Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Yitterbaum as a decent poster that had conservative reporting and updates from the Youngstown area.

Yea he was a pretty str8 up guy, not a wild eyed wishcaster. Seems like we have two camps on this storm, the Killjoys and the Weenies. I am firmly in the weenie camp and have the data on my side this time out. If we got just 3" I would be shocked, the bands over Indiana and Western Ohio look beefy. I just don't see how 6-12 hours of moderate snowfall at 15:1 ratio adds up to 3". I could be wrong but I see the radar and I feel pretty confident in my 6" for my house in the South Hills

Yea he was a pretty str8 up guy, not a wild eyed wishcaster. Seems like we have two camps on this storm, the Killjoys and the Weenies. I am firmly in the weenie camp and have the data on my side this time out. If we got just 3" I would be shocked, the bands over Indiana and Western Ohio look beefy. I just don't see how 6-12 hours of moderate snowfall at 15:1 ratio adds up to 3". I could be wrong but I see the radar and I feel pretty confident in my 6" for my house in the South Hills

The problem is that the band of snow that is going to hit us is rather narrow...yeah, it might snow moderately, but I only see that happening for 3-4 hours before we get dry slotted....I could see 2 inches during that initial burst...it all depends if the dryslot can fill in, and I can tell you, after watching storms here for years, and hoping that the dryslot fills in, I never count on it happening.

I guess I am a Killjoy lol. It all looks good now but once the low off of the coast begins to steal the energy it will be hard for the moderate snowfall to last more than 6 hours imo. Also with the energy transfer, I believe it hurts the ratio as well (especially areas that really see the dryslot).

The bands do look great in Western Ohio/Indiana with those areas reporting over 2" up to 4" total in their storm reports during past hour or two. I am in the 3-5" camp for Pittsburgh area (more towards 3-4" end).

The problem is that the band of snow that is going to hit us is rather narrow...yeah, it might snow moderately, but I only see that happening for 3-4 hours before we get dry slotted....I could see 2 inches during that initial burst...it all depends if the dryslot can fill in, and I can tell you, after watching storms here for years, and hoping that the dryslot fills in, I never count on it happening.

Meh...still looking at the radar, and still seeing us getting dry slotted pretty hard....actually, we might not really get into any good banding....it you are east of the city you are in big trouble with the first wave.

NM, it looks a lot better than I thought....I think the Charleston, WV radar went down for a bit.

I agree with you. We may get 12 hours of snow but I can see us getting only getting about 2 hours of moderate snow and the rest light snow where we will pick up 1/4 inch per hour.

Archived