• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Alaska/Western Canada obs and discussion

patrick7032

If you get any flakes, post some pictures for those of us further south.

Aside from MTBLANC will also do the same with regard to your request....we start to get trace snowfall amounts in about 2 weeks. Usually at night though or mixed during the day throughout the winter as even in January our avg. temp. is 38 for a daily max.

Thanks Baro....but you get proficient in high wind launches very quickly out here....I don't even get excited now unless above 65mph....can't wait to launch in 80+ mph.

Those high wind launches are always your best stories, and the ones you'll remember. Though I can honestly say I never had the pleasure of even approaching 65 mph.

Those high wind launches are always your best stories, and the ones you'll remember. Though I can honestly say I never had the pleasure of even approaching 65 mph.

Oh I already have all sorts of stories. Best launch yet was a balloon that got caught in the downstream eddy of the UA building and essentially knocked straight into the ground 2-3 times (including one full revolution). The sonde was slammed into the ground, but the flight was still successful.

Oh I already have all sorts of stories. Best launch yet was a balloon that got caught in the downstream eddy of the UA building and essentially knocked straight into the ground 2-3 times (including one full revolution). The sonde was slammed into the ground, but the flight was still successful.

The best one I seen was when Teammobeu trained me...we were launching around 55 mph. The sonde smacked the ground twice....then one of our little tracking buildings....and in all three occasions it was like watching someone come flying off the top ropes on WWE....thing had no tone...thought it was dead....and when we got back to the office it was transmitting. I smacked one off the ground 2 weeks ago...winds were only 7kt so I used the appropriate length of string...then right as I released we gusted over 20....figures....successful flight up to about 8mb....but for me....BRING ON THOSE 920mb lows with 100mph....:)

Aside from MTBLANC will also do the same with regard to your request....we start to get trace snowfall amounts in about 2 weeks. Usually at night though or mixed during the day throughout the winter as even in January our avg. temp. is 38 for a daily max.

I will post for sure.

It will not be right now because it is too mild, but by the end of the week we could get the first ones.

For now, 9.3C still windy but dry !

We got our first real termination dust on the front range the other night. The closest peaks to Anchorage didn't get much, they are only around 4000-4500 ft, but directly behind there are some 5000-5500 peaks which did get hit. Freezing level on today's 12Z sounding was 5200ft. Winter is coming.

post-1451-0-09474000-1316622425.jpg

The best one I seen was when Teammobeu trained me...we were launching around 55 mph. The sonde smacked the ground twice....then one of our little tracking buildings....and in all three occasions it was like watching someone come flying off the top ropes on WWE....thing had no tone...thought it was dead....and when we got back to the office it was transmitting. I smacked one off the ground 2 weeks ago...winds were only 7kt so I used the appropriate length of string...then right as I released we gusted over 20....figures....successful flight up to about 8mb....but for me....BRING ON THOSE 920mb lows with 100mph....:)

I think my best involved a strong clipper. We got about a quarter inch of solid glaze ice and winds were sustained 35 gusting to 45/50 mph behind the system for the evening launch. Now our UA building has doors that face north and south, so a westerly wind is basically pick your poison for which door to attempt to run out. I set the sonde up outside in an easy position for my free hand to grab it, because I know the balloon is going to catch the wind right away. This is something I had done many times before. So I come out the door and now the balloon grabs the wind and I'm being dragged down the ice with absolutely no traction to stop. I slide right past the sonde and end up crawling on my hands and knees to get back to it. After all that effort the balloon still got caught in an eddy and the sonde ended up bouncing.

I mean that balloon is never going to lift you off the ground, but without traction is will take you for a ride. I can only imagine how it reacts once you're over hurricane force.

Very impressive bomb about to go off in the GOA near the BC coast. Incredible jet streak, but the very impressive part is both the rapid intensification and extreme low level baro zone. Even more impressive is the rather unimpressive PV. This is being driven nearly solely by a highly divergent jet maxima aloft.

Straight unidirectional 90 knot low level winds and progged nearly dry adiabatic lapse rates. Going to be some possible 100 MPH wind gusts.

post-999-0-67510100-1316638310.gif

post-999-0-35747000-1316638315.gif

post-999-0-27103700-1316638318.png

post-999-0-78369400-1316638319.gif

post-999-0-86548100-1316638322.gif

post-999-0-45169900-1316638536.png

Good morning everybody,

6.1C this morning, wind blowing from south east, it is mostly cloudy.

