths.

I measure it on a white-painted snowboard and then take a core sample with the outer cylinder of a Stratus type rain/snow gauge every 6 hours and then clear the board clean. For a storm total I add up the 6hrly amounts for snowfall and water equivalent. I'm not a huge fan of the rain gauge heaters due to turbulent effects over the gauge cone and some evaporation of the precip. This is the gauge I use for my core samples...

http://www.novalynx.com/260-2530-2531.html

I just measure the snow total, put the outer cylinder down through the snow to the snowboard, slip a large masonry knife underneath the cylinder opening so I can flip it, and then I bring it inside to melt the sample down. I measure out a certain amount of hot water from the tap into the inner cylinder (which has amounts in 0.01") and keep pouring it into the outer cylinder with the snow until all of the snow is melted. Then I pour that amount through the gauge funnel back into the inner cylinder and measure out the total amount of water and add up the amounts. Then you subtract out the amount of hot water you added to get the water equivalent of your sample.:snowman:

Thanks Tombo!:) One last question: What kind of camera do you have on your weather station? What one would you recommend?

well the camera isnt attatched to the weather station, nor did it come with it. I got that separately after i saw you could put a camera up on wunderground. To answer your question my camera is a panasonic BL-C140A

You can also check out the demo of Weather Display software. 30 day trial. A little scary

at the beginning, but there are a lot of things you can have it do for you. I ran VWS for about 5 years

with my faithful Weather Wizard III from Davis. I believe WD is still $70.00

As far as a cam, myself I have a couple Quick Cam Pro Notebook webcams. They have

come down in price. Just got my deer cam going with one from Ebay. $29.00 NIB.

Also, Weather Display has a great webcam program built in that creates all day and hourly movies.

Click on my links for examples if you'd like.

Enjoy! smile.gif

Is there anyway to use those logitech/microsoft hd notebook cams they have now?

Pretty much...though I have one that is in tenths of an inch resolution rather than 16ths.

I measure it on a white-painted snowboard and then take a core sample with the outer cylinder of a Stratus type rain/snow gauge every 6 hours and then clear the board clean. For a storm total I add up the 6hrly amounts for snowfall and water equivalent. I'm not a huge fan of the rain gauge heaters due to turbulent effects over the gauge cone and some evaporation of the precip. This is the gauge I use for my core samples...

http://www.novalynx....-2530-2531.html

I just measure the snow total, put the outer cylinder down through the snow to the snowboard, slip a large masonry knife underneath the cylinder opening so I can flip it, and then I bring it inside to melt the sample down. I measure out a certain amount of hot water from the tap into the inner cylinder (which has amounts in 0.01") and keep pouring it into the outer cylinder with the snow until all of the snow is melted. Then I pour that amount through the gauge funnel back into the inner cylinder and measure out the total amount of water and add up the amounts. Then you subtract out the amount of hot water you added to get the water equivalent of your sample.:snowman:

That is by far the most accurate method to get the liquid equivelant of snow but since I can not always be around to do the 6 hour core samples I do find the heated rain gauge a nice alternative. Sure it will not be as precise as the method you have described but it will be pretty close in a science that is not 100% precise anyways. I also have a "snow stick" for taking my snow measurements. Mine is also in increments of 1/10 of an inch which is the official way measurements are reported. Mine is 3 feet long so I can handle quite a bit of snow! lol

So, I am almost ready to order everything. I am going to order the VP2 with FARS weather station, the WeatherLink software and then a camera to mount on the weather station. What is a good quality camera that I can mount on my weather station? Also, am I missing anything else that I should buy?

So, I am almost ready to order everything. I am going to order the VP2 with FARS weather station, the WeatherLink software and then a camera to mount on the weather station. What is a good quality camera that I can mount on my weather station? Also, am I missing anything else that I should buy?

This thread has inspired me to take the plunge and buy a weather station. I have been debating it for months now (more because I don't know if I have the greatest spot to put it for wind measurement) but I figured I would just accept the inaccurate wind readings and just do it anyway.

I

went for:

6163 Davis 6163 Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with Aspirated Radiation Shield

7716 7716 Davis Tripod

6520 6520 Davis WeatherLink Mac Computer Interface

I hope the Mac software works out ok..

I ordered from Scientific Sales

Hopefully it will all work out..

Let me put it this way, yes! (or if you really can't afford it get the vue)

Any other "professional" grade station like lacrosse or oregon scientific are wastes of money. If you had just wanted a temp sensor or something that would be one thing but if you want a real station with accurate results the davis is the only way to go.

All you need to decide is how many of the extra sensors and stuff you want with it.

There is nothing wrong with Oregon Scientific. I've had one for several years (3 or 4) and it does just fine. It's readings are pretty much on a par with the others on Wunderground. I just didn't have double the money to spend at the time. It's a great hobby station.

Could someone please answer my two questions from earlier so I can order my stuff? Lol!

There is nothing wrong with Oregon Scientific. I've had one for several years (3 or 4) and it does just fine. It's readings are pretty much on a par with the others on Wunderground. I just didn't have double the money to spend at the time. It's a great hobby station.

I had one it had a broken dew point sensor and the winds were highly inaccurate on the low side so they replaced it and the dew point was better but not perfect. However the wind was just as bad. How do I know? Well its unobstructed on a pole on my two story roof and its never recorded a gust over about 35mph in the 3 years I have had it when we routinely gust in the 40-60mph range every year. All the stations around me depict this. So if you want accurate readings its not the station to go with.

Could someone please answer my two questions from earlier so I can order my stuff? Lol!

Do you want to mount the camera with your station or maybe inside through a window?

Looks like you've got what you need. Will you be publishing your data to the net?

Do you want to mount the camera with your station or maybe inside through a window?

Looks like you've got what you need. Will you be publishing your data to the net?

I would probably mount a camera to my weather station and yes I will be publishing my data to the net. (That way when I am away from home I can check my weather station data).

I would probably mount a camera to my weather station and yes I will be publishing my data to the net. (That way when I am away from home I can check my weather station data).

You'll either need an IP camera, or a Cat 5 over USB for the camera

I'm a fan of Weather Display software. http://www.weather-display.com

Great for publishing your data and webcam software built in. Great bunch of software

gurus too who can help you do just about anything you'd like on their forums also.

You'll either need an IP camera, or a Cat 5 over USB for the camera

I'm a fan of Weather Display software. http://www.weather-display.com

Great for publishing your data and webcam software built in. Great bunch of software

gurus too who can help you do just about anything you'd like on their forums also.

What camera do you use?

I'm looking for a wall barometer, any suggestions?

I got this one last year for my birthday. Pricy yes but it does not look cheap like a cheap one will and thus far it is quite accurate though does tend to lag slightly behind the Davis VP2 during systems creating big and quick changes in pressure. Most important to me is it is very aesthetically pleasing.

http://www.robertwhite.com/cgi-local/shop.pl?type=item&item=banjo-barigo376&categ=rw_barometers&nav_bar=weather

What is the difference between those two? Why does that one cost less?

Also Tombo, how do you like your camera? You have it mounted on your weather station right?

there is no difference between the products. Its like going to shop at target and walmart. One of the stores is going to have a better price, but its the same product. Np, i dont have it mounted on my weather station. Its mounted on my roof. My camera is good, a lot of the cameras out there are indoor cameras, this one is outdoor and pretty cheap.

Archived