• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

So close to my area, but that band keeps sliding to my south and east. Maybe at some point tonight will nudge just west enough to get in on some of the heavier stuff here. Wind is nice however, and with the snow has briefly disrupted my satellite signal a few times. Still, nice to see KALB getting in on some of the good stuff in comparison to some of the poor folks caught in the dryslot in SNE...KALB has struggled in the snow department the last handful of years.

that band has finally reached albany snow is picking up nicely now and the flake size is improving.. this is where we should see most of our accumulations in the next couple hours assuming the band doesn't fizzle out lol

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down in Southington CT visiting family. I thought I'd be in the center of the snow prize but we've been in this dreaded dry slot for hours. It looks like we may get back in the snow soon.

The winds have been the big story. We probably have 5 or 6 inches of snow, but lots of bare ground and drifts of 2+ feet. We've had some cool thundersnow. We've had 6 lightning flashes here over the past 3 hours.

Winds are just howling. Rattling the windows. I went for a walk in this a few hours ago and had to bend over to keep my balance. Wind gusts have to be in the neighborhood of 50mph. The sustained wind is strong enough that you can always hear the dull groan of it from inside the house.

A very impressive experience... I just wish this dry slot would move along and allow those heavy bands in NYC and eastern Jersey to come east.

Closing in on about 6" here. Slowed down for a while, but starting to pick up now. Just skied a few laps around the park. Beautiful.:weight_lift:

It's snowing quite nicely here and blowing hard now. Moderate+ anyway. Certainly a nice snowstorm out there even if not what they are getting S/E. We had 3 inches at 2:00 AM...not going back out so we'll see what has fallen at dawn.

on the northwest edge of these wrapped up systems you can really get some nice bands maybe eastern herkimer county is a secondary jackpot lol

I have a nice accumulation this morning. It is tough to measure because of all the wind effects, most spots I measured that looked "by eye" to be an average level were between 12 and 14 inches. The coolest thing is I have a snow cornice on the back side of my roof!

Congrats to all those in the eastern portions of our region! Long time coming.

For us LES misfits, models are giving a little love to those who cashed in earlier in the month....maybe enough, so that SYR can officially call this the snowiest month ever!! I look for the Tug Hill area to retake it's rightful place as the northeasts snowiest place for the last 3 weeks of JAN. You guys have never had to deal with "patience"! LOL!

wrf_precip36_F36.gif

I am saying 7" offical measurement here, but could be pushing 8....we'll never know with all the blowing. I went back into the woods and did the best I could to find a sheltered spot. Obviously more in Eastern Albany County and thence east.....

Back lawn ranges from 1" to 18" :) I have to go out and plow soon.

No they wouldn't that's because they would rather have the team and press focus on their on field play vs. their off-filed antics. ^_^:lol:

No they wouldn't have postponed it because they would rather have the team and press focus on their on field play vs. their off-field antics. ^_^:lol:

This one hurt.....................:arrowhead: All my family in NYC, Coastal NJ AOA 2feet and me desperately trying to find a 3" spot to measure in the shadow of the Adirondacks.

Archived