Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2011 Tornado Radar Images

andyhb

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that in fast storm motion cases, such as April 27th, base velocity is not going to give you a great representation of the strength of storm rotation.... because the forward motion will help to "mask" it. This is why storm relative velocity was created. To get this on GR2Analyst, you must not only select SRV, but you must give the program a storm motion. Below are the steps for that.

1. Pick an easily identifiable feature on the radar, such as a debris ball or something... then go back in time one frame.

2. Right click where that feature is located on the previous frame and select Place Marker Here.

3. Jump back forward to the latest frame and right click where the same storm feature on the radar is currently located, and then select Storm Motion from Marker.

This is important, not only because it gives you an SRV from the raw base velocity product, but also because it allows corrections with the volumetric data... which helps with more accurate hail estimates, placement of the hail markers, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

By far the least impressive radar image, but a tornado image nonetheless (and a look at what I have to deal with now ;)).

Part of the outbreak in New England on June 1st (same day of the Springfield, MA EF3). Maybe even more rare than the number of discrete supercells (right and left movers too) in the GYX CWA, might be the fact that this tornado was captured by a camera.

Pretty sure that this was moving towards and to the right of the photographer as the tornado developed and quickly occluded (a new meso and hard right turn commenced over the next 20 minutes). But a well defined wall cloud, RFD cut and separated updraft/downdraft.

• 1 month later...

Somehow I hadn't seen this thread before now... but wow what a spectacular thread. April 27th really was an incredible day. So thankful that none of those long-tracked tornadoes came into the Atlanta metro area. That would've been horrible. :yikes:

You folks there got really, really lucky.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have the Color Table for this Spectrum Width image? I've been looking for this ever since 4/25!

AR14.png

Here you go:

units: KTS
step: 2
decimals: 1
color: 0.0 0 128 255
color: 0.1 20 5 72
color: 7 84 38 178
color: 9.7 188 55 120
color: 14 251 126 33  255 255 0
color: 19 255 255 255  192 192 192
color: 50 255 0 0

I'll smooth some products, MEHS, POSH, VIL, NROT (I can't remember if you can?) but I just don't like the look of smoothed reflectivity.

Can you smooth the new DP products?

Yes, in fact sometimes it's worth it to smooth it. Zdr and CC can be very noisy. Smoothing helps pick out patterns.

Yes, in fact sometimes it's worth it to smooth it. Zdr and CC can be very noisy. Smoothing helps pick out patterns.

I don't like the idea of smoothing Zdr and RhoHV. They are often noisy but a lot of that noise is valuable. Some RhoHV signatures are so small that smoothing may lose them entirely, or at least make them harder to identify. I personally think the best bet is to just learn how to identify noise v. signatures.

I smooth mine as well.

Dual-pol variables are 1.0o azimuthal resolution in AWIPS because they are recombined at the RPG to 1.0o, so operationally we actually never see super res dual-pol data. That being the case, I don't see a need to see super res on GR2Analyst and find it quite distracting with all the noise.

Archived