Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2011 Tornado Radar Images

andyhb

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys do attenuation correction with the dual-Pol variables?

Yes actually we include in the data files both corrected and uncorrected ZDR. It adds to our file size but allows for some offline experimentation in the correction process.

We also have network based attenuation correction for Z and ZDR. Often at X band no matter how good your single radar attenuation correction is you can't recover the signal from a given radar, especially in the case of radome attenuation, so we use adjacent radars when possible.

Yes actually we include in the data files both corrected and uncorrected ZDR. It adds to our file size but allows for some offline experimentation in the correction process.

We also have network based attenuation correction for Z and ZDR. Often at X band no matter how good your single radar attenuation correction is you can't recover the signal from a given radar, especially in the case of radome attenuation, so we use adjacent radars when possible.

Do you think the corrected Z is accurate enough to do rigorous radar rainfall work with?

Do you think the corrected Z is accurate enough to do rigorous radar rainfall work with?

No, at least not at X band. It may be at C or S band. Our more recent QPE product is primarily based on KDP (specific differential phase) and seems to perform much better.

edit, - so as not to take this too far OT, one more from the Chickasha Tornado:

post-992-0-59581400-1310592986.gif

I found this map of April 27th rather disturbing, showing the valid 20Z reports (700 after 20Z out of 937 after 12Z) on top of the 20Z Conv. Outlook. I can't imagine the magnitude if that massive section of MDT risk had actually verified or if that hole around Atlanta wasn't a hole...

day1otlk_v_20110427_2000.gif

Best thread in the history of the universe.

Here are a couple of the images I saved on May 24. I use the funky color table to maximize legibility of both the radar imagery and the road/navigation info while chasing, sometimes while my screen is in direct sunlight. My position is shown at Blanchard, but in reality I had backtracked a bit on the radar loop to save the images, so this image is deceptive. I had intercepted at Chickasha, but was unable to stay with the storms. When I was in Blanchard, as shown here, the tornadoes were actually by then to my NE and SSE. After stopping in Blanchard to save these images I drove north to see if I could help the victims at Hwy9.

post-6546-0-27676900-1311540147.png

post-6546-0-44599000-1311539905.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another rather chilling image I found showing the tornado tracks of April 27th (although some of them were found to be caused by multiple tornadoes). The scariest parts were to see that the Tuscaloosa tornado took a jog to the north near Bessemer to the southwest of Birmingham just in time. It is easy to see how that massive 1.5 mile wide wedge could have easily gone right through downtown and just how close the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado was from plowing through Madison, Huntsville or Decatur, all major population centers in Northern AL...

tor%2Btracks.jpg

No, considering many of these images are from around this site :thumbsup:

Or it could be if you think you're watching radar too much transfixed by the intensity of the storms...:yikes:

awesome thread man! april 27th blows my mind. i am so obsessed with that outbreak. just the shear magnitude, size of the tornadoes, and number of strong to violent tornadoes was unreal. i remember that HRRR image the night before. i was like if that verifies, which it did, may god be with those people. and i also have the same feeling as you about something similar to this happening in the near future. i read somewhere where the global temperature average is like 1.5C higher i think. cant remember the number. but anyways, the warming trend can only aid in more violent storm systems. the moisture this year has been nothing less than impressive. and when adding a very strong jet stream to the mix we all know what happens.

Thanks for the kind words.

However, warming the temperatures also can have negative effects on severe storm development as well and I wouldn't be so quick to bring any sort of climate change into the ballgame.

On another note: I really need to get my rear in gear and pick up GRLevel3/2 since I'm a little tired of not being able to see these things myself live and having to post other people's radar images, especially before the upcoming Fall Severe Season...

However, warming the temperatures also can have negative effects on severe storm development as well and I wouldn't be so quick to bring climate change into the ballgame.

We're probably a ways away before there would be enough of a climate change to significantly impact severe thunderstorm development/frequency, and it's unclear exactly what the impact would be. One idea is that warmer temperatures would lead to a weaker jet stream and thus weaker shear. Point is that it's not simple.

However, warming the temperatures also can have negative effects on severe storm development as well and I wouldn't be so quick to bring any sort of climate change into the ballgame.

oh i wasnt trying to bring climate into it cuz i know that is a very controversial topic. and you are right. warming can have negative and positive effects on severe storms. just remember reading an article about the global average temperature increasing. there are many things which made this year epic. a very strong La Nina which had a major impact on the jet stream position and strength and ridiculous amounts of moisture from a warmer than average Gulf are just a few of them.

oh i wasnt trying to bring climate into it cuz i know that is a very controversial topic. and you are right. warming can have negative and positive effects on severe storms. just remember reading an article about the global average temperature increasing. there are many things which made this year epic. a very strong La Nina which had a major impact on the jet stream position and strength and ridiculous amounts of moisture from a warmer than average Gulf are just a few of them.

A lot of bad luck as well. You put 5 or 10 of these tornadoes on different paths and this year seems way less destructive.

A lot of bad luck as well. You put 5 or 10 of these tornadoes on different paths and this year seems way less destructive.

this was a horrible year for direct hits on big cities and towns. so many outbreaks were in dense areas of population. and with the strength of some of the tornadoes, like Joplin, even if you take shelter, that isnt even enough sometime. i am sure plenty of people and commericial contractors are considering better storm shelters.

I will likely be writing a report on 2011 once the year comes to an end outlining all of the major tornadic events of this year (we could see more this Fall) and some of the statistics/weather scenarios that came together for each one.

cant wait to read! i am a big severe weather nerd. i love going back and reading forecast discussions, looking at the storm environment, and see how events panned out. severe weather is my life

Archived