• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

Just finished my drive from Albany to Buffalo. Overall it was uneventfull. There were some patches of moderate snow. The deepest snowpack along my journey was just to the west of Syracuse where it looked like there was about 10" on the ground...by Rochester it was back down to just 2-3" and then it looked like almost a foot near the Buffalo airport.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EC now calling for 2-3" overnight here in Ottawa. Things are suddenly looking a lot better. :thumbsup:

who knows just how far the extent of the precip waffles back.....models have been going back and forth, but a good sign is that its coming down here in montreal, meanig the core of the retrograde has stayed intact pretty well so far...EC has bumped up to 6 inches here now :lol: and its coming down.

tough call, this is one of those see how much you get situations when its all said and done.....hopefully ottawa get something decent out of this if the storm gets back far enough, quick enough before falling apart....

Just finished my drive from Albany to Buffalo. Overall it was uneventfull. There were some patches of moderate snow. The deepest snowpack along my journey was just to the west of Syracuse where it looked like there was about 10" on the ground...by Rochester it was back down to just 2-3" and then it looked like almost a foot near the Buffalo airport.

Well, I'm not too far west of Syracuse, and we're getting close to 15 inches+ here this evening. This is a shot of the deck, the picnic table in the enter back:

post-2466-0-23064500-1291681404.jpg

Well, I'm not too far west of Syracuse, and we're getting close to 15 inches+ here this evening. This is a shot of the deck, the picnic table in the enter back:

We drove west of Syracuse last night to avoid the LES on I81 through Cortland (heading towards Ithaca). Figured we avoided the worst of it by doing that, but we had some seriously heavy snow from Montezuma through Waterloo. The line was a direct NW shot from Rochester to Cortland. We clipped it from the Thruway to Waterloo, which was likely better than driving down 81. McLean/Dryden/Cortland were all reporting over a foot.

Where in the northern Finger Lakes are you?

We drove west of Syracuse last night to avoid the LES on I81 through Cortland (heading towards Ithaca). Figured we avoided the worst of it by doing that, but we had some seriously heavy snow from Montezuma through Waterloo. The line was a direct NW shot from Rochester to Cortland. We clipped it from the Thruway to Waterloo, which was likely better than driving down 81. McLean/Dryden/Cortland were all reporting over a foot.

Where in the northern Finger Lakes are you?

I live just about a mile from the Waterloo Thruway exit, between there and Montezuma, so right it the heart of the band you probably missed most of last night.

who knows just how far the extent of the precip waffles back.....models have been going back and forth, but a good sign is that its coming down here in montreal, meanig the core of the retrograde has stayed intact pretty well so far...EC has bumped up to 6 inches here now :lol: and its coming down.

tough call, this is one of those see how much you get situations when its all said and done.....hopefully ottawa get something decent out of this if the storm gets back far enough, quick enough before falling apart....

I checked radar and it looks like the precip is approaching the east end of Ottawa. Here's hoping. I am envious of you in Montreal. Hopefully Ottawa can get something decent out of the clipper on Friday, as well as the storm next Monday. If things shape up well, we may get a storm similar to the December 16,2007 storm next Monday - who knows.

I checked the Montreal traffic cameras and it looks like they're getting hammered! :snowman: I have to hand it to accuweather on this occasion. They were calling for a snowstorm in southern Quebec 3-4 days ago when EC was calling for just flurries or light snow. They certainly nailed this storm.

One outlook for Ottawa certainly looks promising. http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=54256&metric=true

Post lots of pictures for us unlucky folk receiving nothing but stray flurries laugh.gif Hope everyone enjoys it and continues to get dumped on into tomorrow!

Had the camera on wrong setting so it's a bit fuzzy, but here's one for impact purposes....I put a kitchen fork on the floor of my outdoor deck....20" now on the level with the heaviest snow (by far) occurring now (2+"/hr.):

1131270.jpg

I checked radar and it looks like the precip is approaching the east end of Ottawa. Here's hoping. I am envious of you in Montreal. Hopefully Ottawa can get something decent out of the clipper on Friday, as well as the storm next Monday. If things shape up well, we may get a storm similar to the December 16,2007 storm next Monday - who knows.

well we didnt get anything with the first retrograde like you did over the weekend.....in the end, we will have more snow though because this has been some impressive snow this evening here....but hopefully ottawa gets some more tonight as the band rotates back.

december 16, 2007, one of my top storms of alltime.:wub:

well we didnt get anything with the first retrograde like you did over the weekend.....in the end, we will have more snow though because this has been some impressive snow this evening here....but hopefully ottawa gets some more tonight as the band rotates back.

december 16, 2007, one of my top storms of alltime.:wub:

Dec.16, 07 is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the maps. :) I'm glad we are all in agreement ;)

Thanks Mike....Hey, radars the last 2 days have had the Tug Hill area lit up pretty good....how much have you recieved since Sat. evening?

I've gotten 5" since Sat evening, but I'm down in the valley right next to the Black River. I've heard from folks up in Turin that had gotten 5" lastnight-today.

Hey OL, good to see you again.. Ya, today's snow was a very nice surprise.. I'd say that we've already received about 6 inches in downtown Montreal, and it's still coming down, although not as heavily as it was an hour ago or 2 ago.. But considering that the forecast was calling for negligible snow accumulations, this is a very nice surprise.. :-)

Cheers,

Scratch

Hey OL, good to see you again.. Ya, today's snow was a very nice surprise.. I'd say that we've already received about 6 inches in downtown Montreal, and it's still coming down, although not as heavily as it was an hour ago or 2 ago.. But considering that the forecast was calling for negligible snow accumulations, this is a very nice surprise.. :-)

Cheers,

Scratch

Always give me goose bumbs to see Canadians use inches and feet while amongst mostly "Americans"!! :thumbsup::wub:

Thanks Mike....Hey, radars the last 2 days have had the Tug Hill area lit up pretty good....how much have you recieved since Sat. evening?

I was on the hill from about 7:30am to 4:30pm yest and got about 4 inches during that time.

Just back from the E.Syracuse area and there is about 2x as much snow ont he ground as I have here.

Cheers,

Scratch

Still nothing in Ottawa. Looksl ike we're getting virga. Still, I think our snow was forecast to come overnight.

Archived