Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Alaska/Western Canada obs and discussion

patrick7032

For sure,

Here is first a link to some videos I did (the quality and the weather are not the best ...): videos.

I also have a lot of pictures.

First of all the place where the station is located, 20 kms north of the Whitehorse airport:

20110710-HiddenValley.jpg

In winter (2010-11) by -35C, downtown Whitehorse:

110114-yno-1.jpg

January 14, 2011 at home:

110114-thermo1.jpg

I will post some other pictures in upcoming days :thumbsup:.

Good morning everybody,

Low of 6.4C, we have now 7.9C. The weather should me mainly sunny today with a high of 16C and wind blowing from south.

Here, it is a picture of my webcam (North view):

webcammeteowhitehorse.jpg.

Here are some other pictures of this summer in Yukon.

Kusawa Lake, between Whitehorse & Haines Junction:

110807-KL-Eagle.jpg

110807-KL-Bear1.jpg

Sunset in Hidden Valley:

110809-ss2.jpg

Fish Lake, 20 kms from Whitehorse:

110711-fl1.jpg

110711-fl2.jpg

That's it for now :rolleyes:!

Have a great day !

Thank you !

For sure I will try to post and keep this topic alive with other members.

For today, temperatures of 6.4/15.3, it was mostly cloudy this afternoon: we took this opportunity to go running, cut some trees and start to prepare the house for the winter.

Now it is overcast with showers for tonight and tomorrow.

No more than 11/13C for tomorrow.

Have a great evening !

Good morning,

The temperature was incredibly stable this night in a range 6.6/6.8C, we have now 6.8C.

Around the territory we have between 1C in Dawson and 8C in Old Crow (map here).

The weather should be cool with showers today, no more than 15C.

For the upcoming week, it will still be wet, and even cooler.

Summer is definitely over :thumbsdown: !

Good morning,

The temperature was incredibly stable this night in a range 6.6/6.8C, we have now 6.8C.

Around the territory we have between 1C in Dawson and 8C in Old Crow (map here).

The weather should be cool with showers today, no more than 15C.

For the upcoming week, it will still be wet, and even cooler.

Summer is definitely over :thumbsdown: !

Approximately how much daylight are you losing per day? Here in the Chicago suburbs at 42N latitude, we're losing about 2 or 2.5 minutes per day. I can even notice that, but that's nothing compared to your daylight loss this time of year.

Approximately how much daylight are you losing per day? Here in the Chicago suburbs at 42N latitude, we're losing about 2 or 2.5 minutes per day. I can even notice that, but that's nothing compared to your daylight loss this time of year.

We are loosing 5 minutes per day, soon 6, almost 1/2 hour every six days.

In Dawson or Inuvik, it is worse for sure !

Good morning everybody,

+4C this morning with a partly cloudy sky.

It should be sunny and pretty mild with a high of 17/18C.

In the territory, we have at 5:00between -3 at Burwash and +7 in Watson lake, with -1 in Carmacks, 0 in Haines Junction, 1 in Dawson, 3 at Whitehorse's airport.

For upcoming days, the weather will turn down to rainy conditions with highs around 11/12/C.

Have a great day acute.gif!

Hi everybody,

4/18.7 and 0.6 mm of rain.

After a short shower this morning around 6:00, and a magic :wub: sunrise with red colored clouds, the day was mainly sunny. I really enjoyed !

Now, there is a risk of shower, but it is not bad enough to prevent me from walking the dogs !

Tomorrow morning, we may have our third frost if the wind is calm during the night.

From Wednesday night to the end of this week, weather should be cool with distant precipitations. The like summer break was too short.

To finish my post, I saw two foxes at different places in downtown Whitehorse, they were crossing the streets with people and cars moving around ! Funny...

Good morning everybody,

Third frost today, we have -0.6C @ 5:30 with a perfectly clear sky.

In the rest of the territory, we have temperatures between -3C in Burwash and +4 in the Arctic area and at Whitehorse's Airport (which is 20 kms south from here).

It freezes in Carmacks, -1, and Haines Junction, 0.

The weather should be beautiful today, tomorrow and Friday would however be rainy and cool again.

Have a great day :pimp: !

Something you don't see every day. At first I thought it was erroneous but it was present for 4 or 5 out of 6 frames in the loop. What I'm talking about is the lightning strikes. In the Yukon of Canada okay no big deal it happens. But strikes near Barrow, Alaska over the Arctic Ocean....that was surprising and there was a system up there I believe but still HIGHLY UNUSUAL.

Had a visitor in Anchorage for a week, playing catchup here in the thread.

That is some unusual lightning Patrick good catch.

Great pictures MTBLANC keep it up. Your -35 picture reminded me of my Grand Forks, ND days. Coldest I felt was -38F.

We certainly are entering a very active pattern here in southern Alaska. Wave after wave for the considerable future, with a couple of decent surface lows entering the Gulf.

Already received .27 inches this morning.

On a side note, the King Salmon NEXRAD PAKC has been out of service for quite a while and needs major repairs. Apparently now it is a funding issue and may not be fixed until next fiscal year.....

NNIIICCCEEE....another reason why we should have an 88D here in Cold Bay....GRANTED population of 60 wouldn't justify it....but seeing we have a10,450+ foot runway that serves as a test strip for most commercial aircraft manufacturing companies like Boeing....the primary hub for the chain....an emergency landing location for ANC and trans-oceanic Pacific flights....not to mention the marine waters in my area serves as most of the Salmon and Crab Fishing grounds which is probably Alaska's 3rd of 4th biggest industry....it would be a good "heads up" for what is coming through based on radar and VAD winds....but oh well....what can ya do....budget issue.

