• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter in Georgia

Ricky

I have been doing some research on the upcoming 2011-2012 winter. I have read several weather forecast for the winter in Georgia and most of what I've read is saying Very below normal temperatures and Above normal precipitation. Personally, I hope it is true because I love Cold and Snowy weather during winter. I would like to get some opinions on what other people have read about the winter of 2011-2012.

Welcome!

Topping the last two winters is one heck of a task. I was around 10" last year and I think 6" or so the year before, way above normal. All it takes around here is one good storm to throw snow totals way over normal. Where have you been researching for this upcoming winter? I have heard some forecasts of a cold winter for the East and Mid-west but have yet to hear many precipitation forecasts. Welcome to the board and enjoy your stay! You will find the mets in the southeast area who post on this board to be very friendly and very good at forecasting!

Welcome Ricky!

Indeed it is quite complicated for those in the south to see multiple good Winters. I think that because such an anomaly hasnt happened in recent history most people in the South have it set in their mind that it never happens. When, in actuality, it has happened....many moons ago. haha. Now granted, I live in VA so I usually fair better than most people in this thread simply due to my location. But you never know....I will say Ive seen videos of it snow in GA, and to me, snow in GA is so beautiful compared to snow here! :) I guess because it is so unique for that area.

I think that because the past two winters have been relatively outstanding in the South, many are expecting totally atypical Nina climo to set up this Winter. In all honestly, I'd advise against that. I'm not saying it will snow. Im not saying it will be cold. But if one does their research and takes a close look at how the atmosphere is evolving, things seem to be aligning in the favour of those east of the rockies.

I will say the one place in the south I dont think will have that great of a Winter is the Southern plains and SW. I expect the ridge to shrink and leave many places but I feel it will hang around some there.

Anyway, welcome again and enjoy the forums!

I have been doing some research on the upcoming 2011-2012 winter. I have read several weather forecast for the winter in Georgia and most of what I've read is saying Very below normal temperatures and Above normal precipitation. Personally, I hope it is true because I love Cold and Snowy weather during winter. I would like to get some opinions on what other people have read about the winter of 2011-2012.

Welcome to the board! We have some great members in GA and in SE. And let us know what part of GA you are in?

Looks like we're going to have neutral or weak Nina conditions this winter, with regard to ENSO. This early on we don't have much to look at yet, and as we saw with last winter even a normally unfavorable ENSO state doesn't guarantee a crappy winter. Personally I would first lower my expectations to realistic levels-the past few winters have given some in the south some unrealistic ones! Then, as we move closer to winter, watch for the long range winter forecasts to start popping up on the main forums. And in this forum, too.

Welcome Ricky! If you are in North Georgia my prelim winter forecast is colder than normal with near normal precip. I have not looked at the rest of Georgia, but I'm right next door to the north. I believe temps will be variable with La Nina offering mild interludes. However the -AO/NAO and low solar activity bode for colder than normal overall in spite of La Nina. The QBO, another index, should also be negative which is a cold signal. Cheers!

:ski:

welcome! as several others mentioned, we had a surprising 2 back to back great winters. so i have a hard time thinking this will be our third in a row lol

at this rate and as long and hot as this summer has been, it seems like winter will never get here :snowman:

Welcome, Ricky! Where are you in GA?

I am far from a long-range forecaster but it is hard for me to imagine a much better winter than what we had last year. My seasonal total was around 13" of snow and a couple of small ice events. That's a lot to measure up against in this part of the world.

I am 50 miles west of Atlanta and 2 miles south of Bremen in Carroll County. I just love the Cold weather of Winter. I will never forget the Blizzard of March 1993. We had 18" of snow on level ground and 5 & 6 foot Snow Drifts. Now that was Truely a winter to remember!!!

I am 50 miles west of Atlanta and 2 miles south of Bremen in Carroll County. I just love the Cold weather of Winter. I will never forget the Blizzard of March 1993. We had 18" of snow on level ground and 5 & 6 foot Snow Drifts. Now that was Truely a winter to remember!!!

I'm not far from you then, I'm 10 miles south of Bremen in Carroll County.

Welcome fellow Georgian! Always nice to see GA folks here. I'm way up north of you here in the NE GA mountains. I agree with others its hard to beat last year with our 2" on Christmas, 9" on January 10th and a few other small ones (and very little ice :) ). Really hoping for a cold winter cause I am sick and tired of the heat (and I love snow). And from everything I've read this winter looks to be colder than normal but as always that would change. Here's to a ton of snow yet again!

HI.

Are there any other members on here in South Georgia?

I was born in South Georgia (Mitchell County) and my parents live in Thomasville. I guess I count as a South Georgia poster for about 2 weeks every year whe I go down to visit. BTW, I love the state park golf course just outside Waycross, Tha Lakes at Laura Walker.

I'm in Perry which I consider to be central Georgia. My family from Rome (GA) would disagree and claim that once you get below Macon, you're in south Georgia! Anyway, we've had some winter weather episodes the past three winters which is about as good as you can hope for in this part of the state. The 2010 snow only produced about 2" but featured some of the largest snowflakes I've ever seen. Last year's IP/ZR event perhaps was better. Even though we didn't have a lot of accumulation (about 1.5"), it was much more fun to sled on and it actually stuck around longer. We had some IP in the valleys of our roof for about 7 days!

I hope we can make it four winters in a row this year!

Archived