Temperatures ranging from +1 to +8 in the territory, it is still mild for the season.

The change will occur tomorrow with rain and highs getting colder. No more than 10C for upcoming days.

Here is an update for this winter, like it :rolleyes::

usT2mSea.gif

I have also added a link to statistics for the Environment Canada official weather station for Whitehorse: Meteowhitehorse, click on Arctic Climate Data on the left menu and then Whitehorse Data.

That's it for now,

Ciao :pimp:

It is well known that models struggle with rapid cyclogenesis events. The model guidance performance with the developing system has been erratic with the depth/placement/timing of the system approaching the AK Panhandle. Even this morning as the low is taking shape, and the models seem to have converged on a solution. Looking at the satellite can give us hints on how the models are actually doing.

Looking at the IR at 15Z today with the nam12 mlsp overlaid it appears to me as if the surface low is too far south and should be 3 degrees or so further north and maybe a little east. With a developing/mature cyclone the surface low is located to the east of the 'cusp' (the dry intrusion) in the satellite imagery.

post-1451-0-70426800-1316710188.png

I think my best involved a strong clipper. We got about a quarter inch of solid glaze ice and winds were sustained 35 gusting to 45/50 mph behind the system for the evening launch. Now our UA building has doors that face north and south, so a westerly wind is basically pick your poison for which door to attempt to run out. I set the sonde up outside in an easy position for my free hand to grab it, because I know the balloon is going to catch the wind right away. This is something I had done many times before. So I come out the door and now the balloon grabs the wind and I'm being dragged down the ice with absolutely no traction to stop. I slide right past the sonde and end up crawling on my hands and knees to get back to it. After all that effort the balloon still got caught in an eddy and the sonde ended up bouncing.

I mean that balloon is never going to lift you off the ground, but without traction is will take you for a ride. I can only imagine how it reacts once you're over hurricane force.

ROFL....have heard of similar stories (- the ice) here....good think I'm built like a linebacker....to drag me she'll have to be blowing 120+....lol....:)

It is well known that models struggle with rapid cyclogenesis events. The model guidance performance with the developing system has been erratic with the depth/placement/timing of the system approaching the AK Panhandle. Even this morning as the low is taking shape, and the models seem to have converged on a solution. Looking at the satellite can give us hints on how the models are actually doing.

Looking at the IR at 15Z today with the nam12 mlsp overlaid it appears to me as if the surface low is too far south and should be 3 degrees or so further north and maybe a little east. With a developing/mature cyclone the surface low is located to the east of the 'cusp' (the dry intrusion) in the satellite imagery.

post-1451-0-70426800-1316710188.png

I agree....spot on....if you loop the IR sat you can clearly see the remnant circulation about 50NM SE of Cape Newenham.

We got our first real termination dust on the front range the other night. The closest peaks to Anchorage didn't get much, they are only around 4000-4500 ft, but directly behind there are some 5000-5500 peaks which did get hit. Freezing level on today's 12Z sounding was 5200ft. Winter is coming.

post-1451-0-09474000-1316622425.jpg

To "echo" your point...we've been running 2800 feet MSL on our FRZ heights last 4 launches.

The persistent troughing over the Aleutian chain is showing it's effects....snow levels have dropped over the last couple days from ~4800 feet to ~1000 feet. Will post pics later of Frosty Mountain which looks like it may even be under the 1000' level. Also unless we hit 47 sometime today we will have tied a record low max of 46 going back to 1970 I think.

Hello everybody,

-0.6C actually, low of -2C this night.

It is now overcast, risk of (wet) snow and rain this morning.

Temperatures ranging from -3 et +6 in the territory.

It should be better the following days with a mainly sunny weather, but cooler temperatures: frost in the morning, no more then 10C for the highs.

Ciao for now !

Hello everybody,

here are three pictures I took yesterday in the Fish Lake area (I did a hike, snow, ice and mud on the trails above 1200m):

110925-FL1.png

110925-FL2.png

110925-FL3.png

Low of -3.7C, but it may be lower, forecast high of around 8C with sunny conditions.

At 5:00 am, temperatures ranging from -9C in Burwash (perhaps -10 before sunrise) to +4C.

Have a great day flowers.gif!