That is some unusual lightning Patrick good catch.

Great pictures MTBLANC keep it up. Your -35 picture reminded me of my Grand Forks, ND days. Coldest I felt was -38F.

We certainly are entering a very active pattern here in southern Alaska. Wave after wave for the considerable future, with a couple of decent surface lows entering the Gulf.

Yes Patrick, did not know we could have this at this place.

NIUmetGF, -45C for the picture :thumbsup:!

About the waves, here in Yukon you are quite protected from very bad weather of the Gulf. It however keeps our weather cloudy and windy here in Whitehorse :thumbsdown:!

Today was a sunny day, but clouds are winning the fight and we will soon get back to cool and wet conditions.

Today's temperature of -1.5/+16.6.

Tomorrow I will do a small summary of August 2011's conditions.

That's it for now !

Good morning,

We have 5.4C this morning, it is overcast, ome showers at the airport.

About the forecast, showers and cooler temperatures for today and part of the upcoming long weekend.

On the territory, temperatures are milder at 5:00, generally between 5 and 7C. Down to -2C in the Arctic area.

As promised, here is a summary of August (2011/2010/Airport 2011, missing data/71-00 Normals at the airport):

Tnm: 4.9 / 6.2 / 6.4 * / 6.3

Txm: 16.0 / 20.4 / 15.5 * / 18.5

Tmm: 10.4 / 13.7 / 11.0 */ 12.5

Tnn: -1.8 / -1.4 / 0.9

Txx: 21.1 / 30.5 /

Precip: 56 / 32 / 58 * / 39

Number days: 17 / 9 / nd * / 13

As you can notice we are 3C below on the highs, while lows are around the normals. We only got one day > 20C while last year we got 31C ! The deficit is 1.5C for August.

We can also see that precipitation is about 20% above the normals.

The general feeling up here is that the summer was dismal.

Here are the normals for September:

Tnm: 2.0

Txm: 12.2

Tmm: 7.1

Record:

Tx: 26.7

Tn: -19.4

Number of days with frost: 10

Tx> 20C: 1

Precip: 34 mm

Days: 12

days with snowfall: 2 (1 with snow on the ground)

That's for now, have a good day flowers.gif

For the Anchorage area people tell me that this was a really good summer. I've only been here since mid-March. I think we've hit 70F (21C about) only a handful of times and not much over. Feels pretty good though.

Good morning,

We have 5.4C this morning, it is overcast, ome showers at the airport.

About the forecast, showers and cooler temperatures for today and part of the upcoming long weekend.

On the territory, temperatures are milder at 5:00, generally between 5 and 7C. Down to -2C in the Arctic area.

As promised, here is a summary of August (2011/2010/Airport 2011, missing data/71-00 Normals at the airport):

Tnm: 4.9 / 6.2 / 6.4 * / 6.3

Txm: 16.0 / 20.4 / 15.5 * / 18.5

Tmm: 10.4 / 13.7 / 11.0 */ 12.5

Tnn: -1.8 / -1.4 / 0.9

Txx: 21.1 / 30.5 /

Precip: 56 / 32 / 58 * / 39

Number days: 17 / 9 / nd * / 13

As you can notice we are 3C below on the highs, while lows are around the normals. We only got one day > 20C while last year we got 31C ! The deficit is 1.5C for August.

We can also see that precipitation is about 20% above the normals.

The general feeling up here is that the summer was dismal.

Here are the normals for September:

Tnm: 2.0

Txm: 12.2

Tmm: 7.1

Record:

Tx: 26.7

Tn: -19.4

Number of days with frost: 10

Tx> 20C: 1

Precip: 34 mm

Days: 12

days with snowfall: 2 (1 with snow on the ground)

That's for now, have a good day flowers.gif

First round of an interesting active pattern coming up today. Pardon the crude drawings.

Northern Pacific shortwave going to phase with the southeastward moving Bering Sea trough and deepen as the warm moist air wraps under the cold core. Sensible weather effects here in South-central Alaska most notably will be the increased precipitation with onshore flow in coastal regions and a strong barrier jet as the flow is blocked by the Chugach Range. This will increase the surface ridging as the surface low moves into the northern Gulf to die. The stable WAA regime prevents the flow from moving over the terrain and turns it westward. In winter these events are exacerbated by cold air in the interior which will flow out of the mountain gaps.

post-1451-0-00136600-1314900246.png

Good evening,

5.3/14.9 with 1 mm rainfall due to showers this morning.

We have now 8.6C and the sky is clear.

I think we nay get frost tomorrow morning even if EC and Wxsim both forecast around +2/+3. -3C is reachable to my point of view.

EC released its forecast for this fall and beginning of winter. Cool good.gif ?

sfe1t_s.gif

s234fe1t_s.gif

That's it for now flowers.gif

Good evening,

It was a cool and cloudy day, with rain showers in the afternoon.

We got -1.4/+12.3 today, which is far below the normals of 4/15.

Here are two pictures I took this afternoon in the area:

110902-vr1.jpg

110902-vr2.jpg

By the middle of next week, colours should be at the best, I would really like to have dry and beautiful days to take some pictures.

That's it for now, ciao flowers.gif